Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water fed pole Trolley system

CB76

Hi I am looking to start up window cleaning but just on a part time basis at the start. I will have a van and wondering if this following trolley system (see link) will be adequate to be doing roughly 15/20 houses a week. I would have a storage tank (350 litres) in the van but will use the trolley system and fill up containers to change over when needed. Would I just fill up the storage tank with tap water or is it better to go and buy pure water from a filling station? Your thoughts and recommendations please. Thanks 

https://purefreedom.co.uk/pure-freedom-50-litre-trolley-system-package.html

Not sure of the weight if it but I wouldn’t want to be lifting that in and out if a van , if you have a van and tank why not get a pump and hose reel and go van mount , much easier on the body .

Dont buy the 50 litre trolley, it is hard to push due to its front wheels. If you buy a PF trolley buy the nano trolley, if you really need 50 litres of water you can put another container on top of the other container and move it to a place where you need to work from.

TBH if you are determined to use a trolley I would not got that (50l) big. As THL4KEL suggests, go for a light 25L trolley. The Pure Freedom Nano has great reviews. 
As has also been suggested though, if you have the van and 350L tank it would be worth considering fitting a pump and reel in the van and working from the van.

Not sure what you mean by filling your tank with tap water, but just in case you’re not aware, you cannot clean windows with tap water. It must be pure water.

If you have a pure water supplier near you that’s great as you can purchase it. If not you’ll need to find out how ‘dirty’ the water is coming out of your tap before you choose a filtering method.

You need a TDS meter like this one to check it.

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/tds-water-quality-handheld-test-meter-by-hm-digital-tds-3.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve never used a trolley so can’t comment too much on that. But most people would choose using a tank & hose reel over a trolley. 

Regarding filling, that package comes with a 200 gpd R.O (water filtration system) it’s the white cylinder thing at the back. You use that to make your pure water. Do you have access to a outside tap? Do you have a drive way or front garden? If so, I’d buy a small storage tan (500litre or bigger one at 1000lL) and use your r.o system to make the pure water and into the storage tank over night, then pump that water into your smaller tank & trolley in the morning or whatever. Regarding how many houses, the only way you’ll know is to try it. We all work at different speeds, different attention to details, different time lengths between visits etc.

But as a gauge, and ultimately it means nothing to you know yet, but I have a 500L tank in my van, and an average day (not a long day) I aim for £200/£210 and I would use around 350litres to do that on average. I just aim for amount of money per day, rather than jobs per day. 

TBH if you are determined to use a trolley I would not got that (50l) big. As THL4KEL suggests, go for a light 25L trolley. The Pure Freedom Nano has great reviews. 
As has also been suggested though, if you have the van and 350L tank it would be worth considering fitting a pump and reel in the van and working from the van.

Not sure what you mean by filling your tank with tap water, but just in case you’re not aware, you cannot clean windows with tap water. It must be pure water.

If you have a pure water supplier near you that’s great as you can purchase it. If not you’ll need to find out how ‘dirty’ the water is coming out of your tap before you choose a filtering method.

You need a TDS meter like this one to check it.

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/tds-water-quality-handheld-test-meter-by-hm-digital-tds-3.html
Hi thanks for that.

Just wanted to know if this nano system in the link at the bottom would filter tap water to pure water or will that be completely different kit to do that? 
Thanks

https://purefreedom.co.uk/pure-freedom-25-litre-nano-trolley-package.html

As you are in Norfolk you will either have hard or very hard water with a tap tds over 300ppm a 200gpd R/O won't be good enough you will be better of with a 450gpd R/O and the the little 10" di chamber is no good at all as the resin won't last anytime at all you will need a proper DI vessel maybe a 8 litre one or bigger and it will take hours to process your tap water to pure 

As you are in Norfolk you will either have hard or very hard water with a tap tds over 300ppm a 200gpd R/O won't be good enough you will be better of with a 450gpd R/O and the the little 10" di chamber is no good at all as the resin won't last anytime at all you will need a proper DI vessel maybe a 8 litre one or bigger and it will take hours to process your tap water to pure 
Yes hard water here so could buy the pure water from the filling stations to eliminate the whole filtering process etc or like you said buy a much better unit.

Thanks 

Yes hard water here so could buy the pure water from the filling stations to eliminate the whole filtering process etc or like you said buy a much better unit.

Thanks 
All depends if there is place to get water from like Spotless near you if there ain't then you will have process your own. 

There is a supplier 5 minutes from me but I had all the kit to purify water before he came on the scene so I still produce my own and TBH it is more convenient. I use a 300gpd RO unit with a permeate pump attached and also use a booster pump to push the mains pressure up to 75psi or thereabouts. The water in our mains reads between 400 and 500 PPM on the TDS meter and comes out the RO at between 005-008 PPM. My 10inch DI will then give me about 3000L @ 000 PPM and then it starts to creep up and I change the resin when it reaches 004.

PureFreedom must be making a fortune with their trolley sales. Saw another new window cleaner this morning I've never seen before with his brand new trolley parked on the front pavement.

His customer was asking him how he was going to clean the 1st floor front window his motorhome was blocking easy access to. What the new cleaner didn't know was that another cleaner used to clean that house wfp with the motorhome parked in the same place. I did wonder what the reason was for the new guy being there. His previous cleaner cleaned that house for many years.

What I also noted was there was no car or van parked anywhere close buy. He also only had about 3 to 4" of water left in his plastic container and I didn't see a replacement for when that runs out. I cleaned the next house in the cul de sac and he was gone when I had finished. All the same cars were still parked as they were when I arrived.

Back