Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best Way to Remove O - Clips

Louis

What is the best way to remove O-clips?

At the moment I twist and wrestle with them with the plyers used to put them on, and try to clamp down on the side bits from different angles- it's messy and takes a while.

There must be an easier way, any advice welcome - thank you

20200530_131535.png

What is the best way to remove O-clips?

At the moment I twist and wrestle with them with the plyers used to put them on, and try to clamp down on the side bits from different angles- it's messy and takes a while.

There must be an easier way, any advice welcome - thank you

View attachment 21190
If you are using the O clips supplied by Exceed Innovations then you can remove them by 'nibbling' an ear off with your O clip pliers.

I have purchased some off ebay which are made of stainless steel so I have to get the grinder onto them. If I'm removing them holding the hose onto a plastic barb then I can't let the O Clip get too hot as it will melt the hose barb. Someone else suggested a Driemel tool a while back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a flat head screwdriver like a chisel, and a hammer. You can break through the ear/tail bit. Takes about 2 minutes of some good hitting but always works And I’ve never broken a univalve yet. 

Pair on pliers and slightly squeeze the ends that are crimped. Then dip in boiling water for about 2 mins then pull the fitting out. You may have to squeeze the o clip another time but always works for me.

I use the Knipex cutter. Second item from left in the photo. It's about 6 inches long. Not cheap. I think it was about £30 but it's nice and compact and the German quality is superb. It will nip straight through the double eared ones like butter. The single eared hard steel ones that Gardiner's supply are a little less easy but no problem. I nip them in small bites and work it that way. I tried a Bremel disc cutter but I melted plastic spigots on Univalve and Slick Connect.

20200613_191031.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gardiners have a video showing how to remove these. Cut hose as close to the end of the barb as possible. Then use piers to grasp one end of the o clip and the top of the barb and squeeze.

Back