ksp

Has anyone been back to the gym yet?

THL4KEL
13 minutes ago, dazmond said:

i only ever do a 10 min cardio warm up on the bike or rowing machine followed by a weight training session and have done for over 4 years now 2 or 3 times a week.......

im used to supersettm ding most exercises with opposing muscle groups but im not sure ill be allowed to do that which will be a little frustrating as this allows a pace and intensity and condenses my workouts into shorter time frames......i might have to change my workouts a bit but its better than no gym at all!

Which gym do you go to Daz I'm formely from Lower Broughton. Used to train years ago at Flex N Tone across the road from Salford City Shopping Centre. Probably the best gym ive ever trained at in the world and I been to a lot not just in UK.

Part Timer
3 hours ago, brianbadonde said:

I’ve been back this week. We’ve just had a PureGym open and it’s fantastic! Weights are down though lol all I’ve done through lockdown is running, bagwork and skipping.

I must admit I do enjoy the skipping part, I regularly skip any type of non work exercise to go to the pub

Dave B

This is my workout today.

See how much of this I can eat.

Family round for father in law's 80th.

20200801_123022.jpg

Teddington Window Cleaners

My martial art studio are still doing Zoom classes 😞 I only go for the violence 

dazmond
1 hour ago, THL4KEL said:

Which gym do you go to Daz I'm formely from Lower Broughton. Used to train years ago at Flex N Tone across the road from Salford City Shopping Centre. Probably the best gym ive ever trained at in the world and I been to a lot not just in UK.

i pay an annual membership of just over £300 and i can use 8 diifferent leisure centres all over salford.....my main one is in eccles....its fairly big with lots of free weights as well as machines/stationary bikes,etc.....although i do sometimes go to other ones on occasions....

dazmond
2 hours ago, Joshyouare said:

How busy is PureGym at the minute, need to get back there but don't want to be queuing for ages

you have to book online a week in advance now mate...you cant just turn up to a gym like you used to!

Joshyouare
11 minutes ago, dazmond said:

you have to book online a week in advance now mate...you cant just turn up to a gym like you used to!

Fair enough mate. Are you sure that's the case with pure? Not heard anything about it, would've thought they would have said something. They have just said you can see how many people are in the gym before you go (which you could also do before).

dazmond
31 minutes ago, Joshyouare said:

Fair enough mate. Are you sure that's the case with pure? Not heard anything about it, would've thought they would have said something. They have just said you can see how many people are in the gym before you go (which you could also do before).

maybe but not at my gym....its online booking only....

HWCS

I spoke to my mate that works in a gym about membership but it was £24.99 a month, tbf i weighed it up and worked it out and thats 2pints and a large kebab wrap on a Friday 2 weeks in a row, so decided i wont be going in first place let alone 'back' 😉😉😉

brianbadonde
6 hours ago, Joshyouare said:

How busy is PureGym at the minute, need to get back there but don't want to be queuing for ages

It has a capacity of 115 at the moment but the most I’ve seen in there when I check the app is 60something. I’ve never had to queue and I went in Wednesday night after work at about 17:00 when gyms are busiest and got in no problem.

dazmond
6 hours ago, HWCS said:

I spoke to my mate that works in a gym about membership but it was £24.99 a month, tbf i weighed it up and worked it out and thats 2pints and a large kebab wrap on a Friday 2 weeks in a row, so decided i wont be going in first place let alone 'back' 😉😉😉

I'm nearly 49 now.....gotta keep the muscle building going to stop the rot.....thankfully I enjoy it......i still can afford a kebab or 2 as well!👍😎

Iron Giant
18 hours ago, Part Timer said:

I must admit I do enjoy the skipping part, I regularly skip any type of non work exercise to go to the pub

I thought this would have been more like you 

tenor.gif

Part Timer
2 hours ago, Iron Giant said:

I thought this would have been more like you 

tenor.gif

Far to energetic for me

dazmond
Posted (edited)
On 31/07/2020 at 13:34, ksp said:

Yes. I had four months off as I stopped going a couple of weeks before lockdown due to the increase in cases of Covid. 

I’d not been able to acquire any weights at all during the gym closures so I was going in cold. It’s just amazing how fast your body adapts to the decreased demands you’re putting on it. 

Hahaha It’s difficult to leave the ego. At one point in time a fair few years ago I used to lift heavy weights. I’m at a strongman gym as well so you’re training beside some real monsters. 

I've got no interest in how much weight I can lift.....seriously......all I'm interested in is the burn in the muscles,the pump and the endorphin release after a good workout....

Paradoxically I'm bigger than most guys in my gym but probably not half as strong as some of the smaller guys that lift heavier weights than me......

Edited by dazmond

ksp
6 hours ago, dazmond said:

I've got no interest in how much weight I can lift.....seriously......all I'm interested in is the burn in the muscles,the pump and the endorphin release after a good workout....

Paradoxically I'm bigger than most guys in my gym but probably not half as strong as some of the smaller guys that lift heavier weights than me......

We are all in it for different reasons. I find I get much more benefit from the gym if I have set targets. Otherwise I’m just going through the motions aimlessly with a lack of motivation.

ched999uk
Posted (edited)

Sight deviation but as someone who has zero muscles and is a couch potato: How is it best to build the muscles required for wfp? i.e. is it better to do more reps or higher weight?

My body shape isn't really good for joining a gym 🙂 plus I am still shielding my partner as she has blood cancer. We do have a treadmill, pilates machine, rowing machine, exercise bike etc, normally used by my partner but I have started doing some exercise.

Any tips?

Cheers

Edited by ched999uk

ksp
20 minutes ago, ched999uk said:

Sight deviation but as someone who has zero muscles and is a couch potato: How is it best to build the muscles required for fwp? i.e. is it better to do more reps or higher weight?

My body shape isn't really good for joining a gym 🙂 plus I am still shielding my partner as she has blood cancer. We do have a treadmill, pilates machine, rowing machine, exercise bike etc, normally used by my partner but I have started doing some exercise.

Any tips?

Cheers

Using WFP. Your body will adapt to the demands you put on it as you go along as long as you give it enough fuel to recover.

I wouldn’t worry about eight lifting at all if you’ve not done it before. You’d only be putting extra demands on yourself whilst you’re still adapting to wfp

Part Timer

As @ksp said, you'll soon start to build muscle in the areas required. Personally if I were you I'd buy a slightly cheaper pole, a CLX, this will save you money, teach you how to clean windows with something that's harder to control and build muscle quicker then a SLX. The difference in weight between the 2 is only circa 100gms and this is only really a factor if you're doing 5 hours plus a day, every day. 

ched999uk
4 hours ago, Part Timer said:

As @ksp said, you'll soon start to build muscle in the areas required. Personally if I were you I'd buy a slightly cheaper pole, a CLX, this will save you money, teach you how to clean windows with something that's harder to control and build muscle quicker then a SLX. The difference in weight between the 2 is only circa 100gms and this is only really a factor if you're doing 5 hours plus a day, every day. 

Cheers. Interesting idea of getting a CLX to build muscles and gain control. I was going for a SLX22 as I was thinking lighter would give my arms and shoulders a bit less of a workout 🙂 I'm not young (51) so maybe lightest will be best on the old shoulders 🙂.

Cheers for the advice it's much appreciated. 

Part Timer
2 hours ago, ched999uk said:

Cheers. Interesting idea of getting a CLX to build muscles and gain control. I was going for a SLX22 as I was thinking lighter would give my arms and shoulders a bit less of a workout 🙂 I'm not young (51) so maybe lightest will be best on the old shoulders 🙂.

Cheers for the advice it's much appreciated. 

I'm nearly 57, a lot younger then @Den and @steve garwood and also have a lot more hair then the pair combined. I don't know your physical condition but initially you'll be doing more leg work then shoulder work.