Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Should I grass?

Bongofish

Hey all.

So in my area there is two lads going around walking the streets with a bucket and a ladder. I was working on the same street as them today and when getting my stuff out the van I heard the shouting to eachother how there running behind because they had to do there 2 weekly sign on at job centre.

Now I am the least person to ever grass, but these lads actually get alot of work I. My area and under charge by ridiculous amounts. A £10 house to me is a £4 house to them. 

It's starting to annoy me as a guy who has done everything I can to set up a legit business and register with HMRC and there doing this along with claiming from the government. 

My flow of customers does still seem to be coming in well, so it's not like at the moment I'm struggling , but these guys have the best houses in my village as they can only do the 2 storey stuff. So I get alot of the 3 storey stuff or houses with extensions they can't reach. 

What would you guys do?

Bongofish

Hey all.

So in my area there is two lads going around walking the streets with a bucket and a ladder. I was working on the same street as them today and when getting my stuff out the van I heard the shouting to eachother how there running behind because they had to do there 2 weekly sign on at job centre.

Now I am the least person to ever grass, but these lads actually get alot of work I. My area and under charge by ridiculous amounts. A £10 house to me is a £4 house to them. 

It's starting to annoy me as a guy who has done everything I can to set up a legit business and register with HMRC and there doing this along with claiming from the government. 

My flow of customers does still seem to be coming in well, so it's not like at the moment I'm struggling , but these guys have the best houses in my village as they can only do the 2 storey stuff. So I get alot of the 3 storey stuff or houses with extensions they can't reach. 

What would you guys do?

Bongofish
Report it , they will, want photos or video  evidence if possible ,and any names and addresses people like that deserve all they get 

Hey all.

What would you guys do?

Bongofish
Wouldn't go near it, their customers probably wouldn't pay you a tenner to do their windows anyway and they will be replaced by someone else on the fiddle even if they got caught. Trouble might be that they might go half legit and buy some equipment and then compete with you, then you'll have cheap competition.

I'm 99.99% certain the local trad guy that has 4 or 5 lads working for him has them working 16 hours a week and pays them the rest in cash. You're doing well so why worry what others are doing, they'll probably come a cropper sooner or later.

Hey all.

What would you guys do?

Bongofish
report them

Which street they are on with a decent description of them

Let DWP do the leg work and covert ops 

Its not up to you to put yourself at risk or be their eyes and ears 

You will probbably find if he is charging £4 per house, he needs to be claiming DWP money to make up the shortfall. 

And there is a certain amount of cash the DWP will turn a blind eye to, especially if he has established himself as a casual worker and he hasn't hidden that from them.

There are no rules on minimum pricing, it's not illegal to charge an overly low price in a particular industry, otherwise  that would be a dictatorship and we don't live in China(yet).

For example, you could do everyone's windows for free, no charge and have to claim as you'd have no income, you'd be busy of course and get all the work.

The DWP will want bank statements from him, they will check him anyway as a claimant, in fact at £4 per house, the DWP probbably give him money to top up his earnings and encourage him to keep going as it is. You don't know if he has a medical condition, is listed as vulnerable, or a recovering alcoholic, there are all sorts of reasons why people claim benefits, you don't know his life circumstances.

I wouldn't get involved keep your nose out, the DWP have robust checks in place and the chances are even if he is claiming more than he should or whatever, they will deal with it in time.

Focus on your own business, you never know one day you might find yourself in the same position out of no fault of your own and some busy body sticks their nose into your business..  

Mind your own business........whatever they do has nothing to do with you.......these guys are no threat.....just keep building your round......you'll find you ll be picking up some of their work at much better prices over time(years later)if you have YOUR OWN HOUSE IN ORDER.......they wont last......you will if your professional and take your business seriously.....

It's a personal choice if you decide to or not if can give up there names and addresses then do so without putting yourself at any risk, people turning their heads and letting others commit crime isn't great for any of us or society on the whole

the DWP have robust checks in place and the chances are even if he is claiming more than he should or whatever, they will deal with it in time.
With respect if you believe that your delusional plenty of people haven't worked a proper days work in their life for years and claimed benefits and are doing a cash in hand job, there were people in the village I grew up in hadn't worked for 20-30 years and were getting paid benefits but had nowt wrong with them and most likely still doing the same. 

The thing is you dont know all their circumstances.......personally I'd just concentrate on my own business and providing a good,professional service at a fair price......if their using ladders this puts you at a massive advantage as you can do a much better, thorough job with WFP.....

It's a personal choice if you decide to or not if can give up there names and addresses then do so without putting yourself at any risk, people turning their heads and letting others commit crime isn't great for any of us or society on the whole

With respect if you believe that your delusional plenty of people haven't worked a proper days work in their life for years and claimed benefits and are doing a cash in hand job, there were people in the village I grew up in hadn't worked for 20-30 years and were getting paid benefits but had nowt wrong with them and most likely still doing the same. 
I'm not saying that people don't abuse the system. Personally I wouldn't stick my nose in. 

Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not worth the hassle, if they found it it was you they might cause damage to your stuff or nick it. They might even be on here, you detailed where you live.

I picked up my first fortnightly grass cutting service today. The other guy blew the leaves under a bush and the old couple were watching him. It was okay till the wind blew them back out later that day. ?

Mind your own business........whatever they do has nothing to do with you.......these guys are no threat.....just keep building your round......you'll find you ll be picking up some of their work at much better prices over time(years later)if you have YOUR OWN HOUSE IN ORDER.......they wont last......you will if your professional and take your business seriously.....
That’s nonsense saying it’s none of his business. Anyone who pays tax is paying into government which pays benefits. So strictly speaking it’s every tax payers business 

Hey all.

What would you guys do?

Bongofish
So Bongofish with all the advice you have been given by us all what are you going to do?

Back