Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner backpack sounds faulty

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Welshyyyyy

Just wondering if anyone knows what's wrong with my Gardiner backpack, it makes a horrible noise (different noises when on settings 1 and 2)
I bought it in September 2019 and have probably used it less than 20 times (so maybe once every 2 weeks for about an hour at a time), it just started this noise this week
Video 1 is the noise it makes on setting 1 and video 2 is the noise it makes on setting 2, does it sound like the pump is on it's way out? I wouldn't expect it after such minimal use, but it would be under warranty (hopefully) as it's less than a year old, also what are Gardiner like re support?
I've had a look on YouTube for solutions but can't find anything

Setting l https://youtu.be/nu3R2O7Zifs

Setting ll https://youtu.be/VzJfzCQLZuo

Thanks

Just wondering if anyone knows what's wrong with my Gardiner backpack, it makes a horrible noise (different noises when on settings 1 and 2)
I bought it in September 2019 and have probably used it less than 20 times (so maybe once every 2 weeks for about an hour at a time), it just started this noise this week
Video 1 is the noise it makes on setting 1 and video 2 is the noise it makes on setting 2, does it sound like the pump is on it's way out? I wouldn't expect it after such minimal use, but it would be under warranty (hopefully) as it's less than a year old, also what are Gardiner like re support?
I've had a look on YouTube for solutions but can't find anything

Setting l https://youtu.be/nu3R2O7Zifs

Setting ll https://youtu.be/VzJfzCQLZuo

Thanks
Setting 2 is the pressure switch cutting in and out because of your jets restricting water flow.

The noise could be the pump has come loose in the housing but phone Gardiners on Monday.

Hi, thanks for replying, I'll give them a ring

I've noticed that one side of the brush gives out a lot more water than the other, I've got two brushes and weirdly both have the same issue, yet if I unplug the pipes from the brushes both seem to be getting good flow out of them, but when I plug the pipes back into the brush there seems to be a blockage on one side, I assumed my older brush was clogged but the same thing happens with a newer brush which I've barely used

I've just unplugged the pipes from the brush and it doesn't do that intermittent noise (but it's very noisy on both settings) so the jets would appear to be restricting the flow as you say but both brushes doing the same seems odd doesn't it?

Hi, thanks for replying, I'll give them a ring

I've noticed that one side of the brush gives out a lot more water than the other, I've got two brushes and weirdly both have the same issue, yet if I unplug the pipes from the brushes both seem to be getting good flow out of them, but when I plug the pipes back into the brush there seems to be a blockage on one side, I assumed my older brush was clogged but the same thing happens with a newer brush which I've barely used

I've just unplugged the pipes from the brush and it doesn't do that intermittent noise (but it's very noisy on both settings) so the jets would appear to be restricting the flow as you say but both brushes doing the same seems odd doesn't it?
Its easy to pick up a tiny stone or grit and for it to wedge at the top of the jet.

Last edited by a moderator:
When a jet is even partially blocked it creates extra pressure in the system. When I was using a univalve it was often the univalve malfunctioning that alerted me to the fact that a jet was blocked. This is more of a problem for fan jet users than pencil users.

I got in touch with Gardiner, they asked me to try a couple of things which I did but no joy so they've asked me to send the backpack back for them to look at. However I've just been trying quite a few combinations of the hoses to see if I can find where the fault is, and I blew through the hoses and the intermittent noise has now gone but the very loud consistent noise is still there. If I take the bottom off the pack and get at the pump and take the hose off the outgoing side of the pump (the brush side) and just let the water come directly out of the pump there's no bad noise, if I then put the brush back on the loud noise kicks in even if I don't connect the actual brush (i.e. just unplug the brush so the water just comes out of the hose), so this discounts the jets. So my likely culprit could be the ez snap connector which I use to connect the pack to the brush hose, possibly faulty and causing a blockage?! when I use the ez snap to connect the backpack to the brush hose the noise is really loud, I'm thinking of trying a barb to barb connector (no moving parts like the ez snap) instead to rule this out, might be quicker than sending the thing back to Gardiner ?

I got in touch with Gardiner, they asked me to try a couple of things which I did but no joy so they've asked me to send the backpack back for them to look at. However I've just been trying quite a few combinations of the hoses to see if I can find where the fault is, and I blew through the hoses and the intermittent noise has now gone but the very loud consistent noise is still there. If I take the bottom off the pack and get at the pump and take the hose off the outgoing side of the pump (the brush side) and just let the water come directly out of the pump there's no bad noise, if I then put the brush back on the loud noise kicks in even if I don't connect the actual brush (i.e. just unplug the brush so the water just comes out of the hose), so this discounts the jets. So my likely culprit could be the ez snap connector which I use to connect the pack to the brush hose, possibly faulty and causing a blockage?! when I use the ez snap to connect the backpack to the brush hose the noise is really loud, I'm thinking of trying a barb to barb connector (no moving parts like the ez snap) instead to rule this out, might be quicker than sending the thing back to Gardiner ?
Hi Welshyyyyy

It would certainly be worth trying this - could be a lot quicker than sending back and waiting for us to test and send back.

If it still makes a noise even when using the barbed connector it may be that the length of hose is increasing the pressure the pump is pumping against and is causing the pump to be noisy - in which case it is likely a faulty pump. I that case it may be quicker for you if we  send you a replacement pump.

Just need to check that you are not using an extension hose on the backpack longer than 20m?

Hi Alex, thanks for replying

I'll try and get a barb connector tomorrow from b&q or Screwfix (I assume they're a common item)?

The hose is the standard one that came with the backpack when I bought it, it's 9m long

Like I mention earlier in the thread I don't use it much but when I have used it it's been fine and only started making the noise last week, I'll try and get a barb connector and see how I get on. If it's still an issue shall I message you in here or reply back to the Gardiner email?

Thanks

It would be very unusual if it were the EzSnap connector.

As a matter of interest, have you changed your jets from pencils to fans?

Fans create quite a bit more back pressure than pencils. This could be why it's making more noise on full flow. Does the brush now deliver water evenly? That problem must be resolved before looking elsewhere. If you are using jet capsules the best way to clear them is to remove the hose from the back and pump water through them from the front to expel the blockage out the back of the jet.

This kind of blockage is common when you regularly disconnect the hose and let it drop on the floor as it will pick up grit which when you reconnect can get inside the hose and flow up to the brush.

I have a Sureflo pump that rattles like crazy if the controller is turned to full and the flow is restricted too much.

Hi Mark, I've only had the fans from day one, but the noise is bad even with the brush not connected at all, if I disconnect the hose from the brush and just have the water come out of the hose it makes the loud noise, this is what makes me think it's the ez snap. 

I took a couple of short videos

Connected with ez snap but brush NOT connected at all, water just coming out of the pipe (you can't see the end of the pipe but it's totally unplugged from the brush)
https://youtu.be/2tncUqbOHMk

Just the hose coming from the backpack, no noise
https://youtu.be/viN_SnWVAKM

I've been trying different combinations of hose/connectors trying to narrow it down

That is noisy!

When the brush is connected do you still get good flow from the jets despite the noise or does it seem restricted?

When you had the bottom of the pack off did you notice if any of the pump mountings had come loose? 
A friend of mine brought me one of the earlier models to check for him a few years ago and it transpired he’d knocked it against something and broke a mounting or something as I recall. I remember the pump being loose. That wasn’t making too good a noise if memory serves. The pump has a sizeable cam flying round inside to operate the diaphragms and therefore produces quite a bit of vibration. If it’s not securely fixed it will create quite a bit of shaking that can make any number of bits jangle about.

(Just a little reminder that it will sound noisier with only a little water in the tank compared to a full tank. This is certainly true of my trolley anyway)

Hi Mark, I've only had the fans from day one, but the noise is bad even with the brush not connected at all, if I disconnect the hose from the brush and just have the water come out of the hose it makes the loud noise, this is what makes me think it's the ez snap. 

I took a couple of short videos

Connected with ez snap but brush NOT connected at all, water just coming out of the pipe (you can't see the end of the pipe but it's totally unplugged from the brush)
https://youtu.be/2tncUqbOHMk

Just the hose coming from the backpack, no noise
https://youtu.be/viN_SnWVAKM

I've been trying different combinations of hose/connectors trying to narrow it down

I have two backpacks both are over 4 years old and work perfect one of my backpacks makes the same loud noise and as so since purchase but works just as good as the other quieter backpack. Never really bothered me to be honest. 

And to add the louder one does get slightly louder if using fan jets. 

Mark, The brush is fine now that I've blown out a tiny bit of twig that was in one of the jets, and from both jets. I've taken the whole thing apart, everything is as it should be, all securely fixed in place. I tried a few hardware shops today for a barb to barb connector to try and rule out the ez snap connector but none had one so will try b&q next time I'm passing there. It still works and typically I've had a few requests for window cleans this week so they'll just have to put up with the noise ?

Den, the backpack has always been quiet until now so there's something up with it for it to suddenly be this loud. 

That is noisy!

When the brush is connected do you still get good flow from the jets despite the noise or does it seem restricted?

When you had the bottom of the pack off did you notice if any of the pump mountings had come loose? 
A friend of mine brought me one of the earlier models to check for him a few years ago and it transpired he’d knocked it against something and broke a mounting or something as I recall. I remember the pump being loose. That wasn’t making too good a noise if memory serves. The pump has a sizeable cam flying round inside to operate the diaphragms and therefore produces quite a bit of vibration. If it’s not securely fixed it will create quite a bit of shaking that can make any number of bits jangle about.

(Just a little reminder that it will sound noisier with only a little water in the tank compared to a full tank. This is certainly true of my trolley anyway)
That is all spot on!  Mine sounds loud now, its been loud for about 8 months, its 1 year and half old. its working fine still, everyday all day in use. proper work horse! Mine however the speed dial of water flow went, might be something to do with that going??? mine comes out at one speed now but is a fast flow and just how I want it, so is fine for me and I use a uni valve so save water but water is no problem anyway. Hope you get it fixed. I have spoke to others out there, some are quiet some are loud but work fine for ages. Good luck..  

That is all spot on!  Mine sounds loud now, its been loud for about 8 months, its 1 year and half old. its working fine still, everyday all day in use. proper work horse! Mine however the speed dial of water flow went, might be something to do with that going??? mine comes out at one speed now but is a fast flow and just how I want it, so is fine for me and I use a uni valve so save water but water is no problem anyway. Hope you get it fixed. I have spoke to others out there, some are quiet some are loud but work fine for ages. Good luck..  
If you remove the whole pump and separate the pump from the motor (the two screws at the side) you’ll find a cam that operates the two sides of the pump. It might just need greasing.

Back