Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tips on saving water?

Griff

Hi all, 

ive recently started up and using the water fed pole also got the remote to save water and battery life. any tips to save water and time? 

thanks in advance 

Hi all, 

ive recently started up and using the water fed pole also got the remote to save water and battery life. any tips to save water and time? 

thanks in advance 
Refine your technique with time, create a threshold timing per window. Scrub rinse etc. Univalve, one-shot are the two best inventions ever 

Will definitely bear this in mind .. I guess everybody is different but how much water on average per house is normal? Thank you 
That’s the can of worms open then......... Anyway I use that invention what nearly every controlled water source uses. 

If you are charging an adequate amount to cover water & resin bills then you won’t worry too much, If you are unfortunate enough to be on a meter Or in a hard water area and needing and R.O. then it throws in additional costs. 
also the higher the windows you clean the more expensive a pole you need. 
you kind of learn these things as you go along. 
the only sure way to use very little water is to trad, but then the work is a lot more dangerous, the work will take A lot longer, and There will always be certain windows you can’t reach. 
i’m fortunate enough not to be on a meter but the water bill still goes up significantly as they take an annual reading outside in the street. 
Remember it is very hard to raise a price once set so my advice would be take on new customers at significantly higher rates to cover the bills of modern times. 

Never used a univalve and see no point on spending £45 on something to save a few litres of water a day, just work more efficiently overtime and avoid one less piece of kit to go wrong. 

Never used a univalve and see no point on spending £45 on something to save a few litres of water a day, just work more efficiently overtime and avoid one less piece of kit to go wrong. 
I recently got a univalve, it's brilliant.  It's not the saving on water, the saving is minimal.  For me it's the ability to turn the water on and off to keep everything neat and tidy without water going everywhere.  When you're extending your pole for a hard to reach window, instead of rushing and potentially pulling your back / shoulder muscles, you can take your time get the angle correct, do a few stretches even, and then just pull the pipe and bingo you have instant water, clean the window then turn the water off and release the clamps and bring the brush back down.  Feels more professional as well, just a feeling you get, sounds daft but you would have to have used one to know what I mean, like you have more control over the kit.

Also if a neighbour or customer comes out chatting then you can turn the water off.  It's just very convenient and saves worrying about leaving the water flowing while not working.

For the money it's well worth it.  Especially if you have a trolley, you don't have to bend down all the time to disconnect the pipe / turn the machine off while readjusting position.

Fair enough but surprised at that, couldn't imagine not using one myself. Like Chris has just said, its mainly about the tidiness for me, especially when collapsing the pole and moving to the back of the house etc. I don't know the calculations but seen as you have a full round it might pay for itself quite quickly, not sure?

I also find them very useful for times when customers come out for a chat etc (just realised chris also said this ?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that doing them all twice ??? 15 litres may be about 2 litres per windows on a 7 window house. Christ that’s flooding them. 
I don't do any 3 bed houses with only 7 windows, I also took into account he's a newbie and won't be fully up to speed. So by your calculations I should be doing 85 3 bed houses on a 650l tank? Good luck doing a good job with that

I don't do any 3 bed houses with only 7 windows, I also took into account he's a newbie and won't be fully up to speed. So by your calculations I should be doing 85 3 bed houses on a 650l tank? Good luck doing a good job with that
Do you think the average of 2 litres per window is more accurate on maintenance clean?

I’m not from the self taught brigade. So using 2 litres of water on an average size window is alien to me. If that’s your technique then fair play to you. Speed will improve as time goes by but reducing water usage goes against what most know so can’t be achieved. It’s a mind set. If most people staring out used as least water as possible on there own windows for practice they would see what’s possible. If you start out using massive amounts of water then you always will do. That will be normal to you. 

I recently got a univalve, it's brilliant.  It's not the saving on water, the saving is minimal.  For me it's the ability to turn the water on and off to keep everything neat and tidy without water going everywhere.  When you're extending your pole for a hard to reach window, instead of rushing and potentially pulling your back / shoulder muscles, you can take your time get the angle correct, do a few stretches even, and then just pull the pipe and bingo you have instant water, clean the window then turn the water off and release the clamps and bring the brush back down.  Feels more professional as well, just a feeling you get, sounds daft but you would have to have used one to know what I mean, like you have more control over the kit.

Also if a neighbour or customer comes out chatting then you can turn the water off.  It's just very convenient and saves worrying about leaving the water flowing while not working.

For the money it's well worth it.  Especially if you have a trolley, you don't have to bend down all the time to disconnect the pipe / turn the machine off while readjusting position.
Inline tap very easy dropped close to where i am standing , extend pole a quick stamp on tap water on, custy comes out to talk quickly nip the hose or rest pole on sill small stretching exercise turn tap off or nipped hose place base of pole on nipped hose and water stays off , it's 50/50 which ever way you look at it they both involve placement of pole and an action to turn the water off, 

12 years ago I started out basic before all the gizmos came along, learned to carry all the spares I need and anything breaks or needs sorting out it's a simple fix or swap

I’m not from the self taught brigade. So using 2 litres of water on an average size window is alien to me. If that’s your technique then fair play to you. Speed will improve as time goes by but reducing water usage goes against what most know so can’t be achieved. It’s a mind set. If most people staring out used as least water as possible on there own windows for practice they would see what’s possible. If you start out using massive amounts of water then you always will do. That will be normal to you. 
I didn't say I use 2 litres per window, don't you bother to read posts, but then use false information to criticise? If you can be bothered to read what I posted correctly then tell me where I said 2 litres per window.

When I'm travelling I have jobs to do that take anything up to 2 days to do, I promise you I understand how important water conservation is.

As for your first sentence I didn't actually need to be taught how to clean windows so I must therefore fall into the lesser category window cleaner!!!!!!

Do you think the average of 2 litres per window is more accurate on maintenance clean?
I don't understand how I'm now being tagged with 2 litres per window. Someone, that obviously didn't read my post correctly and thinks they can clean 85 3 bed houses using 650l of water, thinks that an average 3 bed semi has 7 windows and no doors so said I use 2 litres per window. As a single window shouldn't take any longer than 30 seconds I would think a litre per window is the maximum you should be looking at.

univalve!! just pinch the pole hose between windows, take's five minutes to master, have the pole hose running through your hand next to the connector, saves the connectors getting knocked about too. £45 for a univalve,which do break, or nothing, just a finger pinch. easy decision!!

Back