Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Leaky o-clips on a univalve

WCF

Help Support WCF:

D

Deleted member 9069

Hello everyone... Noob here with a question about o-clips. I have a Univalve fitted and have squeezed some o-clips to make it a secure fit but one of them still allows a dribble of water to come out. Any help in how to squeeze that last little bit or another product that would help. 

Thanks

Hello everyone... Noob here with a question about o-clips. I have a Univalve fitted and have squeezed some o-clips to make it a secure fit but one of them still allows a dribble of water to come out. Any help in how to squeeze that last little bit or another product that would help. 

Thanks
Have you got the right size o-clip Or the internal diameter of the pole hose

the o clips need cutting off and new correct ones fitting....the correct ones  are 7-9 or 9-11 depending on what pole hose your using....they wont leak at all if theyve been fitted correctly....

i guess your using the less stretchy PU pole hose?

the o clips need cutting off and new correct ones fitting....the correct ones  are 7-9 or 9-11 depending on what pole hose your using....they wont leak at all if theyve been fitted correctly....

i guess your using the less stretchy PU pole hose?
I am using the standard hose that came with my pole from wcw and the clips I am using are the 7-9... I think I will cut it off and try again. 

My guess is it's any one of three things, or possibly a combination :

1/  The O ring is too large

1/  The O ring is on the narrow part of the spigot instead of on the ringed part

3/  The O ring was compressed with a pliers instead of with a side cutter or pincers. In which case it likely hasn't closed fully to its smallest diameter. A pliers will flatten the side rings on a compression ring which can then prevent it from tightening fully. Not everyone realises that the side rings should only be compressed in the narrower part. The small, side loops should still be loops after compression.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the standard hose that came with your pole a PU or PVC hose. If it's a PVC hose which is very likely, I would recommend throwing it away if you want to have a good experience with the Univalve.

PVC hose is soft by comparison to PU hose which makes it incompatible with the Univalve in certain conditions. It is also prone to leaking if the 'o' clamps are not crimped very tight. However, doing this can distort the barbs on either end of the valve as they are only plastic. 

Get some PU pole hose. All the major suppliers sell it. I'm not recommending one over another as they are improving them all the time. However, none of the PU hoses I've used have even needed 'o' clamps fitted as they tend to grip tighter when you pull on them. The only leaks I've experienced are from the Univlave itself it the pressure is turned up too high or if there's some wear in the univalve allowing water to escape past the 'o' rings inside. I suspect most leaky Univales are probably from having the pressure set too high on the flow controller.

Back