Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van Tracking !!!

Omega

Thought I would share something with you for those of you that run multiple vans.

Been looking into GPS tracking for a little while and finally purchased a unit from GPS Live.
Plugs into the OBDD port and is totally incredible.

Tracks the gps location, provides you a history and you can even view engine rpm, fuel level, coolant temp, speed and battery condition etc.

I know some won't be bothered to track your vehicles but if you do then these units are really high tech and I thought it would sharing.
The other thing is that there is no setup required at all. Just plugged it in to the van. Logged in using the details and account they have already setup and it monitoring straight away.

If you want to, you can setup alerts when the van is operated outside of certain hours or even if the van is being driven too harsh.

It's £5 a month for the subscription but I would imagine in many instances, having your van or vans being driven with respect will save that £60 down the line in maintenance and fuel.
The unit was around £80.

Anyway. I'm not selling this myself although it may sound like it. I was just so impressed that I thought it would be selfish not to share!

Great system for employee to job site tracking and time management but plug and play systems aren't great for insurance related anti theft as the are easy to find and remove in seconds.

If you have a 16 plate Peugeot partner with the most common matchbox size device in the OBD port the glove box won't close correctly and flies open on bumpy roads. (I had one) 

For security related installations a hardwire professional fitted system is better and hidden deep behind the dash and instrument cluster

More money for more piece of mind.

Also you'll need to issue employees with a data protection and privacy statement even when they are your vehicles. 

Some record and transmit live audio so slagging off your boss won't work in your favour 

There are devices on sale that block the signals of trackers. So a professional thief can defeat them with the flick of a switch.

They are good for your own benefit though. Just don't expect them to help tracing a vehicle if it's stolen!

There are devices on sale that block the signals of trackers. So a professional thief can defeat them with the flick of a switch.

They are good for your own benefit though. Just don't expect them to help tracing a vehicle if it's stolen!
you can build a simple GSM GLONASS Jammer within a few minutes or buy one on ebay.

Most chaps that say they have trackers are plugged into the ODB2 port.

If you know your van you'll find it in seconds before hot wiring the van and smashing the steering wheel lock.

That trackers will be on your drive in less than 30 seconds in pieces.

If you get a tracker get a hardwired CAT classified hidden installation as they take ages to find and don't have a flashing signal led that says "I'm here"

Well that's my tuppence worth.

I used to install them.

Back