Jump to content

How much soap do trad guys use?


Recommended Posts

I think I'm obsessed 😂😂

Here's my little one pass attempt using a strip of microfibre off the floor mop which I cut down and gorilla glued on to the bottom of the channel.

 It's not the tidiest job as I'm the gorilla glue expands slightly, but once the curing process finished I trimmed it down with a pair of sharp scissors.  

And....... It works a treat..

I get that extra little glide as a fan the window and close out.  There is enough slip to do a few passes by itself too which will be very helpful.

The worst that can happen is it will detach from the channel but I doubt it will.

It is very lightweight and I actually think that this is going to be my #1 for daily use now..

In the photos

* I bought the big orange RAC microfibre cloth for £3 from B & M bargains and it is great for first cleans

* Another bottle of HG window liquid £4 B&Q

* 4 small microfibre towels with a thick weave which are very absorbent- excellent sill cloths  £6 eBay..

Looking forward to using the wagfliqator with the new mod😂

IMG_20200828_195539.jpg

IMG_20200828_204807.jpg

IMG_20200828_195439.jpg

IMG_20200828_195504.jpg

Edited by AndyArms
Link to post
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • AndyArms

    14

  • Martyn

    7

  • wgwindows

    5

  • Teddington Window Cleaners

    5

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I was tradding I'd take a 25 litre barrel with hot water to work and a rectangular window cleaning bucket I'd squirt about an egg cup full of  Fairy into the bucket and just add water and that wo

I only use trad for internals which is not much, but I like my solution to suspend on the window not dripping but also not lathering like shaving foam as you described.   

My thoughts exactly, I spent years in my youth with only washing up liquid and now my hands look like pork scratchings!  I only use pro liquid now! my hands would never forgive me. 

Posted Images

On 08/07/2020 at 21:55, Martyn said:

In a fit of boredom the other night I watched some You Tube vids, mostly about the Moerman Accelerator which looks like it could be useful for some interior high level work that I do. One thing that struck me is the vast amount of detergent some of these guys were using, I never use anything like the amount when I trad windows, in fact I always found too much to be undesireable.

Is it just me? Do you trad guys lather it on like shaving foam? Please help this old WFP cleaner understand. 🤔

After trying the Moerman NXT-R I found myself doing exactly that. The rubber was just too elastic and was dragging allot, so I was naturally adding more soap to create slip. After switching back to Unger soft rubber it was back to a quick squirt of soap.

Link to post

Well I scrapped the one pass idea😂..I just ripped it off as the gorilla glue kept on expanding..

I was being greedy and didn't need it as the fliq is absolutely fantastic .

BUT...  Johnsons baby shampoo has taken slip to another level..   

I was on the lookout for some new rubber and searched a few threads on here, and I decided to take a punt on the yellow spotless stuff...  WOW....  Coupled with the baby shampoo the slip is awesome and cleaning power decent also...  I put a little dribble of the HG stuff in too as it's just there and needs using up but I have cut my time on the glass down for sure.....  The fliq definitely makes the job faster👍

Edited by AndyArms
Link to post
  • 2 months later...

I was going to start a new thread, but thought I would just revive this existing one..

I've been doing a bit of modding again and I actually think I've discovered the holy grail.

I have been using the Moerman fliq for a while now on the Ettore Contour pro plus with the pad on the bottom,because on the top, the pad whips about and hits the glass with fanning.

I was sat watching telly the other night and drifted in to thinking of a solution for holding the pad in place on the top and came up with a

*clothes peg ..... Failed, too fiddly

*Crocodile clip..  Very good, but 7/10 as sometimes needs a few attempts.

*Hair clip (alligator I think)... WOW... This is the business 10/10.. Girlfriend doesn't know yet🤗.

----------------------------------------------------------

The Hair clip was secured in place with electricians tape and the a couple of tie wraps and the results are tremendous because hardly any tension is needed to pivot the spring down to lift the clip.               

The clip holds the fliq pad very securely so it doesn't flap about and this will definitely produce a faster and  more efficient working method 100%.

The only thing I might do is get a few spares just in case it snaps in time, but they're cheap to buy and available in metal so may be even stronger.

Well chuffed with the mod

 

  

 

IMG_20201117_182711.jpg

IMG_20201117_182702.jpg

IMG_20201117_182658.jpg

IMG_20201117_182651.jpg

Edited by AndyArms
Link to post
1 hour ago, AndyArms said:

I was going to start a new thread, but thought I would just revive this existing one..

I've been doing a bit of modding again and I actually think I've discovered the holy grail.

I have been using the Moerman fliq for a while now on the Ettore Contour pro plus with the pad on the bottom,because on the top, the pad whips about and hits the glass with fanning.

I was sat watching telly the other night and drifted in to thinking of a solution for holding the pad in place on the top and came up with a

*clothes peg ..... Failed, too fiddly

*Crocodile clip..  Very good, but 7/10 as sometimes needs a few attempts.

*Hair clip (alligator I think)... WOW... This is the business 10/10.. Girlfriend doesn't know yet🤗.

----------------------------------------------------------

The Hair clip was secured in place with electricians tape and the a couple of tie wraps and the results are tremendous because hardly any tension is needed to pivot the spring down to lift the clip.               

The clip holds the fliq pad very securely so it doesn't flap about and this will definitely produce a faster and  more efficient working method 100%.

The only thing I might do is get a few spares just in case it snaps in time, but they're cheap to buy and available in metal so may be even stronger.

Well chuffed with the mod

 

  

 

IMG_20201117_182711.jpg

IMG_20201117_182702.jpg

IMG_20201117_182658.jpg

IMG_20201117_182651.jpg

That's a lot of effort but if it works and you're happy that's the important thing. 👍

For myself I purchased an Excelerator/ Liquidator/ fliq combo and I love it, wish I had one years ago when I did more trad work, nowadays I do hardly any.

 

Link to post
On 28/08/2020 at 03:16, AndyArms said:

 Hi everyone.

I've just got round to sorting the fliqbout as I've been on holiday and just quite busy in general..

I decided to buy the fliq pad and clip set rather than the full lot as I had various channels in the shed.  

I had a liquidator, unger s plus and wagtail slimline squeegee to experiment with.

I tried it on all three and the clips fitted on without an issue.   I settled in the wagtail slimline and I've got to say it is brilliant..

I'm so impressed at how much water the pad absorbes and holds on to.  Im back at work next week and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

I thought nothing could surpass my modded wagtail high flyer, but this fliq wagtail slimline could well be on a par or even better.

I now have two squeegees which are very easy to use and cut down on the amount of actual physical work that is required.

One thing that I would love is to somehow add gliding strips on to the squeegee - or am I asking for too much!!!😂

You may notice the remnants of gorilla glue from my previous disaster mods😂.

The only thing I do regret is not buying the fliq years ago

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

IMG_20200827_220445.jpg

IMG_20200827_220623.jpg

IMG_20200827_220531.jpg

you are missing SOOOOOOOOO much exelerator 2 and liquidator 2 with fliq is the most versatile and efficient system any where. my wagtail gear is in the bin along all the squeegees from prior to discovering moerman.

take all the wagtail models you want, add the ledger, add the back flip basically as many as you want i can do more and do it better and faster with 1 moerman ex 2 liq2 and fliq than you can with your trailer load of junk.

  • Like 2
Link to post
1 hour ago, Cactus27 said:

you are missing SOOOOOOOOO much exelerator 2 and liquidator 2 with fliq is the most versatile and efficient system any where. my wagtail gear is in the bin along all the squeegees from prior to discovering moerman.

take all the wagtail models you want, add the ledger, add the back flip basically as many as you want i can do more and do it better and faster with 1 moerman ex 2 liq2 and fliq than you can with your trailer load of junk.

Well you seem pretty pleased with yourself, which is what it's all about😀.

I'm absolutely over the moon with the mod I've done and it's so simple..  I could get away with the pad underneath, but pad on top is fantastic for closing out as pad underneath sometimes get snagged.

I've had a liquidator in the past and it just wasn't for me unfortunately... Don't know why, but just couldn't get on with it.

As for wagtail's...  The high flyer is still s fantastic tool, and I may go back down memory lane from time to time.

Anyway all is great and I'm looking forward to going to work again tomorrow..  Sounds sad to say that,   but I'm sure you boys will agree that it's nice being your own boss and when your tools are making life easier, money is made easier..  ATB...  Andrew

Link to post

my apologies.

possibly i gave the wrong impression particulary with my last phrase. i did not mean to demean or insult you or sound superior. my intended point was that if you learn to use the whole it is much greater than the sum of it's parts. 

again intent was not to offend anyone. 

and...the hairclip mod is very inventive!

Edited by Cactus27
Link to post

I didn't take any offense mate, honestly..👍.   I understand that sometimes messages are conveyed and received differently to how they are meant to be...

Everyone I've came across so far on this forum has been very friendly and helpful towards me which is great !!!

I like the water feed on the moerman handle- it looks like a great job and very professional 👍 .... Would be great to see it in action

 ATB..  Andrew

Link to post
15 hours ago, Cactus27 said:

my solution fed mod for large amounts of high windows

IMG_3518[1].JPG

Thanks for sharing this idea Cactus27.

What the setup look like fully assembled? How have you setup the spray (jets,rinse bar?)

Thanks in advance.

Link to post
On 08/07/2020 at 22:45, wgwindows said:

I have the moerman excelerator which is very good for a few awkward windows that I clean, but for the fliq pad you need quite a lot of soap for the slip of the squeegee. It’s good but obviously leaves thicker solution to clean off the sills. The moerman gel is expensive but very good. The unger gel is really good as well.

Out of interest would you say the gel works better then fairy liquid?

  • Like 2
Link to post
4 hours ago, Crystalalan said:

Out of interest would you say the gel works better then fairy liquid?

@Crystalalanyes I would. On the YouTube window cleaners and with other window cleaners on forums they all seem to use washing up liquid, but for me the window cleaning gels are far better. If it’s for the liquidator I’ll use the moerman gel if I have it, if not I’ll use Unger gel (but both would be expensive if used all the time, particularly the moerman).

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.