Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best pole swivel?

Moor

I’m looking for a decent swivel. I currently have the Gardiner’s swivel which I have used since I started, I have found the quick lock doesn’t last long though and gets gummed up and the pin sticks, I have replaced/refurbished several. The swivel itself is fine but I find the quick lock a bit unreliable, the problem is finding an alternative.

What do you all use? From what I can see, unless I’m missing something, the only alternatives (ova 8, phantom) have their swivel permanently attached to a brush fitting, meaning I need a swivel for each brush, not great as I would need to spend £12.95 for one on each brush.

I’m looking for a decent swivel. I currently have the Gardiner’s swivel which I have used since I started, I have found the quick lock doesn’t last long though and gets gummed up and the pin sticks, I have replaced/refurbished several. The swivel itself is fine but I find the quick lock a bit unreliable, the problem is finding an alternative.

What do you all use? From what I can see, unless I’m missing something, the only alternatives (ova 8, phantom) have their swivel permanently attached to a brush fitting, meaning I need a swivel for each brush, not great as I would need to spend £12.95 for one on each brush.
Have you looked at the tucker swivel ?

I use the angled Gardiner Quick-loq one that fits directly to the brush because I like the swivel action to be as close to the brush as possible.

0727B908-4A8F-4FBC-9ED5-588AB7206EEC.jpeg

I can’t say I’ve experienced any problems with it that have not been easily rectified. Certainly nothing that has made me want to look for a better one. That said if I saw one I thought could be better, I’d certainly give it a try.

The only issue I had early on was the tendency for it to stick on the quick-loq.

D0577972-9064-44D8-9EDF-0EA57EF03346.jpeg
The remedy was to sand the square end down a tiny bit with a sanding block till it was a nice fit. Job done, no further issues 

Another mod I made was suggested by HMAN on one of the forums.

BE9CFA81-1504-4F73-A258-92A7C52F41DD.jpeg

It makes for a smoother change of brushes when a change is necessary. It can be done with a small half round file or Dremmel 

Last edited by a moderator:

I had a swivel. The worst work out ever. Tennis elbow. Frozen shoulder and wrist ache. They require to much physical input in my opinion 

I saw the tucker swivel, but it looks to be the same as the others in that it connects to the brush directly meaning it’s one swivel per brush.

Its not the swivel I have an issue with it’s the quick lock connection, I find the spring loaded tab gets gummed up with dirt and grit and doesn’t spring back, the whole thing needs taking apart and cleaning out which isn’t ideal on someone’s driveway. All the other manufacturers connections look like this isn’t likely to be an issue, none of them do a swivel gooseneck though, only a swivel brush fitting.

I saw the tucker swivel, but it looks to be the same as the others in that it connects to the brush directly meaning it’s one swivel per brush.

Its not the swivel I have an issue with it’s the quick lock connection, I find the spring loaded tab gets gummed up with dirt and grit and doesn’t spring back, the whole thing needs taking apart and cleaning out which isn’t ideal on someone’s driveway. All the other manufacturers connections look like this isn’t likely to be an issue, none of them do a swivel gooseneck though, only a swivel brush fitting.
The only problem we had with Quick-loq was them seizing together in the beginning.

We modified a couple by sanding the male down a bit. I swap brush heads around 3 or 4 times a day and haven't experienced the issues with the spring loaded tab you report.

For me a swivel isn't a big deal, probably the reason I only have it on one brush head. I've never really got on with them. There are a couple of jobs on the round where a swivel is important. I just swap brushes over on those jobs and usually put a fixed head brush back on for the next job.

In this situation I’d be trying to figure out why it’s getting gummed up. This is not an issue I’ve ever experienced with any Quick-loq I’ve ever used. I’ve only ever had the female part get stuck on the male part like spruce described, which is something I was also able to rectify with sandpaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have one brush on a swivel. All the others are 'fixed'. 

Do you think we should put @Moor in touch with Herman? He could show him how to make lots of swivels in his garage. ?
NO NO please don’t mention Herman he will be on hear with his out dated bits and bobs cobbled together with brown tape and screws he’s like a blue Peter for  adults ???

NO NO please don’t mention Herman he will be on hear with his out dated bits and bobs cobbled together with brown tape and screws he’s like a blue Peter for  adults ???

50F81781-A054-41B2-98DC-7A1DCDCFC918.png

In this situation I’d be trying to figure out why it’s getting gummed up. This is not an issue I’ve ever experienced with any Quick-loq I’ve ever used. I’ve only ever had the female part get stuck on the male part like spruce described, which is something I was also able to rectify with sandpaper.
It’s dirt and grit, I’m based rurally so lots of farm houses etc, they are usually pretty dirty and there’s not much I can do about that.

Back