Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tough year and end of last year

tench0771

Any one eals in same boat ! since last winter rain stress buying house then covid equement failer more stress depression world on my shoulders more stress werry more equement failed its just a pure ass kicking for ne this year is it just me ??

Ffs im usly cool as cucumber but dam its been rough 

I think we are fortunate that we have been able to work. Some business on the floor. But I know what u mean about equipment had 2 pumps go & a controller in last year really annoying. Makes u wanna cry

Any one eals in same boat ! since last winter rain stress buying house then covid equement failer more stress depression world on my shoulders more stress werry more equement failed its just a pure ass kicking for ne this year is it just me ??

@tench0771 yeah me too mate. Scraped through winter ok and have been part time mostly the last two years as I was helping look after my grandmother who was terminally ill. She passed away in May (cancer, nothing to do with the pandemic) but now as I’m trying to get more customers people don’t seem to want a window cleaner where I am at present (south coast). I get the odd new one but very slow compared to last year. 2020 can just about b*gger off as far as I’m concerned mate.

Hang in there, Tench. You'll be wetting a line on the Bristol Channel on Sunday. Good or bad fishing, doesn't matter. It's getting out and doing stuff for yourself.

Most of us go through dark and difficult times sometimes. I accept that life goes forward in troughs, levels and peaks and I try to ride through them.

Catch your breath, mate. it will pass.

We're rooting for you, kid. Tight lines for Sunday.

Just saw your post WG, all the best to you as well.

⚓?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, on a regular basis, ? happens. All I would say is at least with this job, for the established, it doesn't take long to come right. Try and take the attitude of glass half full, rather than half empty. Chin up mate, hopefully soon you'll be asking why you posted this.

As has been said try and take one day at a time, don’t worry about the future half the time what we worry about doesn’t happen. Try and keep a sense of humour, even when things go wrong and this can help your mental outlook on it. Try and find time for yourself doing what you enjoy, whether it’s a hobby or time with family and focus on the good things you have in life. Also exercise and healthy eating vs turning to drink or smoking has been proven to help but that can be easier said than done!

Something I’ve learnt is we can’t always change our circumstances but we can at least change our outlook on them. Sounds like it’s been a rough time for you and I really hope things pick up for you soon.

I have had bouts of slight depression through this year I guess a lot of us if not all are feeling the same at times, I am the main earner in our house and deal with all the finances whilst my wife lives in a happy bubble as she always has but carries her own load with working in a residential home for the elderly, we both talk but equally don't at times tell each other everything to protect each other but that's our way but in the end it all comes out and we work through it and support each other. 

I just take one day at a time and like to work and make money. I think if I couldn't then depression would set it. With the money I make I buy things which make my life easier. One of my customers showed me his cold beer dispenser so I have bought one which is quite expensive. Cheer yourself up by saving up and buying one for the garden hut. ?

https://www.beerwulf.com/en-gb/blade

I've never had it rough for many,many years.....I used to be an alcoholic and lived a crazy,chaotic life,sometimes homeless.....it seems a lifetime away now though.....

My dads dying and is wasting away..doctors have given him 6 weeks to live,I've been in hospital with AFIB but on medication now which will hopefully stop it happening again,my brothers wife is ill with leukaemia but other than that I'm fine....I've got a great business,missus and a dog and can work without restrictions,no debts or money worries,etc......

I count my blessings every single day lads.....I should of been dead 10 years ago along with a few other friends who are sadly not with us anymore.....

Life is too short to be worrying about it......

Just keep at it mate ✌?

When the going gets tough just need to persevere at try and keep the head up. I know it can be difficult but you’ll get through it ?

Nowhere in same boat as you Mate, but know where your coming from. Many (and probably a lot of the recent newbie starters) forget how wet last winter was, which like you effected me financially, so had to dip into  savings, but hey no problem, would make up that with the new customers I can get in March onwards....then Covid-19. And at outset no one knew  (and still do not) how severe it is ,or how to handle it. This again has had a impact financially and  now there is always the daily threat of being contacted to self isolate for 10 days for being in the same venue as someone being tested positive whether you were near them or not. Which again will hit financially......and we self employed cannot claim sick pay to cover some of the lost earnings that will result due to no fault of our own. We are all having a bad year, but hey chin up.

Nowhere in same boat as you Mate, but know where your coming from. Many (and probably a lot of the recent newbie starters) forget how wet last winter was, which like you effected me financially, so had to dip into  savings, but hey no problem, would make up that with the new customers I can get in March onwards....then Covid-19. And at outset no one knew  (and still do not) how severe it is ,or how to handle it. This again has had a impact financially and  now there is always the daily threat of being contacted to self isolate for 10 days for being in the same venue as someone being tested positive whether you were near them or not. Which again will hit financially......and we self employed cannot claim sick pay to cover some of the lost earnings that will result due to no fault of our own. We are all having a bad year, but hey chin up.
Get out and work in all but the worst weather....after a few years most customers wont bat a eyelid when you clean in the rain...also make sure you have decent waterproof footwear,pants and at least 2 goretex jackets in the van(swap them at lunchtime).this will make a world of difference to keep you working on wet days....?

My income is roughly the same all year round...ironically january is often one of my best months earnings wise due to having time off over xmas.....

I really feel for some of you guys having a rough time of it. It’s not easy. Try and find a work life balance if at all possible. Put the phone on do not disturb between 5pm and 8am. Only deal with enquiries during working hours. Dont bend over backwards for awkward people. Have a few days in the countryside or at the beach. 
I knew there was heat on the way so i brought a few rounds forward and did them a bit earlier than i normally would as i cant stand working in sweltering heat. That freed us up and allowed us some time off during the hottest of weather. i’ve been to the beach With my boy and climbed a forested mountain trail to see some waterfalls up in the beacons with my mrs.
was so great to have that family time. Its all about making life work for you.

We had a rough run last year my brother had a leg injury so i was on my own for the best part of 3 months trying to keep up with the workload on my own, then when he came back in august the rush was over and we had a quieter than normal autumn, and then 2020 hit. 
march and april were mental with the pandemic in full swing. But then may and june things happened and we had the best two months work wise since last july. This july wasnt amazing but it was ok. Swings and roudabouts. Hell of a lot more people in this field now so competition is very stiff in our area. The peak season only lasts from april - early august for us most years which is when people seem to have the most disposable income. After july the ad ons start to quieten down, pressure washing & softwashing especially. People have splashed out on/been on their summer holidays and are starting to save for christmas so I always pray for a mild wet autumn and a Mild wet winter so that plenty of gutter work comes in but if you have a particularly windy or exceptionally cold one it kind of puts the stopper on things as i wont work in a gale or when there is ice about. Long term i often think to myself i could do with a salary paid job and a pension but what is out there...not a lot. So many people are applying for each job & not many are secure. Dont earn brilliant money doing this but in times like these i think the mentality is cling on to what youve got and try and scrape through somehow. Not many people are feeling particularly optimistic but we dont have any option but to carry on so best just get on with life. get some hobbies to take your mind off the rot. Some people go fishing. I play darts, build airfix models and spend a lot of time with my parents and nan and gramps. We play cards/chess etc. You have to keep the mind occupied and not overthink the world. Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow so enjoy your todays even when times are at their hardest

Last edited by a moderator:
i have the same income all year round......because i clean all the same work all year round....i dont understand the window cleaners who have good months and bad months...it makes no difference whether its mid summer or mid winter to me......
We rely a lot on ad ons mate, we run on a 6 weeks basis and only about 3 weeks of that is scheduled rounds...the rest we have to try & pick up in ad ons or one offs. Thats why we have good months & bad months

We rely a lot on ad ons mate, we run on a 6 weeks basis and only about 3 weeks of that is scheduled rounds...the rest we have to try & pick up in ad ons or one offs. Thats why we have good months & bad months
Aye, beginning to realise why most established windies don't do add-ons because they just don't have the time. I have plenty of add-ons in the pipeline but I still have to do 8 days of windows to fit in. Add-ons are mostly 6 months of the year so the windows are bread and butter money.

Aye, beginning to realise why most established windies don't do add-ons because they just don't have the time. I have plenty of add-ons in the pipeline but I still have to do 8 days of windows to fit in. Add-ons are mostly 6 months of the year so the windows are bread and butter money.
We love add ons as it’s a change from the windows , I have an Indian sandstone patio to clean  hopefully later this week , and a resin drive and paths along with plastic clean and wooden decking , just picked up a nice softwashing job on a three bed semi with extension and big conservatory in and out as well , it breakers up the boredom of glass all the time .

We love add ons as it’s a change from the windows , I have an Indian sandstone patio to clean  hopefully later this week , and a resin drive and paths along with plastic clean and wooden decking , just picked up a nice softwashing job on a three bed semi with extension and big conservatory in and out as well , it breakers up the boredom of glass all the time .
Aye, its a bit boring cleaning windows day in and day out but if no one is home you don't get any hassle. I PW a roof and also the driveway and this morning went back to clean the windows and unblock a drainpipe. We got talking round the backdoor area and now they want the patio and sandstone softwashed because it doesn't look as clean as the roof and driveway. Add-ons can have this effect on customers once you start cleaning an area they generally want the rest cleaned aswell but it plays havoc with our diary that's the reason I work weekends.

Latest Posts

Back