Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Unger s plus problems

Dyl Wimbledon

Hi lads, 

After months of experimenting with different squeegees, I bought the unger S plus and decided it was the best for me personally. 

That was untill today, I noticed I was leaving smears that was hard to spot unless you really concentrated whilst looking or you had direct sunlight on the glass. 

I used unger soft, moerman and ettore rubber and I still had the problem. Not all the time though. Which was more frustrating 

I changed my technique from fanning to straight pulls, it improved but still wasn't as it should be. 

I finished the day using my bayersan squeegee with a unger soft rubber and the glass was cleaning good. 

Can anyone tell me what the problem would be? 

I'm gutted as I thought the S plus is the best squeegee I have tried. 

Thanks ?

Look along the edge to see if it has become convexed. I have a few liquidators with the contour pro plus handle and every so often I have to bend the blade back into shape or it leaves smears. ? 

Hi lads, 

After months of experimenting with different squeegees, I bought the unger S plus and decided it was the best for me personally. 

That was untill today, I noticed I was leaving smears that was hard to spot unless you really concentrated whilst looking or you had direct sunlight on the glass. 

I used unger soft, moerman and ettore rubber and I still had the problem. Not all the time though. Which was more frustrating 

I changed my technique from fanning to straight pulls, it improved but still wasn't as it should be. 

I finished the day using my bayersan squeegee with a unger soft rubber and the glass was cleaning good. 

Thanks ?
I use Splus channels daily and have never had any problems.

Weather Water warmth and soap are the 4 main areas to deduct and fault find your problems. 

How much rubber stick out do you have?

Are you in a hard water area? 

There are many chaps now trying premium grade dishwasher rinse aid to aid better finishes but i personally think this hides the unresolved issue at hand 

I had another look at my squeegee last night and I am hoping I have found the problem. 

Ive been using the ergotec handle, could this be what's causing the fault? 

Muscle memory comes into play if you don’t allow for the different angles of various handles e.g. ergotec is 30° contour pro is 40°. Remember the important angle is always the angle of blade to glass and there can even be slight variations in angle where the channel is clamped by the handle, even with handles of the same stated angle. When trying a new handle dial in the ‘attack angle‘ by testing with a few straight pulls. You’ll find that your hand/wrist may need to ‘reset’ to maintain optimum water removal.

Hi lads, 

Thanks ?
Could be just your rubber...when you changed it for another piece, that piece may of been "below par" too!. So you start questioning yourself and your technique, or your tools, your detergent etc. The Unger Splus has been working fine for you, and unless you have dropped the channel and bent it or got some dirt in the channel it is probably good old rubber.

It could just be the fact you are using the ?s plus channel with their uneven bent ends and bad tolerances.

Dogear your own unger channel or use a liquidator .

Back