Jump to content

controller connectors, what you use?


Recommended Posts

Cant remember now what connectors came with my spring controller and one shot, but had problems with them becoming disconnected now and then. Still happens a bit now. Powers there, but pump wont start. Fiddle about a bit with where wires join, and it starts. Strange, because you look at the wires, and they seem to be joined ok. Anyone else had issue and solved it with excellent connectors? 

Link to post
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, ks789 said:

Cant remember now what connectors came with my spring controller and one shot, but had problems with them becoming disconnected now and then. Still happens a bit now. Powers there, but pump wont start. Fiddle about a bit with where wires join, and it starts. Strange, because you look at the wires, and they seem to be joined ok. Anyone else had issue and solved it with excellent connectors? 

Either blue or red depending in wire size.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adhesive-Lined-Heat-Shrink-Butt-Connectors-Crimp-Terminal-Terminals-Connector/121214389438?var=420198681253&hash=item1c38f0ccbe:g:NlwAAOSwuAVW1Xgf

and the correct crimping tool

 

New on the market are these heat shrink solder butt connectors which don't need a crimping tool

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-20x-Solder-Seal-Sleeve-Heat-Shrink-Butt-Wire-Connectors-Terminals-Waterproof/372919444440?var=641715642333&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item56d3bb23d8:g:gBAAAOSwNexb5pnZ&enc=AQAFAAACgBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickk8ihYa55VeJusc0Ydu6jng18NOMeaU7h3rSU6jy2zBGEGbJ8%2F0N5ikX%2BCLtFMUazp8YlJhfNOOgCDC1%2B4v9CKsB%2FDBJ8vnxHJrG6McT8GLF8%2Be0dnVcHB20EWHKIJ94COMHDnkS%2FPa921IC3xckGij%2BRKa2mKWyuTlw6%2FEDIV%2BYW7VgCmmwrknq68fVP7BXcafhsX5cFvMaN0Ot%2FBdmtdl9kBE011e1cnFzneCvosizWn2XOEfnDxl%2FeUy4XWWFRY1AUjvX4qXqemQV8pkhTUmd%2Bb0ks9Uq8fDcSgfsnlTwqzczFk5D40JCCsVvlaM9J81Nee8HFkcxf5qTWPZ18evn%2Fotr8IoPekNeKL1vgzSCfbfmRJ7vHX8eq%2BqgEp9Q85%2Be%2FGKhyS8HYAwmfaPXsucEQIa7eEtOIdK%2FT4F3NhWyz2I9%2FWkn%2B%2BlA6s5KCabybu25J6AC9o9K%2FgfvbYXCmmVFvwC%2Fr5lagOn2xq76YkidD%2BMCF8tXf37RINU5sIXo2P0XvUhPVpTuihhdi%2FdOACFXAt1h%2BPGXHfUWG9JmpJY4yH7u%2BEum0RYQpTFg4PpEuTUZkMktAaiYt9aZgTQQOHQj%2BrPxWncfG3ZfDRd2SGjhFEoFB4vH28D24dMh%2BERiY4UGLChokpjC%2Bz7hN9GTyFFQQcThWEUj971lq3H5O4EmJGVIvI%2BEaqQnFyscEUEsuv49gwwLmg4YWQJSDK9WTw5XzSdJgqR%2B3aa46hz%2Byyv8uejG0o4raEJkFDtUnGeFfadx9%2FJaPypONmmBbI%2FV1wwjZhXXDgOmSSvS3CwlA8zdg%3D&checksum=372919444440f135f89435424c40a3dc7e4843a768f8

(Sorry about the long link. There must be a way of hiding it behind a word which you click on but I don't know how to do it.)

Here is a video on how join wires with these connectors.

 

Edited by spruce
  • Like 2
Link to post
14 minutes ago, spruce said:

Either blue or red depending in wire size.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adhesive-Lined-Heat-Shrink-Butt-Connectors-Crimp-Terminal-Terminals-Connector/121214389438?var=420198681253&hash=item1c38f0ccbe:g:NlwAAOSwuAVW1Xgf

and the correct crimping tool

 

New on the market are these heat shrink solder butt connectors which don't need a crimping tool

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-20x-Solder-Seal-Sleeve-Heat-Shrink-Butt-Wire-Connectors-Terminals-Waterproof/372919444440?var=641715642333&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item56d3bb23d8:g:gBAAAOSwNexb5pnZ&enc=AQAFAAACgBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickk8ihYa55VeJusc0Ydu6jng18NOMeaU7h3rSU6jy2zBGEGbJ8%2F0N5ikX%2BCLtFMUazp8YlJhfNOOgCDC1%2B4v9CKsB%2FDBJ8vnxHJrG6McT8GLF8%2Be0dnVcHB20EWHKIJ94COMHDnkS%2FPa921IC3xckGij%2BRKa2mKWyuTlw6%2FEDIV%2BYW7VgCmmwrknq68fVP7BXcafhsX5cFvMaN0Ot%2FBdmtdl9kBE011e1cnFzneCvosizWn2XOEfnDxl%2FeUy4XWWFRY1AUjvX4qXqemQV8pkhTUmd%2Bb0ks9Uq8fDcSgfsnlTwqzczFk5D40JCCsVvlaM9J81Nee8HFkcxf5qTWPZ18evn%2Fotr8IoPekNeKL1vgzSCfbfmRJ7vHX8eq%2BqgEp9Q85%2Be%2FGKhyS8HYAwmfaPXsucEQIa7eEtOIdK%2FT4F3NhWyz2I9%2FWkn%2B%2BlA6s5KCabybu25J6AC9o9K%2FgfvbYXCmmVFvwC%2Fr5lagOn2xq76YkidD%2BMCF8tXf37RINU5sIXo2P0XvUhPVpTuihhdi%2FdOACFXAt1h%2BPGXHfUWG9JmpJY4yH7u%2BEum0RYQpTFg4PpEuTUZkMktAaiYt9aZgTQQOHQj%2BrPxWncfG3ZfDRd2SGjhFEoFB4vH28D24dMh%2BERiY4UGLChokpjC%2Bz7hN9GTyFFQQcThWEUj971lq3H5O4EmJGVIvI%2BEaqQnFyscEUEsuv49gwwLmg4YWQJSDK9WTw5XzSdJgqR%2B3aa46hz%2Byyv8uejG0o4raEJkFDtUnGeFfadx9%2FJaPypONmmBbI%2FV1wwjZhXXDgOmSSvS3CwlA8zdg%3D&checksum=372919444440f135f89435424c40a3dc7e4843a768f8

(Sorry about the long link. There must be a way of hiding it behind a word which you click on but I don't know how to do it.)

Here is a video on how join wires with these connectors.

 

Ah yes, I used to use similar in a factory I used to work at. Looks a good method, cheers for that spruce.

Link to post
1 hour ago, spruce said:

Either blue or red depending in wire size.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adhesive-Lined-Heat-Shrink-Butt-Connectors-Crimp-Terminal-Terminals-Connector/121214389438?var=420198681253&hash=item1c38f0ccbe:g:NlwAAOSwuAVW1Xgf

and the correct crimping tool

 

New on the market are these heat shrink solder butt connectors which don't need a crimping tool

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-20x-Solder-Seal-Sleeve-Heat-Shrink-Butt-Wire-Connectors-Terminals-Waterproof/372919444440?var=641715642333&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item56d3bb23d8:g:gBAAAOSwNexb5pnZ&enc=AQAFAAACgBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickk8ihYa55VeJusc0Ydu6jng18NOMeaU7h3rSU6jy2zBGEGbJ8%2F0N5ikX%2BCLtFMUazp8YlJhfNOOgCDC1%2B4v9CKsB%2FDBJ8vnxHJrG6McT8GLF8%2Be0dnVcHB20EWHKIJ94COMHDnkS%2FPa921IC3xckGij%2BRKa2mKWyuTlw6%2FEDIV%2BYW7VgCmmwrknq68fVP7BXcafhsX5cFvMaN0Ot%2FBdmtdl9kBE011e1cnFzneCvosizWn2XOEfnDxl%2FeUy4XWWFRY1AUjvX4qXqemQV8pkhTUmd%2Bb0ks9Uq8fDcSgfsnlTwqzczFk5D40JCCsVvlaM9J81Nee8HFkcxf5qTWPZ18evn%2Fotr8IoPekNeKL1vgzSCfbfmRJ7vHX8eq%2BqgEp9Q85%2Be%2FGKhyS8HYAwmfaPXsucEQIa7eEtOIdK%2FT4F3NhWyz2I9%2FWkn%2B%2BlA6s5KCabybu25J6AC9o9K%2FgfvbYXCmmVFvwC%2Fr5lagOn2xq76YkidD%2BMCF8tXf37RINU5sIXo2P0XvUhPVpTuihhdi%2FdOACFXAt1h%2BPGXHfUWG9JmpJY4yH7u%2BEum0RYQpTFg4PpEuTUZkMktAaiYt9aZgTQQOHQj%2BrPxWncfG3ZfDRd2SGjhFEoFB4vH28D24dMh%2BERiY4UGLChokpjC%2Bz7hN9GTyFFQQcThWEUj971lq3H5O4EmJGVIvI%2BEaqQnFyscEUEsuv49gwwLmg4YWQJSDK9WTw5XzSdJgqR%2B3aa46hz%2Byyv8uejG0o4raEJkFDtUnGeFfadx9%2FJaPypONmmBbI%2FV1wwjZhXXDgOmSSvS3CwlA8zdg%3D&checksum=372919444440f135f89435424c40a3dc7e4843a768f8

(Sorry about the long link. There must be a way of hiding it behind a word which you click on but I don't know how to do it.)

Here is a video on how join wires with these connectors.

 

Yes but look at the price 😬😬😬😬

Link to post

Have you tried Wago connectors

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wago-Connectors-Cable-221-Series-221-412-221-413-221-415-New-Style-Stockist/191683485262?var=490722181672

Wago.jpg.346cfe7ad504bffaca8137fa3f764ff6.jpg

Just rewired my trolley with these. Extremely easy to fit. Don't know how long they will last but they seem pretty robust. Was recommended them by an electrician. All you need is something to strip the end of the wires with. No soldering iron, screwdriver or crimping tools needed. Just lift the orange lever put the bared wire in and snap it shut. They are also re-usable.

  • Like 2
Link to post
1 hour ago, Marko067 said:

Have you tried Wago connectors

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wago-Connectors-Cable-221-Series-221-412-221-413-221-415-New-Style-Stockist/191683485262?var=490722181672

Wago.jpg.346cfe7ad504bffaca8137fa3f764ff6.jpg

Just rewired my trolley with these. Extremely easy to fit. Don't know how long they will last but they seem pretty robust. Was recommended them by an electrician. All you need is something to strip the end of the wires with. No soldering iron, screwdriver or crimping tools needed. Just lift the orange lever put the bared wire in and snap it shut. They are also re-usable.

yeh they look very handy, just knife to strip wire with and away. I see screwfix do them.

Link to post
3 hours ago, Pjj said:

Yes but look at the price 😬😬😬😬

£4.79 for 20 pieces? The join is soldered and sealed against moisture.

Link to post
3 hours ago, Marko067 said:

Have you tried Wago connectors

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wago-Connectors-Cable-221-Series-221-412-221-413-221-415-New-Style-Stockist/191683485262?var=490722181672

Wago.jpg.346cfe7ad504bffaca8137fa3f764ff6.jpg

Just rewired my trolley with these. Extremely easy to fit. Don't know how long they will last but they seem pretty robust. Was recommended them by an electrician. All you need is something to strip the end of the wires with. No soldering iron, screwdriver or crimping tools needed. Just lift the orange lever put the bared wire in and snap it shut. They are also re-usable.

That’s what water works are using on the 3D reels 

Just now, spruce said:

£4.79 for 20 pieces? The join is soldered and sealed against moisture.

Thought they were £4:79 each that’s how I read it ?.... could be wrong ??? 

Link to post
3 minutes ago, spruce said:

£4.79 for 20 pieces? The join is soldered and sealed against moisture.

Lol looking at the add again I think you could be right 😂😬😂😬

Link to post
1 minute ago, Pjj said:

That’s what water works are using on the 3D reels 

Thought they were £4:79 each that’s how I read it ?.... could be wrong ??? 

If they were per each then they would have to be gold plated. If they are made in China then they can't be gold as they haven't any.😀

Link to post
1 minute ago, spruce said:

If they were per each then they would have to be gold plated. If they are made in China then they can't be gold as they haven't any.😀

😂😂😂 I have a friend who’s a marine electrician he does  all my electrics I’ll ask him if he has anything like it , last time he did work for me he used solder and soldering iron and shrink wrap stuff , he’s wiring up my new van in a couple of weeks so will see what he uses this time . 

Link to post

I'm Trying them after being recommended them by a friend. However, he's not a window cleaner.

I was initially concerned about the moisture issue especially as I'm a trolley user. I have been using bullet connectors but it's all the stripping a crimping that gets me and if you get it wrong they're waisted as you can't use them again.

I've wired my trolley with all the connectors under the main part with drip loops in all the cables so hopefully no water will run into the connectors from the wires. I tend to service my trolley electrics once a year so I'll use that as a gauge. If I have trouble with them before the years up I won't rate them very high. However, if they prove to be as good as my friend suggests they will make servicing a lot easier.

20200628_165840.thumb.jpg.c15a8650b3858ca5f3295af95ef90b3a.jpg

20200628_170201.thumb.jpg.009aa7db1378540e77a4dc62fd6eba89.jpg

20200628_165954.thumb.jpg.11caa031ebdd1a2e550ef4670a22949f.jpg

Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pjj said:

😂😂😂 I have a friend who’s a marine electrician he does  all my electrics I’ll ask him if he has anything like it , last time he did work for me he used solder and soldering iron and shrink wrap stuff , he’s wiring up my new van in a couple of weeks so will see what he uses this time . 

That's exactly what I do.

 

2 hours ago, Marko067 said:

I'm Trying them after being recommended them by a friend. However, he's not a window cleaner.

I was initially concerned about the moisture issue especially as I'm a trolley user. I have been using bullet connectors but it's all the stripping a crimping that gets me and if you get it wrong they're waisted as you can't use them again.

I've wired my trolley with all the connectors under the main part with drip loops in all the cables so hopefully no water will run into the connectors from the wires. I tend to service my trolley electrics once a year so I'll use that as a gauge. If I have trouble with them before the years up I won't rate them very high. However, if they prove to be as good as my friend suggests they will make servicing a lot easier.

20200628_165840.thumb.jpg.c15a8650b3858ca5f3295af95ef90b3a.jpg

20200628_170201.thumb.jpg.009aa7db1378540e77a4dc62fd6eba89.jpg

20200628_165954.thumb.jpg.11caa031ebdd1a2e550ef4670a22949f.jpg

I've looked at them and like the look of them. I was just concerned about moisture and corrosion of the stripped back wiring. We used to join wires with strip connectors but in time the connections went bad.

I think they are ideal in a residential environment.

I will say this again; your trolley upgrade/conversion looks very professional.

 

 

Edited by spruce
Link to post
Posted (edited)

Here’s a puzzle. Unrelated to connectors however.
My old simple pure freedom PWM controller was still working but when I removed it to repaint the trolley I damaged the casing as one of the nuts had rusted inside. So I decided to put together another one from parts available on eBay. What you can see is the result and works very well. The PF one was a 7amp one, the new one is rated for currents up to 12amps.

The Puzzle: Whereas I used to have the PF one set to 80% to get the flow I like to work with, this new one only needs to be set to 60-65%. Could it be because I’ve used slightly heavier gauge wire, so less resistance in the wiring? The controller is still only a simple PWM controller.

Edited by Marko067
Link to post

It could be the 'mark space ratio' is different between old and new controller. Mark space ratio is how long the +ve pulse is vs the 0 pulse. The old one might not start at zero but say 20% and go to 100% +ve, new one might go from zero to 100% +ve. I guess the old one was setup for the supplied pump new one just a generic controller.

Link to post
10 hours ago, spruce said:

totally rubbish and agree. Low temperature solder which is acidic and degrades with inheritent continuity and dry joints. I use standard bullet crimp connectors and self adhesive tyco heatshrink 

5 hours ago, Pjj said:

That’s what water works are using on the 3D reels 

Thought they were £4:79 each that’s how I read it ?.... could be wrong ??? 

these are dreadful and not moisture resistant. They rot in no time 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.