Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pole for new starter

AdamS

I'm looking at buying a gardiner pole and brush im new to the business of window cleaning. I'm just after a pole to clean domestic on a daily basis also what is the best brush head? I'm also after a brush for cleaning gutters and facias but off the same pole.

Depends how high you need to go, Sl-X18 or 22 is a really good pole for ground & 1st floor work, right now I would suggest the Supreme DuPont/Tapertec for most jobs, maybe a flocked brush for fascias.

Depends how high you need to go, Sl-X18 or 22 is a really good pole for ground & 1st floor work, right now I would suggest the Supreme DuPont/Tapertec for most jobs, maybe a flocked brush for fascias.
Cheers mate I was looking at the slx but wasn't sure which length to go for as I'm all new to this. Most houses round here are 2 story with the odd doormer windows. ideally I would need to reach the apex on a gable end if that was to be fascia 

Cheers mate I was looking at the slx but wasn't sure which length to go for as I'm all new to this. Most houses round here are 2 story with the odd doormer windows. ideally I would need to reach the apex on a gable end if that was to be fascia 
Probably better to go for a 25' pole then as that should reach most dormers, as long as they're modernish houses.

The clx is the cheaper pole I personally would still go for the slx .
Oh really I must have got them mixed up. I've got a lot to learn hopefully going to see a van Saturday so just researching as much as I can. I'm only starting up part time for now and see how things go 

Started with a clx 27ft, can do it all up to three stories, but heavy and clunky mind you. Switched to a extreme  22ft six months ago and I'm much happier with it, can use the clx six pole to add the extra height on the extreme, so the three storie are still just about do able.

nothing wrong with a clx as a starter but if you can go with a slx then I'd plump for that one or a extreme.

Started with a clx 27ft, can do it all up to three stories, but heavy and clunky mind you. Switched to a extreme  22ft six months ago and I'm much happier with it, can use the clx six pole to add the extra height on the extreme, so the three storie are still just about do able.

nothing wrong with a clx as a starter but if you can go with a slx then I'd plump for that one or a extreme.
Cheers mate will bare it all in mind just trying to research as much as I can before I plow my hard earned into equipment 

Hey mate. All the best! I started off with a Gardiner CLX 22 with an extension for the odd higher window. Find it perfect for me. I only do domestic work. I have the Gardiner flocked sill brush. Great brush, but two negatives. Heavy. And holds on to particles which gets onto the glass and requires extra rinsing. I put up with these two downsides because: 1. I like the way it cleans the sills and 2. The splayed bristle ends give a good clean. But hey, each to their own. It took me three brushes to settle on that one for me personally. With regards the CLX pole, yes it has a bit of flex, but this can actually be helpful on some windows above conservatory’s. As I said mate, all the best. 

ps. Giving the bristles a quick rub with your hand gets rid of particles.

Hey mate. All the best! I started off with a Gardiner CLX 22 with an extension for the odd higher window. Find it perfect for me. I only do domestic work. I have the Gardiner flocked sill brush. Great brush, but two negatives. Heavy. And holds on to particles which gets onto the glass and requires extra rinsing. I put up with these two downsides because: 1. I like the way it cleans the sills and 2. The splayed bristle ends give a good clean. But hey, each to their own. It took me three brushes to settle on that one for me personally. With regards the CLX pole, yes it has a bit of flex, but this can actually be helpful on some windows above conservatory’s. As I said mate, all the best. 

ps. Giving the bristles a quick rub with your hand gets rid of particles.
Thanks mate really good advice on this forum from you guys. Now to get set up and gain a customer base for me 

@AdamS I’m not tall (5’7”) and I use an 18 foot pole and it’s fine. Bungalows with dormers are also fine with it. There’s very few 3-storey houses near me so I didn’t see the point personally. Possibly a 22 foot might be better. I don’t find a lot of difference in the CLX to SLX, but the SLX is more rigid so controlling it is slightly easier but for the price the CLX is a fine starter. For brush heads I really like the soft brushes (flocked) far more than any others. They are absolutely superb at cleaning, and nearly all I use, but maybe not for everyone. They don’t last quite as long as the medium brushes, but for me the cleaning power makes them better. Good luck with your new business mate. It’s hard work but if you stick at it you’ll be fine. If you have a look at YouTube @Alex Gardiner has a great brush guide video on the Gardiner Pole systems channel. You’ll also find their knowledge/advice and customer service excellent.

@AdamS I’m not tall (5’7”) and I use an 18 foot pole and it’s fine. Bungalows with dormers are also fine with it. There’s very few 3-storey houses near me so I didn’t see the point personally. Possibly a 22 foot might be better. I don’t find a lot of difference in the CLX to SLX, but the SLX is more rigid so controlling it is slightly easier but for the price the CLX is a fine starter. For brush heads I really like the soft brushes (flocked) far more than any others. They are absolutely superb at cleaning, and nearly all I use, but maybe not for everyone. They don’t last quite as long as the medium brushes, but for me the cleaning power makes them better. Good luck with your new business mate. It’s hard work but if you stick at it you’ll be fine. If you have a look at YouTube @Alex Gardiner has a great brush guide video on the Gardiner Pole systems channel. You’ll also find their knowledge/advice and customer service excellent.
Thanks mate. I no its going to be hard at first but I am determined to make it all work. I've read lots of good reviews on gardiner so that's why I have chose that pole. Another quick question I am going self employed for the company I work for then doing the windows a few days a week so would i need to set up as a business ie put a business name down or can I just set up as a sole trader and use a name I've chose for advertising? 

Thanks mate. I no its going to be hard at first but I am determined to make it all work. I've read lots of good reviews on gardiner so that's why I have chose that pole. Another quick question I am going self employed for the company I work for then doing the windows a few days a week so would i need to set up as a business ie put a business name down or can I just set up as a sole trader and use a name I've chose for advertising? 
No you don’t need a trading/business name. Just be registered as self employed and that’s it. You can trade just in your name and then make up a trading name whenever you choose. Self employed/sole trader is the same thing. Most self employed window cleaners just prefer a trading name as it gives your work a bit of identity - for example near me there’s a “Clear View Window Cleaning” or something like that (there’s loads of names like that), but it’s simply a self employed guy who works by himself. It gives his work some identity so when you see his van you know straight away what he does. 

No you don’t need a trading/business name. Just be registered as self employed and that’s it. You can trade just in your name and then make up a trading name whenever you choose. Self employed/sole trader is the same thing. Most self employed window cleaners just prefer a trading name as it gives your work a bit of identity - for example near me there’s a “Clear View Window Cleaning” or something like that (there’s loads of names like that), but it’s simply a self employed guy who works by himself. It gives his work some identity so when you see his van you know straight away what he does. 
So I could register as self employed under my name then put on leaflets and the side of my van "clear view" without breaking the law? Sorry new to this I have been self employed before about 5 years ago. Really appreciate all the help 

So I could register as self employed under my name then put on leaflets and the side of my van "clear view" without breaking the law? Sorry new to this I have been self employed before about 5 years ago. Really appreciate all the help 
Yes you register as self employed. Simple as that. It gives you a tax payer reference number unique to you and that’s it. You can trade in your own name or a trading name which can be pretty much anything you like (within reason). You could just not have a trading name, or call it something simple like “Adam’s Window Cleaning”, or something a bit more intricate like “Clear View” or whatever you like. I find there are a lot of names like “clear view” and such though. If you do eventually pick a name you may want it to be a little bit different to anyone local to you.

Yes you register as self employed. Simple as that. It gives you a tax payer reference number unique to you and that’s it. You can trade in your own name or a trading name which can be pretty much anything you like (within reason). You could just not have a trading name, or call it something simple like “Adam’s Window Cleaning”, or something a bit more intricate like “Clear View” or whatever you like. I find there are a lot of names like “clear view” and such though. If you do eventually pick a name you may want it to be a little bit different to anyone local to you.
Excellent that clears that up thank-you. I will definitely find something unique to my area but I also want it to look professional on flyers etc. One more question I was looking a poles and there is lots of connectors. I'm looking to use the univalve to limit my water what valve would I need when I buy my pole 

Excellent that clears that up thank-you. I will definitely find something unique to my area but I also want it to look professional on flyers etc. One more question I was looking a poles and there is lots of connectors. I'm looking to use the univalve to limit my water what valve would I need when I buy my pole 
I don’t use a valve or univalve myself, although I probably should. It will definitely save your water. Gardiner actually do a little tap/valves that they can fit to the pole hose for you. When the hose comes up through the pole it comes out a little hole in the gooseneck and I think they put it there. Similar effect to a univalve, but you turn it on and off yourself, rather than yanking on the pole hose to turn it on and off like you would with a univalve. For Gardiner hoses their common connectors are called EZ snap. They do others but I stick to the EZ snap ones. Lol I’m starting to think I should be a salesman for Gardiner ?. When you’re starting don’t get too bogged down with loads of fancy equipment. Buy what you can reasonably afford. For me the best addition I didn’t start with but I’d recommend is a swivel gooseneck - makes getting the brushes into corners and odd angles much easier. I didn’t ask but what is your set up for water? Do you have a tank in a van or working from a backpack etc?

I don’t use a valve or univalve myself, although I probably should. It will definitely save your water. Gardiner actually do a little tap/valves that they can fit to the pole hose for you. When the hose comes up through the pole it comes out a little hole in the gooseneck and I think they put it there. Similar effect to a univalve, but you turn it on and off yourself, rather than yanking on the pole hose to turn it on and off like you would with a univalve. For Gardiner hoses their common connectors are called EZ snap. They do others but I stick to the EZ snap ones. Lol I’m starting to think I should be a salesman for Gardiner ?. When you’re starting don’t get too bogged down with loads of fancy equipment. Buy what you can reasonably afford. For me the best addition I didn’t start with but I’d recommend is a swivel gooseneck - makes getting the brushes into corners and odd angles much easier. I didn’t ask but what is your set up for water? Do you have a tank in a van or working from a backpack etc?
I'll have a look. I'm buying a van with a system installed from baileys wfp systems. Glad you recommend the gooseneck as there's lots of options when ordering the pole. I was going to go with pencil jets on the brush then fan jets for the gutter brush 

Latest Posts

Back