Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are these RO Membranes Shot? Opinions please?

ShropsWindowCleaner

Hi all. Can I just say, since I set up a set up a system in my van purifying my own water, moving away from the trolley system, this forum has been an invaluable source of advice. So, attached is a photo of the two membranes from my 2nd hand Merlin RO system. I’ve ordered two new ones. I’ve never seen a used membrane before, do these two look shot???? They are producing 280ppm from mains to 45ppm.
spacer.png
Thanks in advance ????

A3D7C93D-3D82-4272-930B-7788A1E13113.jpeg

5DC7E302-1C37-4BD7-934B-641E8FD23339.jpeg

03DB3A96-8CEA-4319-A6BE-2DAE5D334A04.jpeg

E73C7AC8-0345-411C-BD7E-D2D64372AB1A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all. Can I just say, since I set up a set up a system in my van purifying my own water, moving away from the trolley system, this forum has been an invaluable source of advice. So, attached is a photo of the two membranes from my 2nd hand Merlin RO system. I’ve ordered two new ones. I’ve never seen a used membrane before, do these two look shot???? They are producing 280ppm from mains to 45ppm.
spacer.png
Thanks in advance ????

View attachment 21302

View attachment 21303

View attachment 21304

View attachment 21305
I presume you ordered all 3.

I would have put that £200 toward a better r/o tbh.

I presume you ordered all 3.

I would have put that £200 toward a better r/o tbh.
An update on the new membranes and carbon filter on my 2nd hand Merlin: Old membranes and filter were producing 275ppm to 45ppm. Currently the new ones are producing 275ppm to 14ppm. Still a little high for my liking. Not sure i can get it any lower. That’s through a booster pump too at 90psi. Il have to use this RO while I save for a 40/21 from Daqua.

That's 96% rejection rate. You have to be happy with that.?
Why would that be on new membrane. I’m just curious, my TDS is 280 and after membrane 11 and it’s 3 years old, it is a 40/40. I thought he should have been around the 99% mark. I was wondering if my membrane needed to be changed but maybe not then. 

Why would that be on new membrane. I’m just curious, my TDS is 280 and after membrane 11 and it’s 3 years old, it is a 40/40. I thought he should have been around the 99% mark. I was wondering if my membrane needed to be changed but maybe not then. 
That's still operating at 96% so is ok, when it starts getting up to 16 / 18 is probably the time to look at changing it

Merlins were designed as an under counter water purifier for American kitchens. They don't need to remove all the dissolved minerals in the water as its for drinking. Its was never designed as an r/o for the window cleaning market. We need good quality membranes that will work more efficiently than a Merlin or PRF does.

I'm amazed at @ShropsWindowCleaner's ability to get a rejection rate of 96%. TBH a cleaner on the other forum has one and he has found his rejection rate drops off quite quickly.

Personally, I would never buy a PRF or a Merlin for processing water. I've learnt from that local window cleaner near me. He was last going through a bag of resin once a year where mine lasts 4 years. He has had that Merlin for many years. In fact the first one got destroyed by frost one very cold winter snap and he went a purchased another.

Now, if he had purchased the right r/o to begin with 14 years ago and looked after it better in the cold weather, he could have saved himself a fortune. But he just doesn't get it. 

Merlins were designed as an under counter water purifier for American kitchens. They don't need to remove all the dissolved minerals in the water as its for drinking. Its was never designed as an r/o for the window cleaning market. We need good quality membranes that will work more efficiently than a Merlin or PRF does.

I'm amazed at @ShropsWindowCleaner's ability to get a rejection rate of 96%. TBH a cleaner on the other forum has one and he has found his rejection rate drops off quite quickly.

Personally, I would never buy a PRF or a Merlin for processing water. I've learnt from that local window cleaner near me. He was last going through a bag of resin once a year where mine lasts 4 years. He has had that Merlin for many years. In fact the first one got destroyed by frost one very cold winter snap and he went a purchased another.

Now, if he had purchased the right r/o to begin with 14 years ago and looked after it better in the cold weather, he could have saved himself a fortune. But he just doesn't get it. 
Im surprised as well ? Remains to be seen how long it can keep up 96%. I’m using a booster pump at 90psi. Only started purifying my own water two weeks ago. Wind the clock back and I would buy a Daqua 40/21. Will stick with this for a bit. Still cheaper than buying from Spotless Water, which is what i’ve been doing. Good service from them though. 

That's still operating at 96% so is ok, when it starts getting up to 16 / 18 is probably the time to look at changing it
Ok. Thank you for that. I don’t know what kind of membrane is in it at the moment. I bought it secondhand from a friend. I think it could be a spectrum,he bought it at airforce in Leeds. I will get the axeon?? I’ll go to r Doug when the time is right. My water pressure is good it’s about 75-78, with no booster. 

Good read. It’s difficult when your starting out, everybody has different views. 
I do realise though that you, part timer, & Pjj have a wealth of knowledge. 
I think you @Part Timer should be called Overtimer the hours you work???

Ok. Thank you for that. I don’t know what kind of membrane is in it at the moment. I bought it secondhand from a friend. I think it could be a spectrum,he bought it at airforce in Leeds. I will get the axeon?? I’ll go to r Doug when the time is right. My water pressure is good it’s about 75-78, with no booster. 
That’s one hell of a water pressure! ????

Latest Posts

Back