Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water meter? Avoid or not?

paul1

Hi guys currently looking. To buy a new house should I avoid if have a water meter in? 

Is. It costly to produce pure on a water meter anyone currently do it this way and what's average bills? I'm in South Yorkshire area S70.. 

Cheers all 

Hi guys currently looking. To buy a new house should I avoid if have a water meter in? 

Is. It costly to produce pure on a water meter anyone currently do it this way and what's average bills? I'm in South Yorkshire area S70.. 

Cheers all 
I've got a water meter. Price per cubic metre of water is pence and its tax deductible. Check your local county water supplier and look online at the prices on Cubic metre costing 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a water meter. Price per cubic metre of water is pence and its tax deductible. Check your local country water supplier and look online at the prices on Cubic metre costing 
Where I am water is £1.91 per cubic meter and sewage charge is £2.83 per cubic meter , I have a sub meter for work and only pay for  the water no sewage charge . 

@paul1 we pay less than 1p per litre. 0.7p I think.

this factors water cost based on supplier charges and ro/ pre filter/ resin costs and we are around 315 from the tap.

get in touch with your water company and put an inline filter on the pure outlet. Email them the readings and explain your measuring the portion you don’t put down the drain and they usually provide a discount for that element.

based on the costs buying it is not viable over the long term if you can produce otherwise. 

Moved from un metered to a meter in my new home, actually costs me a little less per month and I now make RO water for water fed pole cleaning, was trad before.

So I use more water now and pay less??? Doesn't make sense to me but I don't mind saving a pretty penny where I can.

When you inform the water board your a window cleaner, will they charge you business rates instead of domestic rates?? or a higher standing order charge?

I’m on a meter but usually split my filling between home and a pure filling station, but since covid I have filled at home all the time and my usage has doubled. 

When you inform the water board your a window cleaner, will they charge you business rates instead of domestic rates?? or a higher standing order charge?

I’m on a meter but usually split my filling between home and a pure filling station, but since covid I have filled at home all the time and my usage has doubled. 

Not with me they didn’t they were very helpful and suggested the sub meter tk save me money 

Our water provider did not. In fact I had put it off because other window cleaners were making out just that. (Not on here). 
when I emailed the water co and they called me back they couldn’t have been happier to help.

call them and explain you plan to do that and see what they say. Nothing to loose but a good amount to gain. 

Our water provider did not. In fact I had put it off because other window cleaners were making out just that. (Not on here). 
when I emailed the water co and they called me back they couldn’t have been happier to help.

call them and explain you plan to do that and see what they say. Nothing to loose but a good amount to gain. 
We must have heard the same thing!! 
Great, thanks, I’ll call them up and see what they say ?

Back