Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Best method of footing the ladder

Craig Scott

Used the nonslip ladder feets from screw fix on a dirty green ice rink decking this winter - they’re well good and worth the £12 just for that one gutter clean 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/non-slip-ladder-feet-guards-2-pack/3148P?tc=RA7&ds_kid=92700052138708319&ds_rl=1243324&gclid=Cj0KCQjw38-DBhDpARIsADJ3kjk8vLK9AsK2MYPz5_u9hjLwEVM8eucGE9qRks5JeiaYCFtxckBptn4aAtT5EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I just use an offcut of my 5mm rubber van matting with a lacquered piece of meranti secured to it as a stop

Great for patios decking and concrete 

19 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

I just use an offcut of my 5mm rubber van matting with a lacquered piece of meranti secured to it as a stop

Great for patios decking and concrete 

I see a video in that 🙂 Would be good to see if you use an L shape or just a flat piece.

32 minutes ago, ched999uk said:

I see a video in that 🙂 Would be good to see if you use an L shape or just a flat piece.

For decking I have a piece of 3mm angle profile aluminium which sits in the board spacing and butt's up against my matt to stop slip back 

• 2 weeks later...
laddergarder

I would say you don't need to foot a ladder all the time. But I feel I have to be a little careful with the advice I give on this.

It really depends on the situation. Surface, what your racking against, wind, rain, location etc. Even type weight of ladder can effect it.

For me I have been working on a ladder for 14 years, and the ladder footies mentioned for decking is all I use as an anti slip. Along with wooden wedges to level the ladder if needed.

If its particularly ice etc, we may double up on one van and foot the ladders where necessary. If I am on my own, I will often grab an extension  pole if I have any doubt.

Test the grip, give the ladder a push forward at the base see if it has good grip.

• Like 2

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.