Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Has anyone been back to the gym yet?

ksp

I went yesterday. Thought I’d go light to get back in to it, but once there I toyed with the 50kg dumbells, picked them up from the rack and thought ‘sure I can do this’  Got to the bench, struggled with everything in me to get them up, managed 4 reps before I had to stop and go down in weight. 

The rest of the session was equally poor and ego shattering. I know the strength and bigger weights will come back quickly, but I’m truly astounded just how fast it went. 

I went yesterday. Thought I’d go light to get back in to it, but once there I toyed with the 50kg dumbells, picked them up from the rack and thought ‘sure I can do this’  Got to the bench, struggled with everything in me to get them up, managed 4 reps before I had to stop and go down in weight. 

The rest of the session was equally poor and ego shattering. I know the strength and bigger weights will come back quickly, but I’m truly astounded just how fast it went. 
You ll give yourself an injury doing things like that...

As an experienced weight trainer I'll be taking it easy when my gym opens on Monday next week....lighter weights and less volume and intensity for a few weeks and build up from there....

I've been training regularly for 4 and a half years now so the gains will easily come back within a month or so....

I've been doing half arsed workouts at home with kettlebells and dumbbells for the last few months but it's not the same as going to the gym.....

A little tip.....leave your ego at the gym door and only pick it up when you leave....??

I start light and progressively go up in weight for most exercises....this drastically reduces the chance of injury.....

If you ve had a 4 month lay off then you have to be extra cautious as your ligaments and joints will have lost some of their strength as well as your muscles......

Same thing here.

Went back on Monday first time after having 4 months off and definitely felt weak doing even the lighter weights. Like always, when you start again after a break, make sure to take it easy on the weights and build up to your usual routine over several weeks.

If you've been training for many years, you won't "lose it" after a couple of months, but it will take some time to get back to normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I had four months off as I stopped going a couple of weeks before lockdown due to the increase in cases of Covid. 

I’d not been able to acquire any weights at all during the gym closures so I was going in cold. It’s just amazing how fast your body adapts to the decreased demands you’re putting on it. 

Hahaha It’s difficult to leave the ego. At one point in time a fair few years ago I used to lift heavy weights. I’m at a strongman gym as well so you’re training beside some real monsters. 

I am starting light this afternoon with few cans of Hobgoblin  :beerchug:
Shoppings just been delivered and I now have 8 cans of hobgoblin for tonight also..

Shame it's not as strong as the bottles but wife did the shopping.

Gym?? I work for a living 
nowt wrong with gym after or before work.

Love the aches during work as you know it's doing you good.

Shoppings just been delivered and I now have 8 cans of hobgoblin for tonight also..

Got/had 7 cans of different beers as wife did the shopping so a pack of hobgoblin and some ipa's she is well trained ?,  been drinking slowly since 2.30pm 

nowt wrong with gym after or before work.

Love the aches during work as you know it's doing you good.
I'm up at 3am every morning work till 3pm and home. Everything I do is a workout. I go kayaking most evenings. 

Sounds awful!each to their own......you wont be able to keep that up for long......unless your in your 20s!its unsustainable in the long run.....
I've been doing it for years. Battling ptsd depression anxiety and scoliosis but it won't stop me. Hate people if I'm honest and can't stand being stuck inside a building when I can be out 

I've been doing it for years. Battling ptsd depression anxiety and scoliosis but it won't stop me. Hate people if I'm honest and can't stand being stuck inside a building when I can be out 
Good man, far better then taking a cocktail of drugs the Docs will want to put you on. No defeat, no surrender, is the best way to be. May you have many more full days of hard work and victory of beating the demons

Been there mate.. still on sertraline now.

Chin up fella and carry on.

Good man, far better then taking a cocktail of drugs the Docs will want to put you on. No defeat, no surrender, is the best way to be. May you have many more full days of hard work and victory of beating the demons
I was on med for years but got myself off them and tackled it with a stronger mind and determination 

I’ve been back this week. We’ve just had a PureGym open and it’s fantastic! Weights are down though lol all I’ve done through lockdown is running, bagwork and skipping.

i only ever do a 10 min cardio warm up on the bike or rowing machine followed by a weight training session and have done for over 4 years now 2 or 3 times a week.......

im used to supersetting most exercises with opposing muscle groups but im not sure ill be allowed to do that which will be a little frustrating as this allows a pace and intensity and condenses my workouts into shorter time frames......i might have to change my workouts a bit but its better than no gym at all!

I’ve been back this week. We’ve just had a PureGym open and it’s fantastic! Weights are down though lol all I’ve done through lockdown is running, bagwork and skipping.
How busy is PureGym at the minute, need to get back there but don't want to be queuing for ages

i only ever do a 10 min cardio warm up on the bike or rowing machine followed by a weight training session and have done for over 4 years now 2 or 3 times a week.......

im used to supersettm ding most exercises with opposing muscle groups but im not sure ill be allowed to do that which will be a little frustrating as this allows a pace and intensity and condenses my workouts into shorter time frames......i might have to change my workouts a bit but its better than no gym at all!
Which gym do you go to Daz I'm formely from Lower Broughton. Used to train years ago at Flex N Tone across the road from Salford City Shopping Centre. Probably the best gym ive ever trained at in the world and I been to a lot not just in UK.

Back