Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

solar panel cleaning

mark2788

im a traditional window cleaner but been asked to quote cleaning solar panels, they are only on top of ground floor building so easy to get to, i dont currently have a brush but was thinking of getting a big boy backback system for this and then the odd gutter and conservatory roof jobs. Can i use this to clean them and would it matter if i used pure water? if i only have access to tap would it be a problem on solar panels? thanks for any help 

Hi, I've been asked to quote to clean a big house cottages and these have solar panels on, I'm thinking of getting a backpack to do this but need pure water in there, there's nowhere to buy pure water near me so need to make my own, I'm going to test the tds of my water but think it's hard, what's the cheapest way of getting pure water in my backpack, I'd only need 100ltrs roughly every now and then so don't want to spend alot on it, thanks for any feedback 

Hi, I've been asked to quote to clean a big house cottages and these have solar panels on, I'm thinking of getting a backpack to do this but need pure water in there, there's nowhere to buy pure water near me so need to make my own, I'm going to test the tds of my water but think it's hard, what's the cheapest way of getting pure water in my backpack, I'd only need 100ltrs roughly every now and then so don't want to spend alot on it, thanks for any feedback 
Find your nearest window cleaner or pet shop. Some pet shops which sell exotic fish use and produce pure water. Also your local window cleaner may be able to sell you some of at least guide you on the equipment you'd need. It also may help physically seeing the equipment for an idea of scale and size of whats required 

im a traditional window cleaner but been asked to quote cleaning solar panels, they are only on top of ground floor building so easy to get to, i dont currently have a brush but was thinking of getting a big boy backback system for this and then the odd gutter and conservatory roof jobs. Can i use this to clean them and would it matter if i used pure water? if i only have access to tap would it be a problem on solar panels? thanks for any help 
Pure water works better as its ultra pure and attracts dirt and repels it. 

Don't clean panel's at the hottest part of the day as you may cracked the glass with thermo shock due to the temperature of the water

When you say big boy back pack system, are you referring to buying a package deal including a brush? 

Don't clean panel's at the hottest part of the day as you may cracked the glass with thermo shock due to the temperature of the water

When you say big boy back pack system, are you referring to buying a package deal including a brush? 
Ok thanks just think if it's a job a couoke of times a year might just be ok to clean with tap water, ok that's good advice thank you, yes the deal on window cleaning warehouse includes pole and brush there's a more expensive one including a unger HydroPower ultra but might not use it much 

Ok thanks just think if it's a job a couoke of times a year might just be ok to clean with tap water, ok that's good advice thank you, yes the deal on window cleaning warehouse includes pole and brush there's a more expensive one including a unger HydroPower ultra but might not use it much 
Unger hydropowers are incredible but a waste of time if you live in a hard water area. You won't get 000 ppm unless you have an RO 

Unger hydropowers are incredible but a waste of time if you live in a hard water area. You won't get 000 ppm unless you have an RO 
Ah ok then, how low could the HydroPower get it though? Some say you can use tap water to clean them but if I used HydroPower it could get it to a bit better level, what ro system would be good and cheaper version? 

Ah ok then, how low could the HydroPower get it though? Some say you can use tap water to clean them but if I used HydroPower it could get it to a bit better level, what ro system would be good and cheaper version? 
It all depends on your tap water Tds ppm reading. 

That's the first test before buying any water fed pole water purification equipment 

@mark2788 we don't need your postal address just which city or county you live in so we can give some general advice, if you live in a hard water area then it's pointless buying a unger hydro, in all honesty for the money you may need to spend it's almost pointless taking the job on unless you intend on doing more add on's with wfp or making the move to be fully wfp for window cleaning. 

@mark2788 we don't need your postal address just which city or county you live in so we can give some general advice, if you live in a hard water area then it's pointless buying a unger hydro, in all honesty for the money you may need to spend it's almost pointless taking the job on unless you intend on doing more add on's with wfp or making the move to be fully wfp for window cleaning. 
In Suffolk, I know it seems not worth getting unger hydro but even if the resin lasted the one job and then a couple of clear conservatory roofs I'd be happy with that as it looks a good job to have and can make the money back quickly 

Being you don't have pure water. What I would do is ; wait for a day when there's going to be rain. Wash them thoroughly with tap water from a hose and then let the rain rinse them off while you're there.

Sorry if I sound picky but aren’t the two things mutually exclusive?

I agree that pure will be much better. Tap water will leave hard water marks which I imagine will impair efficiency of their performance, one thing that cleaning them is supposed to improve.

I agree that pure will be much better. Tap water will leave hard water marks which I imagine will impair efficiency of their performance, one thing that cleaning them is supposed to improve.
Correct. Every tom **** and Harry would be cleaning them else 

I may be wrong but I can't see how tap water can leave hard water marks ; as long as they are done when it's raining so the tap water can't dry in. The rain will wash the tap water off. It would do the same thing with pure water, surely. The last water to be on the panels on leaving site would be rainwater. If it was going to cause problems with tap water it would cause them with pure.

Not pleasant to work in the rain but sometimes you have to do what you have to, to put food on the table or earn a bit more money. I don't know Mark's circumstances.

I'm not saying things are that difficult for Mark, I don't know. I do know that I've had times when finances were very difficult and I had to find ways to make an extra few shekels. Those times are not to be forgotten.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be wrong but I can't see how tap water can leave hard water marks ; as long as they are done when it's raining so the tap water can't dry in. The rain will wash the tap water off. It would do the same thing with pure water, surely. The last water to be on the panels on leaving site would be rainwater. If it was going to cause problems with tap water it would cause them with pure.

Not pleasant to work in the rain but sometimes you have to do what you have to, to put food on the table or earn a bit more money. I don't know Mark's circumstances.

I'm not saying things are that difficult for Mark, I don't know. I do know that I've had times when finances were very difficult and I had to find ways to make an extra few sheckles. Those times are not to be forgotten.
Apologies, I never read your initial reply Davy G. Yes, reckon that is probably a good idea regarding waiting for it to rain. Would also be a double whammy of helping to loosen the dirt.

Madness. You certainly shouldn’t be encouraging people to do that.
Its great, the panels are as hard as hell. I'm not using the turbo nozzle but I use the vario nozzle. Some of the panels are green with alga and haven't been touched in nearly 10yrs. Do you know what the panels are made from? Beach sand and as hard as stone. If you think I'm trying to clean them with wfp for hours on end then you must be joking. ?

Latest Posts

Back