Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Georgian windows

Radders

FA0E558C-FEDD-4716-A1AA-A6F3CDE1F75E.pngFirst job today and i’m struggling with Georgian windows. As shown in the video the squeegee rubber folded over the edges leaving probably 10%+ of water on the glass. Am I doing this wrong or is this just how it is? Sorry for the short clip, it wouldn’t let me upload anything longer. 
I’ve now deleted the video and uploaded a photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it didn't let you load that one either.

Is the squeegy to wide for the window? You might need to cut a channel down to fit. There will always be a bit of water left to detail, I find those new fangled large microfibre cloths better than a scrim for that.

If you having problems then clean them with cloths, can't beat a good old leather and scrim like when I started out in 80's but now I would wet up with a synthetic leather and polish off wita large microfibre glass cloth.  plenty of good alternatives rather than a squeegee on a very small window to show off your skill and craft.

Wfp is the way ahead it’s so much quicker and easier in this type of window , I used to do them trad but once I got the pole it made life so much easier I now enjoy cleaning this type of window when I dreaded them before .  

Trimming the rubber down a bit at the sides might help. Just watch you don't damage the frames. You'll still have a bit left to detail though. As others have said wfp is usually a time saver on these.

Dogear your channel and cut the squeegee down to the width of the handle and jobs a good un.

Or get a liquidator and cut that down.

Dogear your channel and cut the squeegee down to the width of the handle and jobs a good un.

Or get a liquidator and cut that down.
I need to do this, just for one big job I have to regularly with 1000s of panes. Barely do any trad and got 3 channels, 1 is ok for some of these, but need to get 2 more cut down to exact size so can just blade down and no detail hopefully. Last time I didnt put fairy in the water, did the time before and time before just used scrim. next time will use fairy and just straight pulls with exact size blade for windows. Really wanted them to let me wfp but they wont have it.

Tradding Georgian windows on a large house with a tiny squeegee is a good recipe for insanity imo ?

If they've been done recently then just use pure water spray and a scrim. You can keep them up to a good standard a lot easier just scrimming them with pure. If it's a first clean tho it's not enough. 

Tradding Georgian windows on a large house with a tiny squeegee is a good recipe for insanity imo ?

If they've been done recently then just use pure water spray and a scrim. You can keep them up to a good standard a lot easier just scrimming them with pure. If it's a first clean tho it's not enough. 
Yeh Ive done this place just scrim and it went ok, just a fine mist spray and dry off with scrim, usually only dusty. Odd stubborn bits bit of elbow grease with sponge scourer.

I have a cut down liquidater channel ( 6inch ) and a short applicator. Plus use less liquid on the panes of the couple of georgian jobs I have and find it rather therapeutic with no problems as it is down to technique which is what comes with practice and experience. 

I have a cut down liquidater channel ( 6inch ) and a short applicator. Plus use less liquid on the panes of the couple of georgian jobs I have and find it rather therapeutic with no problems as it is down to technique which is what comes with practice and experience. 

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

Latest Posts

Back