Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Public issues with trailing hose....

Skywalker

Hey Guys and Girls,

I was on a job today and I could not park that close to the house, so I reeled out and made sure my hose was nice and neat with minimal trip hazzards, the part on the pavement I put x2 cones and then started the job.  Whilst finishing up a woman with a buggy came up the street and made out she needed to be an Olympic hurdler to get over the hose, she was muttering some words under her breath which were not pleasant, but I just wondered in regards to an insurance claim, are the cones enough to say hazard and you are covered?. Any body else had these issues.

Actually second time this week someone’s has had a pop a me, that time is because I parked on the pavement and blocked it. Again I put the cones up because the house is on the junction of a mini round about in a quite village, but I can’t park in the road as there’s not enough room if the bus comes down, then some guy said “well that’s f***ing good, now I have to walk in the road”. I must be having one of those weeks!!

5D439150-12D6-4808-A775-728F858A7C7B.jpeg

I don’t think what you’ve done is unreasonable at all. I only have a backpack at the moment, so don’t have this happen to me, but a local window cleaner to me does the same. He has a sticker that he made on them that says something like “window cleaner at work. Apologies for any inconvenience”. Hasn’t seemed to have caused him a problem as far as I’m aware.

Regarding people though, I’m sure the lockdown has had a strange effect on some people as some seem to be way more impatient than ever or just moan at really petty things.

The big problem is with wheelchairs and people pushing prams. If you fully block the pavement and you force them on to the road and they get hit by traffic then i'm sure they would have a good case to sue you. Pavements are for pedestrians and up here they have made a new law. Park on a pavement with two wheels or four and you can get a ticket or charged. I always leave enough room for a wheelchair to get by. fwiw

The big problem is with wheelchairs and people pushing prams. If you fully block the pavement and you force them on to the road and they get hit by traffic then i'm sure they would have a good case to sue you. Pavements are for pedestrians and up here they have made a new law. Park on a pavement with two wheels or four and you can get a ticket or charged. I always leave enough room for a wheelchair to get by. fwiw
Here in Essex it’s almost impossible at times to not park on the pavement, there is just not the room!!  
Obviously I do not want people walking in the road, but they could just cross over the road rather than walking in it, and use a bit of common sense.  I’m just not sure what else I can do?

When you do this then you need to take a photo, then if anything happens you can prove you have taken all reasonable measures to prevent an accident. Would be very surprised if anyone tried to claim would even get to Court but as others have said I'm not a Solicitor 

This is one of the concerns I had when starting into WFP. Around where I work it's fairly common to see cars and vans completely blocking pavements due to parking issues, and I have to be honest I find it a tad irritating when I have to walk in the road to get round a vehicle parked in such a way, especially when there's often safer parking less than a minutes walk away. There are also a considerable number of mum's with kids and push chairs, and mobility scooter users around where I work as well.

In the end I opted to work with a trolley as I can park a short distance away and walk. The further I have to walk the more I charge. Most customers have understood completely when I've explained.

Here in Essex it’s almost impossible at times to not park on the pavement, there is just not the room!!  
Obviously I do not want people walking in the road, but they could just cross over the road rather than walking in it, and use a bit of common sense.  I’m just not sure what else I can do?
There is one area In Essex where I have to drag hose up and down the road and park on the kerb as do all the residents. It’s like a rabbit Warren.  Nice enough area but small road and lots of vehicles. 

Where are you based?

A lawyer would take the case on because they would state that you could use a backpack so you don't need the van near the house. Pavements are for pedestrians not for parking vehicles nor bikes. The law up here will eventually be adopted down south. A pedestrian got hit by a cyclist who was cycling along a pavement and died.

A lawyer would take the case on because they would state that you could use a backpack so you don't need the van near the house. Pavements are for pedestrians not for parking vehicles nor bikes. The law up here will eventually be adopted down south. A pedestrian got hit by a cyclist who was cycling along a pavement and died.
Yeah because the solicitor would of says in court ,

the window cleaner should of been using a backpack from gardines?

ohh and that he should of got an slx 35, instead of using the slx18 as he could of reached from across the street ?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is one area In Essex where I have to drag hose up and down the road and park on the kerb as do all the residents. It’s like a rabbit Warren.  Nice enough area but small road and lots of vehicles. 

Where are you based?
Hey Den

Mostly In Billericay, but I do a lot in the surround areas of Noak Bridge, Steeple View, Langdon Hills.  Some of the roads are so narrow it’s a nightmare. 

Your hose looks neat n comes look like you can get buggy round. I'm always aware of leaving enough room, for wheelchair users, as used to be a carer.

People walk around me on the road,when working on  a street cos they dont want to get in my way or get wet. I do try n thank them all, but some are there n gone before I know it, probably think I'm unthankful, but I'm not.

I got rid of my warning cones a few years ago......I was either leaving them on jobs,driving over them or the general public nearly tripping over them!??
One of my friends was working and saw a blind guy coming up the road so guided the guy over the hose.

Further up the road the poor guy fell over his cone.

He was ok and in good spirits but something to think about.

One of my friends was working and saw a blind guy coming up the road so guided the guy over the hose.

Further up the road the poor guy fell over his cone.

He was ok and in good spirits but something to think about.
No warning cones then leaving yourself open to a claim. Moment you tell a lawyer the window cleaner laid down a hose over the pavement and never put out barriers nor cones then you are wide open to a claim. You have got to respect blind people and walk them through your risk area. ?

Yeah because the solicitor would of says in court ,

the window cleaner should of been using a backpack from gardines?

ohh and that he should of got an slx 35, instead of using the slx18 as he could of reached from across the street ?
Wait till one day You receive a lawyers letter that they have served a writ against you or your company at the county court! You may as well hand them your wallet. I have been there and a lawyer is £200 an hour to defend you. Much better to spend an extra 10mins making your Risk Area safe for the public and it shouldn't happen. fwiw ?

Wait till one day You receive a lawyers letter that they have served a writ against you or your company at the county court! You may as well hand them your wallet. I have been there and a lawyer is £200 an hour to defend you. Much better to spend an extra 10mins making your Risk Area safe for the public and it shouldn't happen. fwiw ?
Which book you been reading ??

No warning cones then leaving yourself open to a claim. Moment you tell a lawyer the window cleaner laid down a hose over the pavement and never put out barriers nor cones then you are wide open to a claim. You have got to respect blind people and walk them through your risk area. ?
He had cones out nearer to the van but was doing a few houses in a row.

He guided him over the hose but the cones were a few houses up the road.

How many cones do you need to carry lol.

I don't use cones but always park outside the jobs and use a couple of 25l barrels to mark the hose if needed.

Hey Den

Mostly In Billericay, but I do a lot in the surround areas of Noak Bridge, Steeple View, Langdon Hills.  Some of the roads are so narrow it’s a nightmare. 
More @Marko067 neck of the woods, South woodham ferrers can be a pain only today I had to move beccause someone double parked and a skip lorry wanted to get by. 

There are also a considerable number of mum's with kids and push chairs
I've found some of these to be the worst for parking they complain about not getting by with a buggy but when it comes to some of them parking the are inches from a garden wall or lawn or park completely on the hose so they have to be knocked and asked to move as they have stopped the water,

I always park considerately to give a pedestrian enough room to get by on the path but also not to restrict the flow of traffic, then like @Den you get some idiot park opposite and it's us who end up having to move 

Yep, seen that too.

Had the park on the hose thing the other week. Some friendly young chap pulled up and parked smack on my hose and makes to get out of his car. So I ask him politely to roll his car forward. He's friendly thankfully, and we both have a laugh. He says 'sorry fella, I never saw it.'

I'm thinking, 'I'm nearly six foot, I'm 16 1/2 stone. My bright blue trolley is not six feet away and my hose is bright green. How can you not see me.'  Where his head was at I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back