Generator with Atom

wezza13

I’ve just bought this generator from Machine Mart to use with my Skyvac Atom https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-pg3800dv-3kva-230v110v-dual-voltage-pet/

I’ve never owned a generator before but, going through the manual, it’s emphasising that it needs to be grounded via a wire and a copper or iron spike. 

Do I simply just attach some copper wire to the grounding nut on the generator and then stick it in the ground? 

Any help really appreciated, as very eager to get it up and running and test it out.

Cheers

8 minutes ago, wezza13 said:

I’ve just bought this generator from Machine Mart to use with my Skyvac Atom https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-pg3800dv-3kva-230v110v-dual-voltage-pet/

I’ve never owned a generator before but, going through the manual, it’s emphasising that it needs to be grounded via a wire and a copper or iron spike. 

Do I simply just attach some copper wire to the grounding nut on the generator and then stick it in the ground? 

Any help really appreciated, as very eager to get it up and running and test it out.

Cheers

I'm on my second one and never done that. I'm either very lucky or it's not required.

6 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

I'm on my second one and never done that. I'm either very lucky or it's not required.

That’s what I was thinking. I remember my uncle using a generator a lot and never doing anything like that.

27 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

I agree but funny enough my interceptor has an earth strap on it and that is only an engine not a generator but it doesn’t touch the ground anyway 😂😂😂😂 guessing that’s for a static charge .

scottish cleaning service

Going to use my new generator tomorrow with my Vac as I have 2 houses joined together to clear out.

On 13/07/2020 at 21:23, wezza13 said:

Cheers

don't bother. I only ground generators which are 10kva 3 phase 

If you are really wanting to get a ground spike from toolstation or screwfix and some cooper wire 

Another invaluable tip.

Run in your new generator for 20 hours then drain out all the oil and dispose of it. Refill with new and maintain regular service intervals. Also a £10 electronic engine hour meter tacho is a great investment