Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Giant asian hornet queen

ks789

Im 90% sure it was, and ive reported it to beekeepers and some govt body, but as I didnt get a photo they wont follow up. One said unlikely to be the giant asian hornet, more likely just the asian hornet, though this thing was a good 2 inches long. Fairly sure it wasnt a giant woodwasp, which are harmless, it didnt have the egg laying tube. I know for fact it was not our native hornet which I see every year. Trouble is, if one nest gets going, by the end of the season 250 new queens will leave to start new nests, and then thats it. They destroy bee colonys in a short space of time. If anyone sees any try and get photo and report to relevant people and they should follow up/try and track them to nest and destroy. Most likely in south of country where milder weather 

Wow! I think this is what I must’ve seen on Thursday last week! I was confused cos there were bees and these massive hornets coming out of the same hole in a roof where I was cleaning up on the flat roof. ?

were the hornets going in and destroying them? Didn’t even give it the thought!

Wow! I think this is what I must’ve seen on Thursday last week! I was confused cos there were bees and these massive hornets coming out of the same hole in a roof where I was cleaning up on the flat roof. ?

were the hornets going in and destroying them? Didn’t even give it the thought!
Yes mate, they find where the hive/nest is and kill the bees and take the bee grubs to their nest to feed the young hornets. ten or so asian hornets will wipe out a bee colony very quickly. best report it so then they follow the hornets to try and find their nest to destroy. Unless it was native hornets? then they'll just leave it. You can google to see, they look very different to our hornets

these actually look different to what I saw. And when I Google “Different types of Hornets” I still can’t see the pic of what I saw last week. The ones I saw were even bigger. 

There’s loads of different kinds. Watch them all get lively as the fruit trees ripen.

Back