Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Which pole SLX or OVA-8

Lee89

Apologies if this has been covered. 

I am going to buy a new pole which can reach up to around 40ft. 

I am torn between the SLX 35 or OVA-8. 

Currently use a supermax 22 which is great but does grind my gears when it spins every now and then. Although it’s an easy fix tightening up the clamps further. 

I like the design idea of the OVA-8 but have no experience with them. 

This pole will be not be used as much, just for windows I can’t reach with the supermax. 

Do any of you have experience with both poles and which would you recommend? 

Thanks

Apologies if this has been covered. 

I am going to buy a new pole which can reach up to around 40ft. 

I am torn between the SLX 35 or OVA-8. 

Currently use a supermax 22 which is great but does grind my gears when it spins every now and then. Although it’s an easy fix tightening up the clamps further. 

I like the design idea of the OVA-8 but have no experience with them. 

This pole will be not be used as much, just for windows I can’t reach with the supermax. 

Do any of you have experience with both poles and which would you recommend? 

Thanks

I'm new to the wfp world and recently bought  an ova8 pole. I did a lot of researce on the web to see feedback re various makes of poles. The ova8 is relatively new on the scene but I decided to opt for the ova22ft. The design has been well thought out and after using it for a few weeks I'm really impressed. The anti spin is a great benefit over the other poles out there. I purchased mine from Varitech Systems in Newton Abbot, Devon. Just give them a call 01626 830830 and speak to Ziggy and he will give you a lot of info over the phone, and then you can make a decision what is best for you. Obviously I can't comment on the 40fr pole as mine is only 22ft but I guess it performs just as well.

John

Gleam Clean

Tamar Valley Cornwall

It will be interesting to see how this pole series wears. I remember buying a three sided pole when I first got into wfp back in 2007. I thought the anti spin idea was great. Problem was it actually created more wear along the length of the pole due to the friction. The pole only lasted six months before it split along its length and snapped in half. Of course, pole design has come a long way since then

I’ve had an Ova8 HM with 3K wrap for around 9 months. 30foot 9 sections.  I use external hose so very easily break the pole down to the length required (all sections pull apart) for the job at hand. Clamps are good (just heard due to be upgraded with the soft internal liner) . Over 6 months of steady use there is zero wear. I’ve never adjusted the clamps. The biggest bonus however is the feel. The shape just seems more comfortable to hold. I believe it’s got something to do with knowing that it will never spin so you can relax and use a lighter grip. The pic attached is comparing it with my RI Tactical (albeit with the excellent Phantom Clamps). Illustrates the weights at the most useful lengths I use on an everyday basis.

20AEF9FE-4C0A-40F9-B46A-D4D2262E773B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Another windie I met a few months ago had ova 17’ seriously heavy compare to my 18’ 100% not for me.

Review on YouTube about ova8 pole he was very pleased with it , 6month later he made a comment on the posts saying load of rubbish stay clear and has ordered new gardiner pole

heres the link 

Pretty sure a mate of  @tench0771 had one when they first came out and the reviews was bad then I think the clamps fell apart, for years I tried other poles despite Gardiners poles been very well rated years ago went through 4 different poles over a number of years but would now be hard pressed to try anything else, 

Gardiners poles brushes etc all very good and they have always looked after me in the past if I've had any issues they have being dealt with promptly even given me replacement sections as a goodwill gesture when I've had them snapped so never seriously wanted to part with my money on another suppliers pole.

Thanks for the link Wind o kleen. 

Changed my mind again after watching it haha. 

I agree with Iron Giant. Gardiners always look after you and are more than happy to help with any issues. And they gave me a free carbon fibre pen last time I ordered ?

I have an ova 8 40 footer and its bloody heavy. I wish I had gone for a gardner instead as this would have been lighter. However I really like the 17 footer nice and comfy grip and peace of mind that I will not have to replace sections due to spinning shafts

I’ll go to bat for the current Ova8 range available here in NZ. Like all poles they come in different configurations and different mixes of carbon (modulus, stiffness ratings and finishes). My one is a custom order, HM Carbon with a final 3K wrap. As you can see in my above photo the weights at various lengths are comparable if not lighter than my RI Tactical noting that both are heavier than some of the Gardiner options. ...although if I’d wished (and was prepared to spend the extra)... I could have shed weight by stipulating the thinner walled UHM Carbon, with or without the 3K wrap. The stiffness to 30ft is really very impressive. The clamps I have are the second generation ones and the angle adaptors have been changed since that early one in the video... remember in the video that pole appears to be one of the early ones. However, if you are happy with Gardiner and your concerns regards service with them are consistently addressed ?‍♂️ Then stay with them. Why change for the sake of change?
BUT I will say... x1 lone window cleaner saying x6 days a week for 8 months and they’re ‘pants’ with zero explanation of his issues ? and That’s enough to say ‘not for me’? 

Lovin my ova8 22ft, and look ? mine came with the ova8 girl as well!

View attachment 21174

View attachment 21175
Nice ass and all ??

I’ll go to bat for the current Ova8 range available here in NZ. Like all poles they come in different configurations and different mixes of carbon (modulus, stiffness ratings and finishes). My one is a custom order, HM Carbon with a final 3K wrap. As you can see in my above photo the weights at various lengths are comparable if not lighter than my RI Tactical noting that both are heavier than some of the Gardiner options. ...although if I’d wished (and was prepared to spend the extra)... I could have shed weight by stipulating the thinner walled UHM Carbon, with or without the 3K wrap. The stiffness to 30ft is really very impressive. The clamps I have are the second generation ones and the angle adaptors have been changed since that early one in the video... remember in the video that pole appears to be one of the early ones. However, if you are happy with Gardiner and your concerns regards service with them are consistently addressed ?‍♂️ Then stay with them. Why change for the sake of change?
BUT I will say... x1 lone window cleaner saying x6 days a week for 8 months and they’re ‘pants’ with zero explanation of his issues ? and That’s enough to say ‘not for me’? 
What is the wrap for ? I always wondered why poles didn’t come with something like this to reduce wear if that is what it’s for ? 

Nice ass and all ??

What is the wrap for ? I always wondered why poles didn’t come with something like this to reduce wear if that is what it’s for ? 
The theory is that being a crosshatch weave when added as a finishing layer on a section comprised of unidirectional fibre, it provides added strength and rigidity. For me? I’m just OCD. Every pole I’ve owned has been 3K finished. I just like the look of it. It’s unmistakable that the pole is Carbon Fibre. Now I have no idea if it reduces wear, but, I have to say wear on any of my poles has been negligible. The worst was my second Reach-it Mini but that was down to the old ‘Tuff’ Clamps. If a section spins ?‍♂️ The grind will cause wear, especially if there’s grit and dust trapped in the clamp. 

The theory is that being a crosshatch weave when added as a finishing layer on a section comprised of unidirectional fibre, it provides added strength and rigidity. For me? I’m just OCD. Every pole I’ve owned has been 3K finished. I just like the look of it. It’s unmistakable that the pole is Carbon Fibre. Now I have no idea if it reduces wear, but, I have to say wear on any of my poles has been negligible. The worst was my second Reach-it Mini but that was down to the old ‘Tuff’ Clamps. If a section spins ?‍♂️ The grind will cause wear, especially if there’s grit and dust trapped in the clamp. 
Does this prevent " black hand syndrome" or do you have to clean and lacquer the pole still

Back