Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cracked glass using WFP, is it even possible?

MrAdam

Has anyone ever cracked a pain of glass while using WFP? The reason I ask I'm fairly new to window cleaning and this forum, I had a new clean today with the glass being in such a state only after cleaning did I notice a hairline crack in a leaded pain of glass. I'm worried now the customer may blame me but is this even possible using WFP? I was using a Gardners sill & universal for the frames and soft/medium ultimate on the leaded glass.   

Thanks in advance.

I would think you would of heard it crack, unless you had headphones on. Also with leaded it would probably take an impact to crack it as usually excess pressure would cause the lead to bend.

Unlikely in the extreme. 

If using hot water, thermal shock has been known to do it, But unless you hit the glass pretty hard with the brush stock there's not much else you could do with the brush to break glass

Has anyone ever cracked a pain of glass while using WFP? The reason I ask I'm fairly new to window cleaning and this forum, I had a new clean today with the glass being in such a state only after cleaning did I notice a hairline crack in a leaded pain of glass. I'm worried now the customer may blame me but is this even possible using WFP? I was using a Gardners sill & universal for the frames and soft/medium ultimate on the leaded glass.   

Thanks in advance.
Report it immedately - tell the client so they can add it to a snaggin list (assuming its new build). This won't turn out to be a problem if you deal with it on your terms; it's what good contractors do. We broke 1 pane 15 years ago - I told the homeowner, replaced the glass; move on. No big deal.

I’d certainly advise staying away from single paned windows as there are often existing cracks in these which can become worse. They really aren't built to sustain cleaning in my honest opinion. 
in this case though double glazing is very strong and i’m 99.9% confident you are not the reason its happened and that it was existing. 
I also dont clean on very hot days as glass can get extremely hot and its always in my mind the temperature difference could shatter the glass, i’m sure im probably being OTT about that, but its a slog to work in anything over 26 anyway and things dry too quickly/too much water is used. So i usually just go to the beach and eat ice cream and swim in the sea

I’d certainly advise staying away from single paned windows as there are often existing cracks in these which can become worse. They really aren't built to sustain cleaning in my honest opinion. 
in this case though double glazing is very strong and i’m 99.9% confident you are not the reason its happened and that it was existing. 
I also dont clean on very hot days as glass can get extremely hot and its always in my mind the temperature difference could shatter the glass, i’m sure im probably being OTT about that, but its a slog to work in anything over 26 anyway and things dry too quickly/too much water is used. So i usually just go to the beach and eat ice cream and swim in the sea
If there was an impact on the glass such as a stone being flicked up by the lawn mower or edge trimmer then cold water on a hot day can cause a stress crack. Ask me, I sent a crack up my windscreen when I washed the glass with my wfp brush in the heat.

Panic over, I emailed the customer and she was already aware there was a crack in the glass ?, I didn't notice the crack before as they were that dirty. Thank you for the comments, as usual very informative. 

Cheers

If there was an impact on the glass such as a stone being flicked up by the lawn mower or edge trimmer then cold water on a hot day can cause a stress crack. Ask me, I sent a crack up my windscreen when I washed the glass with my wfp brush in the heat.
Oh dear! So my concerns are justified ?

Panic over, I emailed the customer and she was already aware there was a crack in the glass ?, I didn't notice the crack before as they were that dirty. Thank you for the comments, as usual very informative. 

Cheers
Well done! You handled that perfectly. Enhanced your reputation, established you are a trustworthy contractor with a concern for peoples property & no doubt gained valuable experience in heading off a complaint. Top marks.?

Back