Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best method of footing the ladder

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Craig Scott

Evening guys and girls I have a small window cleaning round of around 300. I’m currently paying a young lad £50 a day just to foot my ladder for me, can everyone tell me their opinions on the best safety device to foot the ladder, safely? 

The correct way to foot a ladder is have your left hand on the left hand stile, right hand on the right hand stile right foot on the first rung , left foot on the ground and gently push with the arms in towards the building 

The correct way to foot a ladder is have your left hand on the left hand stile, right hand on the right hand stile right foot on the first rung , left foot on the ground and gently push with the arms in towards the building 
No I meant how do I get the ladder footed without using someone whilst I’m up it 

No no I get most of my clients because they don’t like the WFP system. I’m looking for the best safety options for the ladder 

Evening guys and girls I have a small window cleaning round of around 300. I’m currently paying a young lad £50 a day just to foot my ladder for me, can everyone tell me their opinions on the best safety device to foot the ladder, safely? 
Just google laddermate

At present I get my son foot 2 jobs a month where I use a very long ladder and bung him a pony but I will be getting a laddermate very soon when I purchase a new triple extension ladder.  It looks best for job imo.

No I meant how do I get the ladder footed without using someone whilst I’m up it 

No no I get most of my clients because they don’t like the WFP system. I’m looking for the best safety options for the ladder 
Well convert them. Try it out for free for them and ask them for their thoughts on the matter, mine were the same.

Wow, £50 a day footing ladders! 

and people say there is no money in pure trad!!! ?

TBH, I bought the laddermates when I started because I had a decking job and it was 3 floors with the triple extensions , I never used them and they are still in the packaging in the van because I felt the ladder were safe without them as it was dry and the decking was not slippy (i didn't have a footer either, I work alone. 

You have to use a method that you feel is safe. 

I am, young, nimble and strong so the ladders are like a climbing frame for me. 

I may not feel this way when I am older and weaker so I may use the laddermates eventually or do more trad pole work. 

My point is I know my limits, like you know your limits which is why you pay for a footer.

safety is number 1 priority and you cannot be safe if you are not confident with the tools you are using. 

Hope this helps 

Stay Safe ?

If you want something to stop ladder slipping on decking get some Mc Allister non slip ladder feet guards from B&Q only £12.92 
Read the original post as he says nothing about ladder to be footed on decking, just footed in general.

Wow, £50 a day footing ladders! 

and people say there is no money in pure trad!!! ?

TBH, I bought the laddermates when I started because I had a decking job and it was 3 floors with the triple extensions , I never used them and they are still in the packaging in the van because I felt the ladder were safe without them as it was dry and the decking was not slippy (i didn't have a footer either, I work alone. 

You have to use a method that you feel is safe. 

I am, young, nimble and strong so the ladders are like a climbing frame for me. 

I may not feel this way when I am older and weaker so I may use the laddermates eventually or do more trad pole work. 

My point is I know my limits, like you know your limits which is why you pay for a footer.

safety is number 1 priority and you cannot be safe if you are not confident with the tools you are using. 

Hope this helps 

Stay Safe ?
Cheers mate good words unfortunately I’m middle aged and my limits are not quite what they used to be 

That's a clever idea, very basic but those tend to be the best ones.

If you want something to stop ladder slipping on decking get some Mc Allister non slip ladder feet guards from B&Q only £12.92 
I bought them for a couple of houses with decking round the back but the gaps in the wood are too tight to fit. Thought about thinning them out with a grinding wheel but dont know if that would affect the safety.

I bought them for a couple of houses with decking round the back but the gaps in the wood are too tight to fit. Thought about thinning them out with a grinding wheel but dont know if that would affect the safety.
Dont ever grind or manipulate a ladder or stabilizing units. That's a high safety issue. 

Doing something like this can easily end with a life ending accident. 

Be safe.

Back