Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Worth Going RO Now? Benefits or Downside

Master Jedi Alejandro

Premium Member
Hello all,

About to order and get a tank fitted and trying to decide if I should get a RO fitted at the extra cost. The cost isn't my concern, its fill up time. I'm in Scotland with a PPM of 70 (high for my area, my customers get 25ppm!) and so RO isn't strictly needed, but if I decided to move on somewhere with harder water it may be required. However, because we don't have water meters I top up from customers taps when required. But my understanding is RO takes a lot longer to fill a tank. I just wanted to find out if this was the case or if on the job top ups can still be done? I know a few on here have RO static systems and then just polish onboard, which would also be a option if I moved somewhere with harder water.  Also, any other downsides or benefits to RO I'm missing? I've never really paid much attention to it as I've not needed it.

Thank you all!

I'll add also, my current DIY system is DI after tank, but the new system will be DI before. Not sure if this will also make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a nutshell the cost savings year on year will save you £1,000's at a tap tds of 70ppm a basic R/O for around £200 will serve you well. 

In a nutshell the cost savings year on year will save you £1,000's at a tap tds of 70ppm a basic R/O for around £200 will serve you well. 
Hey mate. Yeah I appreciate that, cost isn't the issue I'm happy to spend the extra, its the fill up time that's my biggest concern, if I can plug in at customers if needed? I'll be getting the biggest tank for my payload, I just like having that option. How long does a RO take? My understanding is I need a good pressure otherwise the membranes get damaged also? The system I'm looking at comes with a pressure gage if I get the RO, but don't really understand much beyond that.

I'll add also, my current DIY system is DI after tank, but the new system will be DI before. Not sure if this will also make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 650l tank used to take 4hrs to fill up. After the annual service I think its 3hrs now but I have great pressure where I live. Your tds will be the same as mine which is around 70 so we are in the middle but our water is free. That's why I went for RO which takes it down to 002 so resin gets changed once a year and saves you time.

Hey mate. Yeah I appreciate that, cost isn't the issue I'm happy to spend the extra, its the fill up time that's my biggest concern, if I can plug in at customers if needed? I'll be getting the biggest tank for my payload, I just like having that option. How long does a RO take? My understanding is I need a good pressure otherwise the membranes get damaged also? The system I'm looking at comes with a pressure gage if I get the RO, but don't really understand much beyond that.

It will depend on water pressure, you won't be able to top up your tank at a cutsys house with an R/O a standard R/O will produce around 1-2 litres a minute, a 40/40 will produce a great deal faster it really depends how fast you need to produce water, my R/O is like in the pic below which I bought from Daqua and it's more than good enough for a soft water area. 

If you set up a full static system at home with a ibc then transfer pure into your van tank each morning or evening then production time won't be an issue and you could just keep a DI in your van for an emergency top up at custys house, my tap tds is currently 79ppm and my R/O gets mine down to 001ppm which is good enough for me so I don't use a DI after as it's pointless 

rosystem.jpg

Van mounted R/O's are more expensive and you're always carrying extra weight. If you have the room to store a tank and produce at home then that's the best way to be. It would probably be quicker to drive home and fill up then fill with van mounted system. You will do well to produce more than 200l's an hour with van mount.

It will depend on water pressure, you won't be able to top up your tank at a cutsys house with an R/O a standard R/O will produce around 1-2 litres a minute, a 40/40 will produce a great deal faster it really depends how fast you need to produce water, my R/O is like in the pic below which I bought from Daqua and it's more than good enough for a soft water area. 

If you set up a full static system at home with a ibc then transfer pure into your van tank each morning or evening then production time won't be an issue and you could just keep a DI in your van for an emergency top up at custys house, my tap tds is currently 79ppm and my R/O gets mine down to 001ppm which is good enough for me so I don't use a DI after as it's pointless 

View attachment 21465
So I've checked and it is a 40/40 RO. That means nothing to me so didn't realise it was a advantage. So do they allow a quicker top up then?

To be honest, I wouldn't be considering RO but it's not a massive amount more to have it added to the system so considering it to future proof myself!

So I've checked and it is a 40/40 RO. That means nothing to me so didn't realise it was a advantage. So do they allow a quicker top up then?

To be honest, I wouldn't be considering RO but it's not a massive amount more to have it added to the system so considering it to future proof myself!
Way faster top up not sure how fast maybe 6ltrs a minute, all depends if you want or need an onboard R/O and if water pressure is low where you are or could be working then if you need a booster pump you will need electrics in your van to power the booster pump,

we had for years decent water pressure but since pipe mains water pipes were upgraded by the waterboard last year or water pressure fluctuates throughout the day sometimes down to almost a trickle this is something you can't foresee and why a static system could be better, but this will depend if you can house an ibc and have good parking to transfer water and or to fill if went for an onboard system, the closest I can get to my static tank is 30m so static is best for me. 

Water quality is poor in the area even though ppm is around 80. When testing R/O systems I’m having to change Sediment Filters after around 700 litres. Sediment in the water is very bad.

for convenience alone its worth sticking to DI only for me...my tap tds is 024....it takes me 30 mins each day to purify my water for my next days work......

its not all about the money saved compared to investing in an  RO........for an easier life you cant beat DI only......im on a water meter and dont have the space for an RO(either in my van or at home)...also you still have running costs with an RO...filters and membranes to buy etc......plus all that waste water......

for convenience alone its worth sticking to DI only for me...my tap tds is 024....it takes me 30 mins each day to purify my water for my next days work......

its not all about the money saved compared to investing in an  RO........for an easier life you cant beat DI only......im on a water meter and dont have the space for an RO(either in my van or at home)...also you still have running costs with an RO...filters and membranes to buy etc......plus all that waste water......
Its a no brainer with a tds of 24 but with over 100 then RO is best. It comes down to many factors, tds, water charges, space (van & garage) water pressure, time you will save and money. Usually if you look to someone near you who has been going 5yrs then they have came across all the hurdles.

Latest Posts

Back