Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

My journey begins

CraigC

It's been just shy of 2 months since I started reading this forum for advice on starting up a window cleaning business. All of your posts have been invaluable so thanks to all contributors.

I decided early on I wanted to reproduce Apw1210's excellent WFP trolley and since completing it I must have cleaned my own windows at least 10 times in practice runs.

Two weeks ago I commissioned a leaflet design and upon approval set about ordering 5,000.

This morning the leaflets arrived on my doorstep so I wasted no time in starting to distribute them.

So far I've had 7 leads with 5 of them already booked in for first cleans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Around 950. Wasn't really expecting any same day response though. Was expecting leads to start filtering in from tomorrow. I'll have to keep a log of lead/leaflet percentages.

It's been just shy of 2 months since I started reading this forum for advice on starting up a window cleaning business. All of your posts have been invaluable so thanks to all contributors.

I decided early on I wanted to reproduce Apw1210's excellent WFP trolley and since completing it I must have cleaned my own windows at least 10 times in practice runs.

Two weeks ago I commissioned a leaflet design and upon approval set about ordering 5,000.

This morning the leaflets arrived on my doorstep so I wasted no time in starting to distribute them.

Wishing you all the best of luck ✌??

How are you deciding to go about distributing them in terms of areas etc? Are you missing out properties that don’t have good access or just targeting everything?

Also, if you don’t mind me asking, how are you pricing the properties?

Regards.

Well done and welcome to the trade mate. Show us your build 

Its gonna take forever to build a round with leaflets if you need work fast....you need to knock on the doors too,use Facebook,an advert in local parish magazine,etc,etc.....
I'm fine with a slow buildup but I think I can do pretty good on leafleting alone for now. There's around 2,500 properties within a half mile radius, maybe 4 times that if you go out to a mile.

Wishing you all the best of luck ✌??

How are you deciding to go about distributing them in terms of areas etc? Are you missing out properties that don’t have good access or just targeting everything?

Also, if you don’t mind me asking, how are you pricing the properties?

Regards.
Just blanket dropping unless I notice something like damaged windows or obstructions when getting there.

Pricing, probably "busy fool" levels if I'm being honest but there's a lot of 2 bed terraced nearby with council provided gates on the alleyways so there's only 2 windows and a door at the front. If I can get a few in a row I think it'll work out.

Well done and welcome to the trade mate. Show us your build 
I kinda blew my budget before thinking about the pole and brush so had to improvise on that front. My pole is a 24' aluminium decorators pole with pipe fed through the interior, my brush head is a bargain store brush head with holes drilled through it and bristles removed near the hole and industrial strength velcro (fluffy side) "bumpers", my "pencil jets" used to be nibs of pens.

"Necessity is the mother of invention" after all. I will be getting a CLX 22 as soon as possible but for now it does the job.

Photo attached, just noticed a seagull decided to photobomb.

IMG_20200716_090052~2.jpg

Well done mate reminds me of when I first started I remember my work phone ringing for the first time and my stomach turning ?

Personally if you’re going WFP route I wouldn’t target terrace houses, however if you can trad I feel like there’s a gap in the market to be exploited (be interested to hear others opinions on that)  

I agree with Dazmond if you’re just starting out and don’t have much to spend get knocking on doors it’s free and you can build a nice compact round meaning a higher hourly rate. 

I’d also save the extra and get a SLX 

Best of luck buddy  

Good luck to you, I’ve lost a fair few since Covid and I’m still nowhere near 100 customers..

ordered 5000 leaflets and dropped  1.5k so far (5 days ago) and so far nothing.. i personally would say my area is hard to get a foot in due to so many windies.. 

I'm fine with a slow buildup but I think I can do pretty good on leafleting alone for now. There's around 2,500 properties within a half mile radius, maybe 4 times that if you go out to a mile.

Just blanket dropping unless I notice something like damaged windows or obstructions when getting there.

Pricing, probably "busy fool" levels if I'm being honest but there's a lot of 2 bed terraced nearby with council provided gates on the alleyways so there's only 2 windows and a door at the front. If I can get a few in a row I think it'll work out.

I kinda blew my budget before thinking about the pole and brush so had to improvise on that front. My pole is a 24' aluminium decorators pole with pipe fed through the interior, my brush head is a bargain store brush head with holes drilled through it and bristles removed near the hole and industrial strength velcro (fluffy side) "bumpers", my "pencil jets" used to be nibs of pens.

"Necessity is the mother of invention" after all. I will be getting a CLX 22 as soon as possible but for now it does the job.

Photo attached, just noticed a seagull decided to photobomb.

View attachment 21391
Looking impressive 

Like Daz said, to get any sort of decent headway with building up a business that you can earn good money from, get out and door knock. 

But don't forget your face mask.

Still a bit anxious about knocking on doors unsolicited right now to be honest. You don't know how people are going to react, whether they're vulnerable and shielding etc.

Still getting calls from my initial leaflet drop saying they haven't seen their previous windy in years and never been canvassed or leafleted since. Haven't had time to make another drop due to first cleans. Getting good responses so far.

Still a bit anxious about knocking on doors unsolicited right now to be honest. You don't know how people are going to react, whether they're vulnerable and shielding etc.

Still getting calls from my initial leaflet drop saying they haven't seen their previous windy in years and never been canvassed or leafleted since. Haven't had time to make another drop due to first cleans. Getting good responses so far.
Sounds like you have hit a good area. How are your arms holding up, trolley working well?

Sounds like you have hit a good area. How are your arms holding up, trolley working well?
Trolley is working great, shoulders not so bad (and I've dislocated one of them a couple of times) despite the aluminium pole. Getting a workout on my biceps pushing that trolley though.

Most houses are caked in dirt due to years of neglect so I've been mixing 100ml of No Nonsense degreaser (Screwfix) into 25L of pure in the first barrel and just pure into the second. Seems to do the job of making them presentable.

Honestly my biggest concern right now is paint on the glass. It seems to be on every home. The occasional flecks you can remove with a bit of pressure on your fingernail but larger areas, nope.

Note to self: Get a glass scraper ASAP. (EDIT: Just ordered one and 5 replacement blades from Screwfix for £3 ? )

Trolley is working great, shoulders not so bad (and I've dislocated one of them a couple of times) despite the aluminium pole. Getting a workout on my biceps pushing that trolley though.

Most houses are caked in dirt due to years of neglect so I've been mixing 100ml of No Nonsense degreaser (Screwfix) into 25L of pure in the first barrel and just pure into the second. Seems to do the job of making them presentable.

Honestly my biggest concern right now is paint on the glass. It seems to be on every home. The occasional flecks you can remove with a bit of pressure on your fingernail but larger areas, nope.

Note to self: Get a glass scraper ASAP.
The unger ninja or ergotec 15cm scrapers are the best. Stay away from the **** pressed metal galvanised ones. They rot like hell and blades rust out 

Note to self: Get a glass scraper ASAP. (EDIT: Just ordered one and 5 replacement blades from Screwfix for £3 ? )
I wouldn't be rushing around cleaning paint off windows free of charge. It's probably been on for years and I wouldn't do it unless the customer asked me to. Don't start volunteering to do jobs FOC, and if you do feel that you need to do it then tell them what you have done. 

I wouldn't be rushing around cleaning paint off windows free of charge. It's probably been on for years and I wouldn't do it unless the customer asked me to. Don't start volunteering to do jobs FOC, and if you do feel that you need to do it then tell them what you have done. 
Great advice, otherwise you will constantly hear ‘can you just’ lol

Back