Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New Van Mounted System

C&S Window Newbie

Evening all,

Some of you my or may not remeber a post i put out roughly 2/3 months ago about setting up in WFP window cleaning......... Well Roughly 3 months on im loving it dont get me wrong its hard work and tiring but after coming away from the home renovations i enjoy this alot more hardly any stress what so ever.

So i brought a decent trolly system off ebay which i have to say has been brillant, i brought 12 25L barrels again they was a decent quailty, brought a 2nd hand reverse osmsis which turned out to be a bad idea but live and learn then finally brought a SLX 22 and some other bits and bobs and that was me set up on a budget.

i was happy to build my customer base slow as i still had a few months work to keep me busy so thats how i went about i told my self to do 4 days on ther maintenace work already quoted and agreed then spend 1 day a week doing my window cleans. thats where i still need to master the marketing and generating leads i seem to get so many enquiries for maintenace but maybe only 4 or 5 a week for window cleans, Maybe its because the website has always been for maintenace and house renovations but now ive cut all advertising budgets for maintenace pre covid.

So other then the slow window cleaning leads im loving it so i have decided i want to do it full time so want a van mounted system, after watching hours and hours of youtube systems and well known window cleaners and there system i thought i knew the system i wanted ( Smartank 400 ) but after calling Complex they told me the system would not fit in my Caddy Trendline SWB so it was back to the drawing board so i got in touch with Pure freedom i spoke to a chap called paul who was great and we discussed a 500L system with reverse osmsis 1 user and power reel and to be fair at £3900 fitted felt that was a decent price. But my main reason for this post was to get other users opinions on the Pure Freedom systems also are there any other systems equal or better then the one i have been quoted on ?

500l is pushing the weight limit in a caddy, especially with the frame, RO system and electric reel. 
350/400 would be better. 

if you are keeping the caddy it would be better to set the RO up as a static system in a shed/garage, and have a ‘delivery system’ in the van. It’s easy to go and top up your tank from the static system if you run out during the day, which makes having a smaller tank easier to cope with.

Check the weight limits of your van. I don't think they include a passenger and only half a tank of fuel. So if you had someone else in van then that's 75-100kg off your payload!!!! 

Also you have axle load limits so the tank needs to spread the load over both axles to ensure you don't overload an axle! Overloading an axle can effect braking, handling and insurance!!!!! 

I think a Caddy has something like 716kg load capacity but check yours. So if you had a passenger and a full tank you are down to 616kg. 500lt of water is 500kg so that leaves 116kg for the tank, frame, battery, RO, DI, hose reel etc... I think you might be pushing it.

There should be a weight plate under the bonnet that gives you axle loads, max vehicle weight and payload etc limits. I think the driver (75kg) and half a tank of fuel are already included in the kerb weight.

As @High-tower said, only get a delivery system for the van unless you haven't any room to produce and store water at home. The PF system is a good quality sturdy system. My first one is still going strong after 9 years, shame I can't say the same thing about the van it's in.

Pure freedom i spoke to a chap called paul who was great and we discussed a 500L system with reverse osmsis 1 user and power reel and to be fair at £3900 fitted felt that was a decent price.
Few month ago I got a quote from purefreedom 

same 500tank Ro/di 1user no reel though 

£2700 was the price, wonder why your paying 1200 more for the reel,

just had check over emails November last year ,

Few month ago I got a quote from purefreedom 

same 500tank Ro/di 1user no reel though 

£2700 was the price, wonder why your paying 1200 more for the reel,

just had check over emails November last year ,
Hi Wind o kleen,

Thank you for your response, all i can think is i added the floor runners so i can keep my doors shut and i was having it installed ?

As @High-tower said, only get a delivery system for the van unless you haven't any room to produce and store water at home. The PF system is a good quality sturdy system. My first one is still going strong after 9 years, shame I can't say the same thing about the van it's in.
Hi Part Timer,

Thank you for your response. im sure if i moved some things about in the garage id be able to find space for a ibc tank i just thought if everything was in the van on the same system it would be better and if ever on any sofits or big cleans can hook up to there water supply ?

Check the weight limits of your van. I don't think they include a passenger and only half a tank of fuel. So if you had someone else in van then that's 75-100kg off your payload!!!! 

Also you have axle load limits so the tank needs to spread the load over both axles to ensure you don't overload an axle! Overloading an axle can effect braking, handling and insurance!!!!! 

I think a Caddy has something like 716kg load capacity but check yours. So if you had a passenger and a full tank you are down to 616kg. 500lt of water is 500kg so that leaves 116kg for the tank, frame, battery, RO, DI, hose reel etc... I think you might be pushing it.

There should be a weight plate under the bonnet that gives you axle loads, max vehicle weight and payload etc limits. I think the driver (75kg) and half a tank of fuel are already included in the kerb weight.
Hi Ched,

Thank you for your response, i think you are right on the load capacity i never have any passengers in the van always have worked alone but do agree think its to close for comfort maybe asking for a quote on a 400L system again like mentioned to Part Timer i went along the thought if i got a system with it all on board and came onto a big job id be able to top up either on my dinner or while on the clean but again im learning and it seems 3 people have said they feel its more advisbale to pure my water in the garage and tranfer it over in a morning ?

Hi Part Timer,

Thank you for your response. im sure if i moved some things about in the garage id be able to find space for a ibc tank i just thought if everything was in the van on the same system it would be better and if ever on any sofits or big cleans can hook up to there water supply ?
Unless you have a decent booster pump you'll probably use more than you produce. It would have to be some size fascia to use 500l's of pure. 500l tank should last one man around 5 hours, even on very big jobs.

Unless you have a decent booster pump you'll probably use more than you produce. It would have to be some size fascia to use 500l's of pure. 500l tank should last one man around 5 hours, even on very big jobs.
That is a valid point so glad i made this post. my thinking has always been to get everything on board for eas maybe i was thinking along the wrong track ? would you personally say you think its better to pureify my water offer the van and transfer the water as and when i need it ?

Hi Ched,

Thank you for your response, i think you are right on the load capacity i never have any passengers in the van always have worked alone but do agree think its to close for comfort maybe asking for a quote on a 400L system again like mentioned to Part Timer i went along the thought if i got a system with it all on board and came onto a big job id be able to top up either on my dinner or while on the clean but again im learning and it seems 3 people have said they feel its more advisbale to pure my water in the garage and tranfer it over in a morning ?
Hi C&S, you can make that 4 people that advise you that it's better to process your water at home. You would be able to have a larger reserve. 400 in the van and say 900 in a 1000 IBC. This will also be useful to help allow you the time to sort out the occasional system problems (perhaps waiting for parts) while still being able to work. You would save some weight and space in your van. We always fill the van up in the afternoon after work and check the tds at the same time. I'm not a morning person so I like to prepare the day before. I personally, get a feeling of satisfaction and confidence processing and monitoring at home that I don't think I'd get from processing in the van.

. .

Hi C&S, you can make that 4 people that advise you that it's better to process your water at home. You would be able to have a larger reserve. 400 in the van and say 900 in a 1000 IBC. This will also be useful to help allow you the time to sort out the occasional system problems (perhaps waiting for parts) while still being able to work. You would save some weight and space in your van. We always fill the van up in the afternoon after work and check the tds at the same time. I'm not a morning person so I like to prepare the day before. I personally, get a feeling of satisfaction and confidence processing and monitoring at home that I don't think I'd get from processing in the van.

. .
Hi Davy,

Again like the others offered some very valuable information i have just been pricing up a ibc and bigger filter system was looking at this https://www.eastmidlandswater.com/reverse-osmosis-merlin-tankless-reverse-osmosis/539

what are your thoughts on using this to fill a IBC i would have to look into the auto shut off of course. could i ask what system you have in your van as there are so many systems about arent there.

Hi Davy,

Again like the others offered some very valuable information i have just been pricing up a ibc and bigger filter system was looking at this https://www.eastmidlandswater.com/reverse-osmosis-merlin-tankless-reverse-osmosis/539

what are your thoughts on using this to fill a IBC i would have to look into the auto shut off of course. could i ask what system you have in your van as there are so many systems about arent there.
Find out your TDS and your water pressure and give @doug atkinsona shout to discuss the best system for your requirements. You will be able to buy cheaper but might buy a whole lot of problems.

Hi Wind o kleen,

Thank you for your response, all i can think is i added the floor runners so i can keep my doors shut and i was having it installed ?
No mate but still rollers (fitted) and reel Shouldn't be nearly 1200 extra , your already paying for the installation rollers cost £100 maybe ? 

I got price from these https://zerodswaterfedpole.co.uk

exactly the same stuff £2100 

No mate but still rollers (fitted) and reel Shouldn't be nearly 1200 extra , your already paying for the installation rollers cost £100 maybe ? 

I got price from these https://zerodswaterfedpole.co.uk

exactly the same stuff £2100 
oh wow thats a massive saving, did you say you have had the system installed if you have can i ask how long have you had it installed and how you finding it ?

Hi Davy,

So many systems, yes and a massive number of possible combinations for equipment. My system is entirely DIY: A Mercedes Benz Vito, 650 litre Wyedale flat tank. Side reel sitting on a thick rubber mat on top of the tank for side workstation. Second reel on the floor inside the back doors.

Processing at home : Streamline double ro system with booster pump, extra filters and double DI, in purpose built utility shed with washing machine, freezer, dryer and kayaking gear. Pure water is piped through 1/4 inch dia pipe to the 1000 litre IBC in garage (half way back to allow room around the door for work bench inside the door) . 3/8 inch overflow from IBC to front of garage in case of a failure in the auto-shut off. Transfer pump sitting on top of the IBC, and 1 inch hose hanging inside garage door for filling van tank.

All in all, an awful lot of work developing and refining over a considerable time. But a lot of money saved. A lot of knowledge gained by doing it myself. An ability to service and do my own repairs  and a lot of satisfaction from having a DIY system that works perfectly.

A bit of an undertaking for anyone trying to sort it all starting out for sure.

I can't offer an informed opinion on the system you mentioned. By gut feelings, I'd have serious doubts. I don't know Doug Atkinson but I do see from the forum that he is very highly regarded. I'm confident that's well deserved. I have every faith, he'll be able to see you right.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your looking for a system and in England I’d try somewhere local to you. Where about you located.
Hi Doug im based in Nottingham

So many systems, yes and a massive number of possible combinations for equipment. My system is entirely DIY: A Mercedes Benz Vito, 650 litre Wyedale flat tank. Side reel sitting on a thick rubber mat on top of the tank for side workstation. Second reel on the floor inside the back doors.

Processing at home : Streamline double ro system with booster pump, extra filters and double DI, in purpose built utility shed with washing machine, freezer, dryer and kayaking gear. Pure water is piped through 1/4 inch dia pipe to the 1000 litre IBC in garage (half way back to allow room around the door for work bench inside the door) . 3/8 inch overflow from IBC to front of garage in case of a failure in the auto-shut off. Transfer pump sitting on top of the IBC, and 1 inch hose hanging inside garage door for filling van tank.

All in all, an awful lot of work developing and refining over a considerable time. But a lot of money saved. A lot of knowledge gained by doing it myself. An ability to service and do my own repairs  and a lot of satisfaction from having a DIY system that works perfectly.

A bit of an undertaking for anyone trying to sort it all starting out for sure.

I can't offer an informed opinion on the system you mentioned. By gut feelings, I'd have serious doubts. I don't know Doug Atkinson but I do see from the forum that he is very highly regarded. I'm confident that's well deserved. I have every faith, he'll be able to see you right.
Thank you again for your very in depth response and i do agree think i would get lost in trying to replcate your system lol

Back