Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Park and get 50m hose off, or pack up and move?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ShropsWindowCleaner

Hi all. I’ve recently changed from using a backpack with a 10m hose, to a van mounted system with a 100m minibore 8mm hose. I have a scenario:

You have four houses in a 40 metre radius. Do you park in one location, unreel a load of hose and do all four? Or do you reel up after each one and move the van? 

Im finding it a right pain to unreel almost all the hose to furthest point and then shift it all around. Or is that just the nature of the beast?

Would appreciate any suggestions as to what works for you. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the hose can be a pain. I generally try to get as many houses done as possible without having to pack everything back up again. But having said that it can often be easier and quicker to do some of the work then reel back in and move the van to a different spot to finish up. It's a case by case basis I reckon.

Ye parking placement and hose management are key to minimising van moves. It usually takes a few passes to get it down to a tee and then just when you think youve cracked it someone parks in your spot? 

It’s been a nightmare during lockdown with more people being at home and having to find new parking spots and ways of working. 

Ye parking placement and hose management are key to minimising van moves. It usually takes a few passes to get it down to a tee and then just when you think youve cracked it someone parks in your spot? 

It’s been a nightmare during lockdown with more people being at home and having to find new parking spots and ways of working. 
The back pack has been really handy with all the cars on drives

We mostly set our round to work on the left hand side of the van. Two reels, two operators. Left side door and back doors. Mostly we do semis in pairs. Moving the van between each pair. We don't like to have too much trailing hose, for public safety and for our efficiency. . If we were in a cul-de-sac we might well do several from the one spot.

Park as close to the middle as you can and then go to the furthest flung house, preferably the back of said house, pulling the hose with you. It'll likely get caught on a corner or wheelie bin as hose has a mind of its own but this is what I do.

Reeling it all in and out is a pain but way way faster than a backpack and shorter length of hose, like you I started with that system and soon got feed up of getting it in and out of the van time and again. I still use the backpack now in my van setup with a  pure freedom 100m hose reel. Works perfectly well and I'm totally van based. One issue is it's only able to hold 23-25 litres of water so needs topping up unlike a larger tank and pump but it's still way better overall and can be removed simply unlike a bolted down system.

I use my van for camping etc so it's gotta be multi purpose.

I disagree with the above. Yes, park in the middle of the houses, but then reel out to your nearest window. Do that house then move to the next nearest unreeling as you go.

The logic behind this is that if you start at the furthest house, you are then lumbering all that hose about for the rest of the houses unnecessarily. Good luck ??‍?

I disagree with the above. Yes, park in the middle of the houses, but then reel out to your nearest window. Do that house then move to the next nearest unreeling as you go.

The logic behind this is that if you start at the furthest house, you are then lumbering all that hose about for the rest of the houses unnecessarily. Good luck ??‍?
Find I tend to get more reel snagging that way @steve garwood but it's a valid point you make, I suppose we do what suits. My hose doesn't make me lumber all that much, it's snagging on wheelie bins thats my pet hate.

Bin collection days are a PITA 

Back