Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tesco Express contracts

Danfire

Just read in the Guardian Tesco  is cancelling all private cleaning contracts for its Express stores. That includes all window cleaning. That's a lot of glass disappearing from our industry. That being said, if my local store is anything to go by the staff couldn't do a worse job than whoever is supposed to be doing it now. Sorry for anyone that was doing a good job though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read in the Guardian Tesco  is cancelling all private cleaning contracts for its Express stores. That includes all window cleaning. That's a lot of glass disappearing from our industry. That being said, if my local store is anything to go by the staff couldn't do a worse job than whoever is supposed to be doing it now. Sorry for anyone that was doing a good job though.
There will be a lot of this multi tasking by staff now. Looks like anything a staff member can do then they will be trained on how to do it. In our hotel days we had a barmaid, waiter and receptionist. In the 1990 recession my mum ended up doing all three jobs because they were quiet anyway. Can't see Tesco being quiet but a bean counter in head office has a sole job to reduce overheads. A lot of shop owners will now begin to copy Tesco.

Window cleaning has been low down the list for national chains like Tesco,Sainsburys and any other major high street chain for quite some time now.

Wile I don't wish to see any one made redundant or lose their job because of cut backs.I certainly wouldn't shed a tear if the likes of nationwide ,Antac ,servest etc went under because of it.

Window cleaning has been low down the list for national chains like Tesco,Sainsburys and any other major high street chain for quite some time now.

Wile I don't wish to see any one made redundant or lose their job because of cut backs.I certainly wouldn't shed a tear if the likes of nationwide ,Antac ,servest etc went under because of it.
I appreciate this might upset the employees on here but the sooner our industry doesn't  have to compete with people trying to justify paying minimum wage the sooner it will prosper. We have people banging on about minimum £40 an hour who then try and justify  paying someone just over £8 an hour. They  then claim newbies are killing the job, only one set killing the job.

I've spent a year with the glass cleaning contract and yes I've just lost 47 shops in my area.

Before you all think about running in store and dropping off your business cards.. dont bother.. they will have their over stretched colleagues attempt it.

A massive cluster clusterfcuk and loss. The next cuts will be Space their HVAC contractors 

I don't think it will be the last when it comes to cancelling contracts. More folk out of work will need to find a job and that means wages could stay the same but more tasks will be added.

I appreciate this might upset the employees on here but the sooner our industry doesn't  have to compete with people trying to justify paying minimum wage the sooner it will prosper. We have people banging on about minimum £40 an hour who then try and justify  paying someone just over £8 an hour. They  then claim newbies are killing the job, only one set killing the job.
This is exactly it.

I feel for the employees some work very hard and just want to earn a living and I don't wish to see any one struggle.But the likes of Nationwide have killed retail window cleaning.They also put a lot of small commercial one man banned or similar types out of business with their low prices unable to compete.

If I showed you some jobs I go to look at and the sheer size of some of these retail units and then told you what they are getting cleaned for you wouldn't believe me.

This is exactly it.

I feel for the employees some work very hard and just want to earn a living and I don't wish to see any one struggle.But the likes of Nationwide have killed retail window cleaning.They also put a lot of small commercial one man banned or similar types out of business with their low prices unable to compete.

If I showed you some jobs I go to look at and the sheer size of some of these retail units and then told you what they are getting cleaned for you wouldn't believe me.
I fully appreciate the price competition. I've priced up big commercial jobs that would take myself and my son  all day. This is 2 people that don't stop to smoke, answer phones etc, and work at a very high tempo.

We can't get £400, combined, for a day working like this if we're competing against companies with subsidized labour yet can get anything between £300 - £400 a day, each, if we're not

Last edited by a moderator:
I get one off jobs from a local Tesco express, the manager is never interested in a regular clean, absolutely shocking for a national retail chain to be tight on keeping there store premises looking clean for a small amount of money compared to other bills.

Back