Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window Cleaner Van Insurance

P4dstar

Premium Member
My insurance is out this week and my current insurer wanted to put the price up ? Called around to A-Plan and Alexander Swan. Both of them wanted around £700 after finding out I have a fitted, crash tested system from Grippa. The price if I just strapped a tank in... £276. Before anyone asks yes they confirmed that price would be valid with a strapped tank.

I was about to pay A-Plan the £700 and go and have a little cry but I googled window cleaner van insurance. Google found a thread from last year where @Green Pro Clean Ltd mentioned calling Aviva and they undercut A-Plan by £300. Called them and they quoted me £340, the modification included and the underwriters have confirmed its all good. Thought I'd share incase it helps anyone else in future. Cracking advice Darren, thank you.

My insurance is out this week and my current insurer wanted to put the price up ? Called around to A-Plan and Alexander Swan. Both of them wanted around £700 after finding out I have a fitted, crash tested system from Grippa. The price if I just strapped a tank in... £276. Before anyone asks yes they confirmed that price would be valid with a strapped tank.

I was about to pay A-Plan the £700 and go and have a little cry but I googled window cleaner van insurance. Google found a thread from last year where @Green Pro Clean Ltd mentioned calling Aviva and they undercut A-Plan by £300. Called them and they quoted me £340, the modification included and the underwriters have confirmed its all good. Thought I'd share incase it helps anyone else in future. Cracking advice Darren, thank you.
My vans are insured with Alexander swan and I pay around £350 per van and that’s with 1000 ltr systems and 650 ltr ones all are hot diesel fired ones as well , maybe it depends where in the country you are ?... , my premiums haven’t gone up more than about £25 in over 6 years  

My vans are insured with Alexander swan and I pay around £350 per van and that’s with 1000 ltr systems and 650 ltr ones all are hot diesel fired ones as well , maybe it depends where in the country you are ?... , my premiums haven’t gone up more than about £25 in over 6 years  
I have one offence (SP30) one at fault claim and two none fault claims. All from 2017. Also the vans a lease so I don't own it. I live in the cotswolds so our areas would be comparable when it comes to crime stats (I know its a lot more complex than that) If you're looking at £350 per van with a clean driving record I would assume Aviva would smash that down.

The only thing I found is Alexander Swan and A-Plan give the option to cover the system which you probably have included. Thats all well and good but they won't cover new for old. For my 6 month old 3.5k system they'd give me £1500.

I have one offence (SP30) one at fault claim and two none fault claims. All from 2017. Also the vans a lease so I don't own it. I live in the cotswolds so our areas would be comparable when it comes to crime stats (I know its a lot more complex than that) If you're looking at £350 per van with a clean driving record I would assume Aviva would smash that down.

The only thing I found is Alexander Swan and A-Plan give the option to cover the system which you probably have included. Thats all well and good but they won't cover new for old. For my 6 month old 3.5k system they'd give me £1500.
I have a new for old on my systems and also poles etc if stolen provided the van is locked and visible damage is done to get into them , my systems I have an agreed payout of 17 k per van just for  the system and I have that in writing as a new for old valuation , but I have had this in my policy’s for over 10 years maybe they don’t offer it to new customers?... I also pay £75 per year for a replacement van with hot system in it should my van be off the road , this has happened 3 times due to non fault accidents on my part and they were delivered within 24 hours from Bristol to me in Cornwall ,I think that was very good and very good value for  money . 

I have a new for old on my systems and also poles etc if stolen provided the van is locked and visible damage is done to get into them , my systems I have an agreed payout of 17 k per van just for  the system and I have that in writing as a new for old valuation , but I have had this in my policy’s for over 10 years maybe they don’t offer it to new customers?... I also pay £75 per year for a replacement van with hot system in it should my van be off the road , this has happened 3 times due to non fault accidents on my part and they were delivered within 24 hours from Bristol to me in Cornwall ,I think that was very good and very good value for  money . 
It's good value for what you need undoubtably. When you've got multiple vans etc your needs are a little different I reckon man.

@P4dstar nice to hear from you. Haven’t seen you much for a while. Hope you’re well.

Same happened to me. A - Plan are good but were a bit inconsistent with me.

I insured a brand new dispatch for 750.

year later renewed for a little less. At the same time as renewal I got a new Peugeot expert. Same van as dispatch bar the badge. They quoted me around 1000 and said because its a year newer than the dispatch so should cost more.

explained that when the dispatch was brand new the price was 750 but they didn’t seem to I acknowledge my logic or explain further.

I will be trying them for a fleet policy but if not I will keep with Aviva or elsewhere.

Their service is good and they do have the bonus of being able to offer a wfp fitted van but for us it’s not too important as we can get by with a van off the road and two people per a van for a while.

@P4dstar guess who's back, back again ? I am with Admiral fully declared tank and fully confirmed on my policy documents I pay £360 I think it is, Aviva wanted about £1,200 when I phone them up about 2 years ago

Insurance is such a stupid thing. I know that back home a couple of lads lived on Prescot road, one has a WA postcode the other goes to L36. They lived less than 100m apart but the L36 postcode was literally double (They tried the same driver and same car). I'm really glad I came across Darrens comment, it may not be helpful to everyone but as a single driver on a single van it just saved me a fortune. Admiral were next on my list but to be honest I just snapped her arm off when she said £340. 

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge! I am new to this and have a Nissan Navara D40. It helps as I can use it as a family car (I have 3 very young boys) and can use it for work too.

Anyone have any idea of a reasonable price to insure this in Hertfordshire? No points on licence, strapped in tank. Not necessarily looking for contents insurance.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge! I am new to this and have a Nissan Navara D40. It helps as I can use it as a family car (I have 3 very young boys) and can use it for work too.

Anyone have any idea of a reasonable price to insure this in Hertfordshire? No points on licence, strapped in tank. Not necessarily looking for contents insurance.

Cheers,

Andy
Insurance varies so much man, best to just ring around. The van insurer is a really good comparison website, usually smashes GoCompare and that out of the water. If the tank is strapped in its not necessarily a modification. I would personally call up the place with the best quote and just tell them the vehicle will be used for work purposes, to carry your tools and your water and see what they say. Don't make a big deal out of it but at the same time tell them the truth. Lots of pick up trucks are used to carry water, I see farmers with IBC tanks on all the time. I think its more about load security.

One thing I would say is consider getting a fitted system. There are plenty of videos showing what happens in a collision with a water tank in the back. Not to put to fine a point on it but if the tank comes forward and your kids are in the back of the truck it could kill them. In a van it would essentially take you through the engine bay, in a pick up I imagine it would crush the back seats.

Insurance varies so much man, best to just ring around. The van insurer is a really good comparison website, usually smashes GoCompare and that out of the water. If the tank is strapped in its not necessarily a modification. I would personally call up the place with the best quote and just tell them the vehicle will be used for work purposes, to carry your tools and your water and see what they say. Don't make a big deal out of it but at the same time tell them the truth. Lots of pick up trucks are used to carry water, I see farmers with IBC tanks on all the time. I think its more about load security.

One thing I would say is consider getting a fitted system. There are plenty of videos showing what happens in a collision with a water tank in the back. Not to put to fine a point on it but if the tank comes forward and your kids are in the back of the truck it could kill them. In a van it would essentially take you through the engine bay, in a pick up I imagine it would crush the back seats.
Thanks mate, really appreciate your advice.

I foolishly hadn't actually considered the tank coming through into the cab during a crash! But I suppose at a kg a litre it weighs a lot! I have it ratcheted in via 4 different tethering cleats but I'm going to invest in some stronger straps for now and look at securing it a lot better.

I'm planning to invest in a Ford Transit nearer to Christmas if everything going to plan so I'll set that up with a van mounted tank.

Thanks for the advice!

Andy

I have it ratcheted in via 4 different tethering cleats but I'm going to invest in some stronger straps for now and look at securing it a lot better.
From what I can find out the cleats are normally only rated at about 200 kg if you are lucky! 

Also be aware that 'if the lashing was 85˚ to the horizontal, the force required to prevent the mass moving forward would need to be 11.5 x cargo mass.'  Comes from - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/857507/safety-loads-on-vehicles.pdf

As most tanks in vans are large they are generally close to the cleats and don't allow the optimum 60 degrees of strap. So a 250 liter tank could require straps and cleats capable of taking about 3000kg!!!!!

Think seriously about a decent tank frame and bolt through the floor to the chassis with spreader plates.

Thanks mate, really appreciate your advice.

I foolishly hadn't actually considered the tank coming through into the cab during a crash! But I suppose at a kg a litre it weighs a lot! I have it ratcheted in via 4 different tethering cleats but I'm going to invest in some stronger straps for now and look at securing it a lot better.

I'm planning to invest in a Ford Transit nearer to Christmas if everything going to plan so I'll set that up with a van mounted tank.
Get a local fabricator to build you a cage, or they sell them pre made for Wyedale tanks on eBay for circa £150. Not crash tested etc but whack your straps on too and it'll be a lot safer I reckon.

From what I can find out the cleats are normally only rated at about 200 kg if you are lucky! 

Also be aware that 'if the lashing was 85˚ to the horizontal, the force required to prevent the mass moving forward would need to be 11.5 x cargo mass.'  Comes from - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/857507/safety-loads-on-vehicles.pdf

As most tanks in vans are large they are generally close to the cleats and don't allow the optimum 60 degrees of strap. So a 250 liter tank could require straps and cleats capable of taking about 3000kg!!!!!

Think seriously about a decent tank frame and bolt through the floor to the chassis with spreader plates.
Thanks for taking the time to provide the link and calcs. Very kind of you!

I still can't believe how helpful and friendly people are on here, I provide other services as well as the new addition of window cleaning. My experience in these areas is the total opposite, people often try to stifle progress! So it is very refreshing!

Get a local fabricator to build you a cage, or they sell them pre made for Wyedale tanks on eBay for circa £150. Not crash tested etc but whack your straps on too and it'll be a lot safer I reckon.
We’ve just moved over to a fleet policy. When we did so we had to provide an engineer’s report for each van about the fitted tank. All were built and most fitted by Pure Freedom and were able to say crash tested. We just got PF to write a letter detailing each em invoice and that did. Might be a little more difficult if it’s a local fabricator. 

We’ve just moved over to a fleet policy. When we did so we had to provide an engineer’s report for each van about the fitted tank. All were built and most fitted by Pure Freedom and were able to say crash tested. We just got PF to write a letter detailing each em invoice and that did. Might be a little more difficult if it’s a local fabricator. 
Yes we are the same with our vans all our systems are ionics either 1000 ltr or 600ltr ones ionics emailed the crash test certificates when they were fitted and never had any problems with insurance .

Yes but you’re a few thousand pounds lighter per system ?
No not at all bought all but one second hand , and fitted by an ionics approved installation centre 10 miles from home , the last system was bought from a guy on the forum hear 600 ltr thermopure for  £800 absolute bargain . All the others I got off eBay mostly from new start ups that went bust within 6 months ??? I have started buying up ones if they are cheap re furb  them and sell them on , I quite enjoy doing it as almost a hobby .

Last edited by a moderator:
No not at all bought all but one second hand , and fitted by an ionics approved installation centre 10 miles from home , the last system was bought from a guy on the forum hear 600 ltr thermopure for  £800 absolute bargain . All the others I got off eBay mostly from new start ups that went bust within 6 months ??? I have started buying up ones if they are cheap re furb  them and sell them on , I quite enjoy doing it as almost a hobby .
Didn't realise Ionics would fit and certify a second hand one you buy privately (knew they sell 2nd hand systems). Whats the process, I assume they use new clamps? Do they also check them over?

Didn't realise Ionics would fit and certify a second hand one you buy privately (knew they sell 2nd hand systems). Whats the process, I assume they use new clamps? Do they also check them over?
I buy the systems re burb them myself most come with the clamps but when needed then the approved installer will supply clamps and bolts from ionics they will fit the system and then give me an a certificate stating its a crash tested system fitted by an approved fitting centre , the bolts are always replaced , the last system they fitted was only a couple of months ago two new clamps were needed and new spreader plates and bolts they also cut the holes in the floor for the air intake and exhaust for the thermopure  total cost was £185 , Ime more than happy with that . 

Latest Posts

Back