Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Old heated xline system

Any one know any thing about these Xline systems.

View attachment 21450
Several suppliers used to link 2 smaller Wydale tanks together to double the capacity.

One of the suppliers made their tank frames of stainless steel. This one is old and shows on sign of rust so it could also be made of stainless steel. If the tanks don't leak then that side should be OK.

If you are considering buying it one pump is missing so expect to have to replace both with 2 controllers. The pipe work needs tidying up.  I see a 4040  r/o so presume you will need to replace the membrane.There appears to be a di vessel which you will need to fill with resin. There should be 2 prefilters, sediment and carbon block. Expect to replace both prefilters.

As is usual with old wfp equipment, sometimes the seller thinks used is worth more than it actually is.

IMHO the system is worth the second hand value of 2 Wydale tanks, a frame, an r/o housing, 2 prefilters and a di vessel.

Another windie on the other forum has a similar system by another supplier. His tanks aren't joined together so they drain into each other automatically. He fills both but has an electric element in one. So he has hot or cold water on tap.

Last edited by a moderator:
If its made from Aluminum then I would give it a miss tbh.

Why not give X-Line systems a ring and ask them @deannofor more details?
By looking at the thickness of the weld beads its alloy. Stainless is always flush pickled clean or either rainbow colour from the heat of tig welding 

Is it normal aluminium or aircraft grade ?.. that’s a lot stronger 

l
From experience it looks like standard box section. Very dull and oxidised. Aircraft grade reminds slightly shiny. The welding looks like awful. I can do better with my spool gun and murex mig 

From experience it looks like standard box section. Very dull and oxidised. Aircraft grade reminds slightly shiny. The welding looks like awful. I can do better with my spool gun and murex mig 
The grade of aluminium will be 6082, most standard box section is. Aircraft grade is 7000 series and is very hard to extrude, so expensive, so tends not to be used in standard applications.. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The grade of aluminium will be 6082, most standard box section is. Aircraft grade is 7000 series and is very hard to extrude, so expensive, so tends not to be used in standard applications.. 
The most commonly used Aircraft grade is T6 (6061 if I remember correctly). I can’t see the relevance in quoting ‘aircraft grade’ as it’s all nonsense. The only real difference is the price as aircraft grade has to be fully traceable back to where it was made, to what standard and what specifications. It’s all the same and it’s all ****!!! I’ve made panels out of T4, T6 and T7. Whatever is the cheapest gets fitted depending on the fluctuating price (as you’ll know @Part Timer). Buying a tank with an aluminium frame wouldn’t put me off, if you’ve seen how it reacts in a crash you’ll see it’s designed to fold and act like a shock absorber, as long as the tank has a lid that will give the water another way to go (Pop off) it would be just as safe as steel (in my opinion). Just check it doesn’t have too much corrosion on it because once that sets in it’s a bugger to stop.

The most commonly used Aircraft grade is T6 (6061 if I remember correctly). I can’t see the relevance in quoting ‘aircraft grade’ as it’s all nonsense. The only real difference is the price as aircraft grade has to be fully traceable back to where it was made, to what standard and what specifications. It’s all the same and it’s all ****!!! I’ve made panels out of T4, T6 and T7. Whatever is the cheapest gets fitted depending on the fluctuating price (as you’ll know @Part Timer). Buying a tank with an aluminium frame wouldn’t put me off, if you’ve seen how it reacts in a crash you’ll see it’s designed to fold and act like a shock absorber, as long as the tank has a lid that will give the water another way to go (Pop off) it would be just as safe as steel (in my opinion). Just check it doesn’t have too much corrosion on it because once that sets in it’s a bugger to stop.
I only mentioned aircraft grade as someone else did. Next Wednesday I'm in South Wales visiting the "Plane Reclaimers" to buy their scrap aluminium and that is mainly 7000 series.

6061 is very similar to 6082, slightly stronger properties as chromium has been added.

I only mentioned aircraft grade as someone else did. Next Wednesday I'm in South Wales visiting the "Plane Reclaimers" to buy their scrap aluminium and that is mainly 7000 series.

6061 is very similar to 6082, slightly stronger properties as chromium has been added.
It was me that mentioned aircraft grade aluminium it is a lot stronger than normal stuff   , we used to use it in some applications when I was in the motor trade , and I still have a full set of omnipole gutter poles made of it , heavy by today’s carbon ones .and it feels totally different to normal aluminium just by handling it , it’s also much harder to cut . 

It was me that mentioned aircraft grade aluminium it is a lot stronger than normal stuff   , we used to use it in some applications when I was in the motor trade , and I still have a full set of omnipole gutter poles made of it , heavy by today’s carbon ones .and it feels totally different to normal aluminium just by handling it , it’s also much harder to cut . 
Unusual to get poles extruded out of this grade of aluminium. The old scaffold poles are 6082 but the thinner scaffold towers are made from a 5000 series I believe. If you think the outside skin of an aeroplane is thinner than the cover of a hardback book you will appreciate how hard it has to be. 

I meant when people (manufacturer’s) generally mention ‘aircraft grade’ aluminium. Aluminium is Aluminium. And every spec is used and it’s equally as rubbish as the rest. Having worked with it for two decades the only aircraft ‘grade’ aluminium that lasts is anodised!!!

I meant when people (manufacturer’s) generally mention ‘aircraft grade’ aluminium. Aluminium is Aluminium. And every spec is used and it’s equally as rubbish as the rest. Having worked with it for two decades the only aircraft ‘grade’ aluminium that lasts is anodised!!!
Aluminium loves oxygen so without a protective coat, paint, anodized etc it will very quickly lose its sheen. One of the biggest uses of aluminium is to de oxidise, remove the oxygen, from steel during production.

Back