Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Small RO booster pump?

ched999uk

I think I must be missing something here but trying to find a small RO booster pump for a 200GPD system. There are quite a few kicking about on ebay that would do all be it with a duty cycle that means they cant run 24/7 but that's not really an issue. They are all 24v so need mains to step down to that which is a pain.

One thing that struck me was the standard Shurflo  pumps normally used for wfp are rated at 100psi 5L/m. Is that not enough to use as a booster for a small 200GPD system? Reason being it would be perfect for a van mount as they run on 12v. So I would just add an extra leisure battery then I don't need mains in the van at all?

What am I missing?

Are there any 12v suitable booster pumps available?

I think I must be missing something here but trying to find a small RO booster pump for a 200GPD system. There are quite a few kicking about on ebay that would do all be it with a duty cycle that means they cant run 24/7 but that's not really an issue. They are all 24v so need mains to step down to that which is a pain.

One thing that struck me was the standard Shurflo  pumps normally used for wfp are rated at 100psi 5L/m. Is that not enough to use as a booster for a small 200GPD system? Reason being it would be perfect for a van mount as they run on 12v. So I would just add an extra leisure battery then I don't need mains in the van at all?

What am I missing?

Good afternoon. It's always worth searching this site for the most common answers. We are all here to help and everyone before you has normally asked that same question.

What am I missing?

My advise is to buy what has been designed to do the job.

It does appear that the majority of designed booster pumps are 24v. Most of them also have a duty cycle in one form or another.

Good afternoon. It's always worth searching this site for the most common answers. We are all here to help and everyone before you has normally asked that same question.
Cheers. I had carried out a search but didn't come up with a 12v dc booster pump only 240vac or 24v!

I realise that 240vac ones are available, I was just trying to avoid 240vac in the van.

I watched a youtube video yesterday of a X-line fitted van that came with a 12v booster pump installed!! I have emailed X-Line but had no response nor can I find it listed on their site.

Video is here at about 3:30: 

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
My advise is to buy what has been designed to do the job.

It does appear that the majority of designed booster pumps are 24v. Most of them also have a duty cycle in one form or another.
I'm a techy person so like to understand things as I find that a better way to fix things when they go wrong. Duty cycle isn't an issue as I can build a timer if necessary. It's the stepping up of 12vdc to 24vdc at 10 amps that's the issue. 

I could use 2 x leisure batteries and some relays to get 24v for a booster and 12v when not using the booster but that complicates things and I was trying to keep it simple.  

No problem if there isn't a 12v booster pump, just thought I would ask.

Cheers.

I'm a techy person so like to understand things as I find that a better way to fix things when they go wrong. Duty cycle isn't an issue as I can build a timer if necessary. It's the stepping up of 12vdc to 24vdc at 10 amps that's the issue. 

I could use 2 x leisure batteries and some relays to get 24v for a booster and 12v when not using the booster but that complicates things and I was trying to keep it simple.  

No problem if there isn't a 12v booster pump, just thought I would ask.

Cheers.
Aquatec do a variety of booster pumps. The problem I would imagine is it's power draw from the battery. 10amps at 24v is 20 amps at 12v.

Shurflo use a pressure switch to cut the pump off when it reaches the pressure the switch is set to cut off at. As the pump delivers much more water than the r/o uses you will get a pump cycling on and off which will burn the micro switch out rather quickly.

I don't know how using a flow controller to slow the pump rate down would effect the heat the motor will generate. The only controller you could use is an analogue one if using a Shurflo pump as a booster operated with a timer switch.

From what I understand an Aquatec booster pump has an inbuilt pressure relief valve that sends over pressure back into the inlet port.

I also believe that they do have a duty cycle. One must switch the pump off for it to cool once the motor reaches 150 degrees. 150 degrees is very hot so it must be Farenheit. If it doesn't reach that temperature in operation then it has a continuous duty cycle.

One of the local lads uses an Aquatec on his 300gpd. It runs continuously when he is producing water.

I've been using a old Sureflo as a booster for years on my 300gpd unit. You can't run it uncontrolled as it is way too powerful. first time I tried that it blew out all the seals on the fre-filters.

I purchased a 12v dc 10amp power supply from ebay and a small PWM controller. I have a built in pressure gauge on my RO so I ran the pump as slow as it would go and gradually increased the flow till the pressure was where I wanted it to be, between 70-80 psi. It's not uncommon for it to be running for eight hours at a stretch with no problem at all. Pump body just gets warm to the touch. 

You have to remember that you can't force 5lpm through a small RO.  So if your pressure switch starts kicking in you’re trying to run it too fast. Dial it back till your pressure gauge (if you have one) is at the desired pressure and your pressure switch is not tripping. It's what has worked for me for years anyhow

Latest Posts

Back