My window cleaner has stopped trading!

This has now happened twice in my area. A window cleaner has decided to close his/her window cleaning business - yes just close, stop, give up! Not even thought of selling the customer base off to another window cleaning company; are people stupid! When people phone up asking for your services as their window cleaner has decided to just stop, doesn't it make you think - what in earth were they thinking? I'm interested to see how many others out there have experienced this?

John

Gleam Clean

Tamar Valley

Cornwall

I picked up a customer last year who said her window cleaner had packed up after his van broke down and he couldn’t afford another one. 

‘Great’ I thought. We are saturated with window cleaners, it’s 1 less competitor. A few weeks later I saw his van drive right past me. Turns out, he’s just binned her off. From my own dealings with her it’s because she expects you there 6 weeks to the day of your last visit. I’ve no qualms with that. 

I’ve seen a lot of people start up, as yet, I’ve not known of any to stop. Certainly, not any that were prominent enough for me to register them as new window cleaners. 

scottish cleaning service
4 minutes ago, ksp said:

I’ve seen a lot of people start up, as yet, I’ve not known of any to stop. Certainly, not any that were prominent enough for me to register them as new window cleaners. 

What I'm hearing now is regarding reliability. Three window cleaners I know are upsetting their customers because they have become unreliable. One is on the sauce but the other two have too much work to handle. I always say, too much work is worse than too little because all you end up doing is upsetting everyone by becoming unreliable. 😉 

10 minutes ago, ksp said:

I picked up a customer last year who said her window cleaner had packed up after his van broke down and he couldn’t afford another one. 

‘Great’ I thought. We are saturated with window cleaners, it’s 1 less competitor. A few weeks later I saw his van drive right past me. Turns out, he’s just binned her off. From my own dealings with her it’s because she expects you there 6 weeks to the day of your last visit. I’ve no qualms with that. 

If I need to bin a customer I will let them know, and the reason why. Obviously in the politest way possible.........😆

26 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

What I'm hearing now is regarding reliability. Three window cleaners I know are upsetting their customers because they have become unreliable. One is on the sauce but the other two have too much work to handle. I always say, too much work is worse than too little because all you end up doing is upsetting everyone by becoming unreliable. 😉 

You’re on to something there. I try to be as reliable as possible, I always tell people thought at the first clean that if I ever go on holiday, or things get in the way, I could be up to a couple of weeks late but will always text them the day before the clean. 

With increased competition there’s always someone to take your place. Someone rang me about a clean a couple of months ago. I was working so didn’t answer but replied within an hour, after I’d finished the clean I was on.

She said thanks but someone had turned up to give a quote, she accepted and he was in the process of the first clean. When you’re starting up, you’ve few customers so you can do things like drive out to give a quote and proceed to cleaning immediately. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
scottish cleaning service
58 minutes ago, ksp said:

You’re on to something there. I try to be as reliable as possible, I always tell people thought at the first clean that if I ever go on holiday, or things get in the way, I could be up to a couple of weeks late but will always text them the day before the clean. 

The opposite is also true. I have an old guy asking me for a quote regarding a small job he wants me to do. Called him up and gave him the quote and heard nothing for two weeks. When he called me back I asked him how it has taken two weeks and he said he has been busy. Him and his wife are retired. I know he has called around to try and get some one else to do it cheaper. Next time he calls I will reply sorry I'm too busy now, bye. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
brianbadonde

Had this a bit lately. People I know of that were, incidentally, good at their job, just pack up and get another job. No selling the work or even letting their customers know! Crazy, as a couple of guys I know of actually paid good money in buying the work in the first place! The customers I picked up from these guys have turned out to be good customers too so it doesn’t appear to be the case that they have been dropped due to being “dead wood”.

Funny, as you get this from time to time, just as you get new start ups. It all evens out.

The truth is nobody owns your work including yourself...its all goodwill......

Most window cleaners who give up without selling their work is usually due to not being able to sell the work,illness or death.......

I have an SLX 30. Anyone know what extension i would need to make it abit longer. Got some 4 storey jobs. Booked in next week. 

46 minutes ago, Bongofish said:

I have an SLX 30. Anyone know what extension i would need to make it abit longer. Got some 4 storey jobs. Booked in next week. 

Email Gardiner, they are usually quick to respond.

I picked up some work a year or two that backed onto my round, the window cleaner who had been doing them for years had just packed in and walked away when I was approached and started giving quotes it became abundantly clear why, he was charging a four quid for a  large 3 bed semi, I had to explain and be realistic about pricing, some understood and have become good customers others just didn't get it and remain uncleaned.

The vagaries of window cleaning.