Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van fault help, any ideas?

BigFoot

Have a Renault kangoo diesel 1.9

great workhorse but have had staring problems in the morning taking 4-6 turns of the key to start then drives great all day starting every time until the next morning 

the glow plugs are good as is the starter motor and battery.

been to two garages and neither have been able to identify or fix it because it starts for them.

anyone with any ideas what it could be?

great workhorse but have had staring problems in the morning taking 4-6 turns of the key to start then drives great all day starting every time until the next morning 
Is that before it cranks over, or just for the engine to fire up and run?
My theory, as I get similar in my Capri, Is maybe your fuel filter doesn't have a non-return valve, so overnight the fuel is running back down the pipes to the tank, so it takes a few seconds to get the flow and pressure back up?

Try turning the ignition on (but not turning it over) for 2 seconds, then off, then on, then off, then try turning it over and see if that works. As the pump will prime on each ignition turn, which will get the fuel back to where it should be.

Might need a lift pump. I used to have a Vectra that if you parked facing uphill for more than 24 hrs it would need lots of cranking to start. I think it was a seal in pump allowing fuel to drain back to tank. Park facing down hill and it was fine. 

Does the 1.9 have a rubber push pump on the fuel pump? If it has try and give it a few pushes to get pressure back up.

Might need a lift pump. I used to have a Vectra that if you parked facing uphill for more than 24 hrs it would need lots of cranking to start. I think it was a seal in pump allowing fuel to drain back to tank. Park facing down hill and it was fine. 

Does the 1.9 have a rubber push pump on the fuel pump? If it has try and give it a few pushes to get pressure back up.
Yes it has a rubber push pump I’ll give that a try.

thanks for the idea.

My theory, as I get similar in my Capri, Is maybe your fuel filter doesn't have a non-return valve, so overnight the fuel is running back down the pipes to the tank, so it takes a few seconds to get the flow and pressure back up?

Try turning the ignition on (but not turning it over) for 2 seconds, then off, then on, then off, then try turning it over and see if that works. As the pump will prime on each ignition turn, which will get the fuel back to where it should be.
I feel like is fuel something related. I like that idea of turning ignition on and off a few times before firing.

cheers

Capri i had the 3lt great until you hit a bend 

@BigFoot did you manage to try any of the suggestions? Anything help/fix it?
 it’s starting first turn in the morning again but the garage could find no fault, I can only think they moved something inadvertently because it works again but I have no confidence that when the cold weather returns so will the problem.

glad it’s starting, frustration not knowing what’s the underlying issue.

Back