Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New Gardiner Extreme Pole.....Pre-use prep??

Robt100

Hi all,

I've just bought a new Extreme 18 pole (hooray!) and will be starting to use it next week. Next job is to fit the hoseless and univalve over the weekend.
I've watched a few of the maintainence videos for the extreme that mention giving it a coat of PTFE spray periodically, (bought a can from gardiners whilst getting the pole). But even as new, the pole feels slightly stiff at extending/closing. Is it worth giving everything a coat of the PTFE spray now before it is used?? Or would it have been 'pre-lubed' back at the time of manafacture/sale?

If someone can give me some pointers it'd be appreciated, I dont want to damage my investment from the off!

Hi all,

I've just bought a new Extreme 18 pole (hooray!) and will be starting to use it next week. Next job is to fit the hoseless and univalve over the weekend.
I've watched a few of the maintainence videos for the extreme that mention giving it a coat of PTFE spray periodically, (bought a can from gardiners whilst getting the pole). But even as new, the pole feels slightly stiff at extending/closing. Is it worth giving everything a coat of the PTFE spray now before it is used?? Or would it have been 'pre-lubed' back at the time of manafacture/sale?

If someone can give me some pointers it'd be appreciated, I dont want to damage my investment from the off!
Hi Robt100

New poles can be slightly stiff from fresh, but should ease off with a few uses.

Of course giving it a pre-treat with dry-film PTFE is always a good idea, especially as it is an Xtreme pole which needs much greater care.

To take the sections apart (on an Xtreme it is a different overlap structure) you will need to remove the lever sets from each clamp body and use a widget or lever to fully open the jaws to allow the section out. Ensure when doing this and refitting that the overlap tape is not snagged.

Then spray the overlap area thoroughly with PTFE and allow to flash dry before putting back to together.

It is ideal with an Xtreme if this is done weekly and the tape is checked each time. The overlap area tape should be renewed when worn or snagged and should be 'one and a quarter' of a wrap on the base and a maximum of 'one and a half' of a wrap on the upper wrap.

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
When I strip down my Xtreme, which is much more frequent in winter, (prob twice weekly due to more grit finding it’s way into the pole) I use a small glass cleaning microfibre and push it through the pole with a long 8mm dowel (DIY store purchase). I find this very effective at cleaning the inside of each section. I also replace the stop tape if it has any grit embedded in it.

I have 5yr old SLX25 in excellent condition but it has become annoyingly stiff to use. I think the problem in my case is it sees little use and has been stored with the clamps in the tight position which I think has caused them to stay slightly clamped even when released. 

When I strip down my Xtreme, which is much more frequent in winter, (prob twice weekly due to more grit finding it’s way into the pole) I use a small glass cleaning microfibre and push it through the pole with a long 8mm dowel (DIY store purchase). I find this very effective at cleaning the inside of each section. I also replace the stop tape if it has any grit embedded in it.

I have 5yr old SLX25 in excellent condition but it has become annoyingly stiff to use. I think the problem in my case is it sees little use and has been stored with the clamps in the tight position which I think has caused them to stay slightly clamped even when released. 
Cleaning the sections as you do is excellent practice and will keep the pole in the best possible working order.

SLX25 - It may be that long term storage with clamps tightly closed has set them in the closed position as you suggest. It may be possible to reset these. If you separate the sections and remove the lever sets completely, heat up the clamp jaws on each clamp either with a hair dryer on maximum or a hot air gun briefly (making sure not to melt the plastic). When the plastic is hot, then wedge open the jaws with something and allow to cool. Once cooled refit the sections and assemble the lever sets back on.

I wash my extremes through with a large bottle of water at the end of each day.

I strip them them down and spray them about every six weeks.

Can’t believe people do this every weekend, weekends are for living! 

Pub time, have a great weekend fellow windies ??‍??

Right, took it apart and fitted univalve and hoseless system today. And have hit a snag. As @Alex Gardiner said, I used a lever to gently keep the clamps open to release the pole, but it snagged/tore the yellow marker tape a little, no problem though, got some to replace. So did that. But on putting the pole back together I cant seem to open up the clamps far enough to stop it from peeling the tape off on entry?. I dont want to use any more force, and just wonder if Im doing something I shouldn't? Cant find any videos online on what to do or in detail at that point, so flying blind at the moment which I don't enjoy when its something fragile and expensive! Any pointers from anyone who has had the same problem would be appreciated.

I find that can happen sometimes, make sure all the edges of the tape are well stuck down , I go over the section with mentholated spirits first to make  sure there is no remains of the ptfe silicone spray as this will stop the tape from sticking properly causing the issues you  have mentioned , it’s something that comes with experience of doing it a few times , just ease the taped kart through the clamp housing I generally stick a screwdriver in between the two parts of the clamp after removing the lever holding it open a bit wider , just make sure you don’t loose the shim and spring when taking the lever off .

Thanks @Pjj It is quite odd as the rest go in fine its just the top section. Used a screwdriver as you say and it still caught. So got a bigger screwdriver and put the pole in with a twist and it seems to have worked?

On a side note, I just weighed the extreme 18 'fully dressed' with pole, tubeless and univalve, gooseneck and extreme flocked sill brush plus the super scraper......
1145g
and 980g without the brush, I must have a few extra bristles in mine?

Don’t know if this will make sense Rob but I’ll try. I have two Xtremes and both are exactly as you describe, difficult to remove and replace section one. If you have the Gardiner widget you’ll find it easier to spread the clamps. After slackening the levers, you only need to insert the wedge tool to remove the lower sections but the top section I also have to twist it to open the clamp a little further. However, as you describe the tape can still get caught. Coming out isn’t a problem as you just have to replace it. However, you don’t want it getting caught going in as if it tears or crumples it can cause the pole to jam or become tight to operate. 

Tip: When you feed the section back in, make sure that the small overlapped section of tape is facing away from the jaws of the clamp. In other words, make sure that only one layer of tape passes the jaws. This has helped me anyway. If you study the clamp body inside with a torch you will see why this helps.

Personally I don’t use dry PTFE spray as I have to honest I don’t find it helps. I just make sure my pole stays clean ( I’m not saying you shouldn’t use it )

Don’t know if this will make sense Rob but I’ll try. I have two Xtremes and both are exactly as you describe, difficult to remove and replace section one. If you have the Gardiner widget you’ll find it easier to spread the clamps. After slackening the levers, you only need to insert the wedge tool to remove the lower sections but the top section I also have to twist it to open the clamp a little further. However, as you describe the tape can still get caught. Coming out isn’t a problem as you just have to replace it. However, you don’t want it getting caught going in as if it tears or crumples it can cause the pole to jam or become tight to operate. 

Tip: When you feed the section back in, make sure that the small overlapped section of tape is facing away from the jaws of the clamp. In other words, make sure that only one layer of tape passes the jaws. This has helped me anyway. If you study the clamp body inside with a torch you will see why this helps.

Personally I don’t use dry PTFE spray as I have to honest I don’t find it helps. I just make sure my pole stays clean ( I’m not saying you shouldn’t use it )
When I saw the widget thingy on the Gardiners website, I thought it looked a gimmick and a waste of money. But for the sake of a few quid I’d get one.

Well I was wrong. When taking the poles apart that widget thingy really helps ?‍?

I tried the widget, but didnt seem to help me, but I could just be doing it wrong! If anyone has a photo/video to show how it'd be much appreciated for future reference!

EDIT: Just found the video on the gardiner website?
Looking at how much that opens the clamps, it wouldnt have worked for section 1 anyway, I really had to prise it open!

I tried the widget, but didnt seem to help me, but I could just be doing it wrong! If anyone has a photo/video to show how it'd be much appreciated for future reference!

EDIT: Just found the video on the gardiner website?
Looking at how much that opens the clamps, it wouldnt have worked for section 1 anyway, I really had to prise it open!
Insert the wedge tool and then twist it for section #1. This will open the jaws further.

When I do this I usually hold the larger section between my knees so the clamp is in front of me, and support section #1 on a chair or something to keep it straight as I gently ease it out. It’s imperative to keep the two sections straight whilst doing this and when reassembling. 

20200727_225837.jpg

20200727_225839.jpg

Thanks @Marko067 good to know I can also give it a twist, I think the stopper for the hoseless kit needs a bit more electrical tape round it (seems to be much smaller than my last one, which I had to file down!) so I have to take it all apart again anyway, so I can get some practice in?

Right, took it apart for the 4th time as the univalve felt like it was sticky turning off, but the bung seems to be in tight enough?.
But the yellow tape was destroyed like last time! Tried fitting in the widget and it seems as though the front part of the clamp isnt the problem, its the tolerance between the two carbon sections that it catches on, not really sure how to fix that, dont fancy filing/sanding down a brand new pole!

Right, took it apart for the 4th time as the univalve felt like it was sticky turning off, but the bung seems to be in tight enough?.
But the yellow tape was destroyed like last time! Tried fitting in the widget and it seems as though the front part of the clamp isnt the problem, its the tolerance between the two carbon sections that it catches on, not really sure how to fix that, dont fancy filing/sanding down a brand new pole!
Try tagging @Alex Gardiner in maybe he can offer some advice . 

Hi all,

Install rubber o rings or insulation tape on the closed pole sections.

Regular cleaning and preventative maintenance is key 

I've done it!!!!

A good scrub of the internal side of the clamp with some alcohol rub and a microfibre seemed to clean it up quite well, im guessing there was some sticky residue from the old tape causing the issue. Did that then a nice firm coating of PTFE spray on the inside of the clip (as per maintainence directions) and a coating on the overlap section. A little bit of careful twisting and wiggling later she dropped straight in. I also used 1 and 1/4 ish turns of tape rather than 1 and 1/2.
Now time to get cleaning?

Thanks for all the help and tips guys!

You'll have it down to a fine art when you've done it few times. Even now I occasionally have to re-tape the #1 section after messing it up at the first attempt of reinserting it.

I've done it!!!!

A good scrub of the internal side of the clamp with some alcohol rub and a microfibre seemed to clean it up quite well, im guessing there was some sticky residue from the old tape causing the issue. Did that then a nice firm coating of PTFE spray on the inside of the clip (as per maintainence directions) and a coating on the overlap section. A little bit of careful twisting and wiggling later she dropped straight in. I also used 1 and 1/4 ish turns of tape rather than 1 and 1/2.
Now time to get cleaning?

Thanks for all the help and tips guys!
do not use alcohol to clean poles 

They are manufactured and bonded using epoxy and alcohol over time will break down the sealing lacquer and bonding substrate weakening and stripping the poles coatings 

I fitted the wfp hose as far up the univalve as I could and it interfered with the on off function. Trimmed a bit off with a stanley knife and it's working fine now.

Back