Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Rectus fitting conundrum

Baldmonkey

Does anyone know why all of a sudden the rectus fittings stop shutting the water flow off when disconnected.. They all of a sudden stop sealing and I get wet trying to get it to seal ?????????????

Does anyone know why all of a sudden the rectus fittings stop shutting the water flow off when disconnected.. They all of a sudden stop sealing and I get wet trying to get it to seal ?????????????
Its a pain when it happens. I don't know why it happens but they did start out as compressed air fittings.We sold Schraeder air fittings 50 years ago as accessories to our Devilbiss Spraygun range.

Alex once stated that wear on the male barb fitting can cause issues and both fittings should be replaced together. In our case with 5 poles, 3 hose reels and a backpack, its easier said than done. Each pole must work with each hose reel.

When I was using them I put it down to tiny particles of grit getting in them. They work with much finer tolerances than say hozelock fittings and as a consequence are more susceptible to being damaged by grit. 

The problem is they are air line fittings and not designed for water , air pressure would be a minimum of 100 psi and that pressure they operate without any problems , but with water the pressure isn’t enough to actuate and close the fitting , they do wear very quickly with water we regularly replace them after a couple of weeks to a three months old . We need a fitting the same size as a rectus 21 that will fit inside a pole but one that’s custom made for  our requirements but no one seams interested in doing anything about it , I have personally spoken to a few wfp manufacturers , Steve at exceed Inovation did bring out the slick connect thing but it’s to big and bulky to go inside a pole or floor rollers , so we need something else . 

The problem is they are air line fittings and not designed for water , air pressure would be a minimum of 100 psi and that pressure they operate without any problems , but with water the pressure isn’t enough to actuate and close the fitting , they do wear very quickly with water we regularly replace them after a couple of weeks to a three months old . We need a fitting the same size as a rectus 21 that will fit inside a pole but one that’s custom made for  our requirements but no one seams interested in doing anything about it , I have personally spoken to a few wfp manufacturers , Steve at exceed Inovation did bring out the slick connect thing but it’s to big and bulky to go inside a pole or floor rollers , so we need something else . 
Genuine rectus fittings aren’t just for air line - they are manufactured and specc’d for liquids and gasses. The problems arise when you buy the cheap knock offs that window cleaning suppliers sell. I replace mine once a year (although I find using hoseless helps). With anything metal on metal you will get wear - it’s unavoidable.  

The thing is that I find it doesn't happen often. I have an EZ Snap male and female connector on my hose reel and pole that's been on there well over a year. I had an issue once last week with the stop connector jamming open.

I think constant coupling and uncoupling doesn’t help.

Once connected at the beginning of the day, both poles stay connected all day to the reels. I don’t think I’ve changed my rectus fitting for years ??‍?

I don’t use them, John guest fittings for me cheaper and last longer than the rectus only trouble is they don’t have a auto stop but that isn’t really needed if you are tubeless. 

Genuine rectus fittings aren’t just for air line - they are manufactured and specc’d for liquids and gasses. The problems arise when you buy the cheap knock offs that window cleaning suppliers sell. I replace mine once a year (although I find using hoseless helps). With anything metal on metal you will get wear - it’s unavoidable.  
The ones we use are genuine not the cheap Chinese’s copies , when used on an air line there is a 100 psi of air to snap them shut and they last years , with water they hadn’t close as although the pump is 100 psi technically there isn’t 100 psi going down the hose to the fitting and it’s not enough pressure to   seat the fitting  , I actually phoned the manufacturer and spoke to them about it and sent fitting back to them to test , they worked fine on air but not the water , they said that they   they arnt designed to  work with water but should be ok , they Clearly arnt fit for purpose but there is very little else on the market that will fit up the pole and act as an end stop , so we just replace them every few weeks , we connect and disconnect them at every job so probably 30-60 times a day On average.   

The ones we use are genuine not the cheap Chinese’s copies , when used on an air line there is a 100 psi of air to snap them shut and they last years , with water they hadn’t close as although the pump is 100 psi technically there isn’t 100 psi going down the hose to the fitting and it’s not enough pressure to   seat the fitting  , I actually phoned the manufacturer and spoke to them about it and sent fitting back to them to test , they worked fine on air but not the water , they said that they   they arnt designed to  work with water but should be ok , they Clearly arnt fit for purpose but there is very little else on the market that will fit up the pole and act as an end stop , so we just replace them every few weeks , we connect and disconnect them at every job so probably 30-60 times a day On average.   
There lies your problem, can you not just leave them connected?

And a fine wire spring which can break and jam the fitting. 
I wasn't aware of the spring, grease usually sorts them out for me but my current one is a still a bit jammed up so maybe the wire spring is shot, but I only disconnect when adding or removing extensions but most days never, so I'll keep using it 

Since I swapped to genuine Parker rectus 21 I haven’t had an issue. I disconnect between every job and connect the hose reel to a connector in the top of the tank (recirculating the hot water to keep the hose warm). Last changed my fittings 9 months ago and they are still going strong. Strange how we seem to have similar set ups @Pjj but you have to replace yours so frequently? 

Since I swapped to genuine Parker rectus 21 I haven’t had an issue. I disconnect between every job and connect the hose reel to a connector in the top of the tank (recirculating the hot water to keep the hose warm). Last changed my fittings 9 months ago and they are still going strong. Strange how we seem to have similar set ups @Pjj but you have to replace yours so frequently? 
Lol yes it is it was Parker that I spoke to and sent the faulty fittings back to ????, it’s frustrating I still feel we need a fitting made specifically for wfp  use but no one is interested in developing it 

is it a genuine Parker rectus or Chinesium clone. Grit dirt debris in the fitting is the biggest culprit 

Introducing WD-40 is just another contaminate which will end up on the glass 

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning all. 
Remember reading this and having been cheesed off with constant leaking I changed my rectus over to this in a van to test.

It uses a male and female John guest. They don’t last forever but about as long as I was able to maintain the rectus. The key difference is it’s a lot cheaper to change this male and female JG compared to a pair of rectus. When it comes to multiple vans it gets a bit silly changing rectus constantly. 

appreciate it’s not ideal for uni valve users but thought to share as it may help a few out.

its quite simple and tidy. I buy the fittings from eBay and get a load for £10 or so depending on how many you want. Had the valve bodies already

in another van I am testing the same valve but with a male barb. Then just pushing on a naked pole hose. Over the last 6 weeks I’ve found this the easiest and cheapest. Hose stays put without clips too. Will post a pic later. 

295D2439-4C7B-4D86-8876-DCBC365A8C59.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back