Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Strange marks on soffit

JBC

20200715_141231.jpg

Hey guys, I'm on a g/f/s job and have come across these strange marks... 

Tried screwfix degreaser, pink stuff and a bit of bleach. Cant budge them. I spoke to the home owner as I thought it might be some kind of sealer gone wrong but he built the house himself and says its nothing he is aware off. ?

Any ideas? 

View attachment 21380

Tried screwfix degreaser, pink stuff and a bit of bleach. Cant budge them. I spoke to the home owner as I thought it might be some kind of sealer gone wrong but he built the house himself and says its nothing he is aware off. ?

Any ideas? 
It looks to me as if aomeone at some time has used a stiff bristled brush to clear dust/debris before cleaning and inadvertently marked the underneath. Wouldn't worry as even studying picture you have to really look for the marks, won't be visible from the ground. 

Well the chap said they looked loads better and said he'd give me a google review... So in hindsight I probably wasted 2 hours scrubbing marks that I had no chance of shifting ?

View attachment 21380

Any ideas? 
Looks like was painted and where the paint hasn't been thick enough or needed 2nd coat. I did some today with the dreaded zebra stripes. I dont do battle with those and just tell the customer they are permanent.

Looks like ladder marks to me. Maybe the last windy used a ladder and jammed it up against the soffit or the painter when they were staining the windows. My reasoning is because its above the centre of the window. ?

Looks like was painted and where the paint hasn't been thick enough or needed 2nd coat. I did some today with the dreaded zebra stripes. I dont do battle with those and just tell the customer they are permanent.
Yeah it seemed like paint to me. ?‍♂️ I have had some success with the zebra/tiger stripes by using the pink stuff. But as you say it is always a battle ?

I find I am always a bit of a perfectionist when it comes g/s/f cleans. I always worry they aren't good enough but then never had a complaint. Seems to be a lot of these jobs at the mo. 

Looks like ladder marks to me. Maybe the last windy used a ladder and jammed it up against the soffit or the painter when they were staining the windows. My reasoning is because its above the centre of the window. ?
Interesting @scottish cleaning service ? 

Funnily enough they did all seem to be above windows, apart from the worst which was over a little extension.

It’s more than likely pencil from where someones been measuring up i had a job like that where it had literally just been fitted the builders had got long pencil marks all over the soffits & were still there doing other things. the owner went mad at me for not getting them off... 

having a giraffe if they thought i was going up there with a rubber (that i didnt have to hand) rubbing it all out.
tbh there were other things on that job too...she wanted an interior window clean as part of the job (the decorators and plasterers were still inside) and had caked every interior pane and frame in plaster and paint. You name it.
Gutted id spent a few hours outside first clearing out the gutters and washing fascias etc as if i could have forseen what was expected of me inside i wouldnt have bothered and written the job off straight away and said let them sort their own mess out.

i thought omg if youre expecting me to sort this nightmare out for the price i’ve quoted there’s no chance in hell. I was pretty new to it all it was very early days and had quoted £100 for the lot. Anyway ended up getting in to an argument with the owner and i walked off the job in the end. I said to myself never again will i agree to work when there is major works happening at the same time and never will i agree to do builders cleans or waste my time tidying up other peoples mess. Absolute nightmare. 

Back