Water meter? Avoid or not?

Hi guys currently looking. To buy a new house should I avoid if have a water meter in? 

Is. It costly to produce pure on a water meter anyone currently do it this way and what's average bills? I'm in South Yorkshire area S70.. 

Cheers all 

2 hours ago, paul1 said:

Hi guys currently looking. To buy a new house should I avoid if have a water meter in? 

Is. It costly to produce pure on a water meter anyone currently do it this way and what's average bills? I'm in South Yorkshire area S70.. 

Cheers all 

I've got a water meter. Price per cubic metre of water is pence and its tax deductible. Check your local county water supplier and look online at the prices on Cubic metre costing 

Edited by Apw1210
26 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

I've got a water meter. Price per cubic metre of water is pence and its tax deductible. Check your local country water supplier and look online at the prices on Cubic metre costing 

Where I am water is £1.91 per cubic meter and sewage charge is £2.83 per cubic meter , I have a sub meter for work and only pay for  the water no sewage charge . 

12 minutes ago, Pjj said:

Where I am water is £1.91 per cubic meter and sewage charge is £2.83 per cubic meter , I have a sub meter for work and only pay for  the water no sewage charge . 

I don't know if that's typical but Im glad I'm not on a meter! I pay an average of £40 per month to Yorkshire water. 

20 hours ago, Pjj said:

I think all modern houses are now on a water meter my bills are around £600- 1000 per quarter 

thats ridiculously expensive.....mines around £650 a year and that includes purifying my water for work.....

47 minutes ago, dazmond said:

thats ridiculously expensive.....mines around £650 a year and that includes purifying my water for work.....

That’s just water no sewage charge , but is for three vans 5 days a week  

@paul1 we pay less than 1p per litre. 0.7p I think.

this factors water cost based on supplier charges and ro/ pre filter/ resin costs and we are around 315 from the tap.

get in touch with your water company and put an inline filter on the pure outlet. Email them the readings and explain your measuring the portion you don’t put down the drain and they usually provide a discount for that element.

based on the costs buying it is not viable over the long term if you can produce otherwise. 

Moved from un metered to a meter in my new home, actually costs me a little less per month and I now make RO water for water fed pole cleaning, was trad before.

So I use more water now and pay less??? Doesn't make sense to me but I don't mind saving a pretty penny where I can.

When you inform the water board your a window cleaner, will they charge you business rates instead of domestic rates?? or a higher standing order charge?

I’m on a meter but usually split my filling between home and a pure filling station, but since covid I have filled at home all the time and my usage has doubled. 

6 minutes ago, Skywalker said:

When you inform the water board your a window cleaner, will they charge you business rates instead of domestic rates?? or a higher standing order charge?

I’m on a meter but usually split my filling between home and a pure filling station, but since covid I have filled at home all the time and my usage has doubled. 

Not with me they didn’t they were very helpful and suggested the sub meter tk save me money 

3 minutes ago, Pjj said:

Not with me they didn’t they were very helpful and suggested the sub meter tk save me money 

Ok thanks @Pjj I had heard this is what they would do, so have always been hesitant to call them!!

19 minutes ago, Skywalker said:

Our water provider did not. In fact I had put it off because other window cleaners were making out just that. (Not on here). 
when I emailed the water co and they called me back they couldn’t have been happier to help.

call them and explain you plan to do that and see what they say. Nothing to loose but a good amount to gain. 

2 minutes ago, Omega said:

Our water provider did not. In fact I had put it off because other window cleaners were making out just that. (Not on here). 
when I emailed the water co and they called me back they couldn’t have been happier to help.

call them and explain you plan to do that and see what they say. Nothing to loose but a good amount to gain. 

We must have heard the same thing!! 
Great, thanks, I’ll call them up and see what they say 👍