Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

RO prefilter order

I have 3  prefilters. I thought the GAC was good at removing chlorine? 

I've been googling it but found conflicting info. I'm thinking it was sed - block - GAC but not 100% sure. Not even sure if it makes any difference.. 
GAC is an extra carbon filter, but I always thought it was to improve the taste of drinking water 

GAC is an extra carbon filter, but I always thought it was to improve the taste of drinking water 
It also removes a small amount of chlorine but has a relatively short service life. You're right, we only 2 filters and the GAC filter does help to make the water taste better which we don't need for window cleaning.

At one time they recommended a GAC filter in place of a carbon block. I still have a 20" GAC filter stored away but it only has a service life of 6000 liters.

It also removes a small amount of chlorine but has a relatively short service life. You're right, we only 2 filters and the GAC filter does help to make the water taste better which we don't need for window cleaning.

At one time they recommended a GAC filter in place of a carbon block. I still have a 20" GAC filter stored away but it only has a service life of 6000 liters.
Thanks. As my system has 3 spaces for pre filters, am I better swapping the GAC for something else? 

For instance 2 sediment and 1 Carbon, 1 sediment and 2 Carbon, or 1 sediment 1 carbon and leave the 3rd empty? 

Thanks. As my system has 3 spaces for pre filters, am I better swapping the GAC for something else? 

For instance 2 sediment and 1 Carbon, 1 sediment and 2 Carbon, or 1 sediment 1 carbon and leave the 3rd empty? 
I'm always going to advise 1 sediment and then 1 Fiberdyne carbon block and leave the last chamber empty.

I follow the pattern of the first r/o I purchased which had a clear bowl as the sediment filter. For me it was a quick visual way to monitor it.

Tell my wife that ?
You and me both. When we were on holiday in Spain 2 years ago my daughter in law bought me a tee shirt. On it is printed:

"I don't need Google, my wife knows everything."

I thought there was going to be trouble when dil gave it to me but the wife sometimes encourages me to wear it. It seems to do her ego good. ?

You and me both. When we were on holiday in Spain 2 years ago my daughter in law bought me a tee shirt. On it is printed:

"I don't need Google, my wife knows everything."

I thought there was going to be trouble when dil gave it to me but the wife sometimes encourages me to wear it. It seems to do her ego good. ?
 ? My wife's ego is just fine, too good sometimes she need reigning in ?

I'm always going to advise 1 sediment and then 1 Fiberdyne carbon block and leave the last chamber empty.

I follow the pattern of the first r/o I purchased which had a clear bowl as the sediment filter. For me it was a quick visual way to monitor it.
Last question.. 

What's the benefit of a fiberdyne filter over a typical carbon block filter? Have they a longer service life? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Last question.. 

What's the benefit of a fiberdyne filter over a typical carbon block filter? Have they a longer service life? 
They have a longer service life.

Some carbon block filters have a 6000 liter service life and some others have a 12,000 liter service life. My Fiberdyne 20" has a 75600 liter service life. (Service life is waste plus pure.) Yes, they are more expensive but changing prefilters isn't one of my favourite past-times.

I appreciate we head back to this conundrum of how much chlorine is in our tap water. @doug atkinson has said that several test showed none or very little on tests done. We just don't know so sticking to the service life recommended by the manufacturers has worked well for me.

Latest Posts

Back