Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

WFP explained in simple terms.

Phumble

Hi Guys, I'm relatively new to the game, been going at it for about 4 or 5 months, so far I have only been doing traditional cleans and its served me well but as things are growing I'm considering a WFP system, I have been doing my research but I'm still left with a few questions. 

Are they all that?

If so, can someone explain simply how they work, and what exactly I will need to get started?

Cheers

PH

Very simply, you need to use pure water and pump it up into a pole via a hose. You get pure water by polishing it and removing Ions from the water (I think ?). And you can do this by either putting it through a DI Vessel or if you live in an area where the water has a high TDS then you can put an RO system before the DI Vessel. If you live near a spotless water location this may be the easiest method to get pure water when starting out.

A typical system in a van would be a tank (water storage) with a pump (to pump the water up the pole), a battery to power it, and a flow controller to adjust the flow. Then you have your hose reel, poles, brushes etc in there too.

As per @Joshyouare as he replied first. ?

A water fed pole system consists of a pump that pumps pure water up to a brush on the end of a telescopic pole so we can wash and rinse the window we are cleaning.

The pure water we use is deionized using reverse osmosis. A reverse osmosis membrane is like a fine filter that removes most of the dissolved minerals from the water supply. It doesn't remove all the minerals as some particles are so small they can pass through the membrane. We remove those particles by 'polishing' that water off by passing it through resin beads.

It may not be pure according to laboratory standards but its good enough to leave the window clean and not leave mineral spots behind on the glass when the droplets of water remaining after the clean have dried.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys, I'm relatively new to the game, been going at it for about 4 or 5 months, so far I have only been doing traditional cleans and its served me well but as things are growing I'm considering a WFP system, I have been doing my research but I'm still left with a few questions. 

Are they all that?

If so, can someone explain simply how they work, and what exactly I will need to get started?

Cheers

PH
Well to answer your question, they are like any tool, they are only as good as the person using them. The previous 2 posts have explained the other part of your post.

Brill answers guys, very helpful.

So I will need a RO system and a DI vessel. 

When you buy a system, does it consist of a RO system, a DI vessel, a tank and pump? 

When you buy a system, does it consist of a RO system, a DI vessel, a tank and pump? 
No. You buy what you need.

Last edited by a moderator:

You really need to know the TDS of your water before doing anything, go to a reputable window cleaning supply firm or google one near you I have no idear who’s in Ireland??? There are some guys in the forum from Ireland and they might be able to offer advice on a supplier ,and buy a TDS meter they cost  around £15-20 

Are they all that?

Cheers

PH
Long waggling stick with a brush that pumps out wet stuff when you press a button lol 

Very simply, you need to use pure water and pump it up into a pole via a hose. You get pure water by polishing it and removing Ions from the water (I think ?). And you can do this by either putting it through a DI Vessel or if you live in an area where the water has a high TDS then you can put an RO system before the DI Vessel. If you live near a spotless water location this may be the easiest method to get pure water when starting out.

A typical system in a van would be a tank (water storage) with a pump (to pump the water up the pole), a battery to power it, and a flow controller to adjust the flow. Then you have your hose reel, poles, brushes etc in there too.
Couldnt have put it better myself.

Hi everyone. I've just joined the forum. im hoping to set up an exterior cleaning business very shortly in Ireland and have been doing a lot of research. I was hoping to just go with a DI vessel for the pure water but I got a TDS meter yesterday and the water around here is 400 ppm. my question is would I get away with using 2 DI vessels to begin with until I can get on my feet a bit and then buy an RO system? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi everyone. I've just joined the forum. im hoping to set up an exterior cleaning business very shortly in Ireland and have been doing a lot of research. I was hoping to just go with a DI vessel for the pure water but I got a TDS meter yesterday and the water around here is 400 ppm. my question is would I get away with using 2 DI vessels to begin with until I can get on my feet a bit and then buy an RO system? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Have a look on Gripper site for Resin calculator. The general rule of thumb is TDS less than about 70 you can use DI anything above and an RO is required.

No, you'd be eating your resin and would have to trickle it through double Di to get it down from there.

I'd suggest you look to buy your pure in initially if you can't afford a R/O

i

No, you'd be eating your resin and would have to trickle it through double Di to get it down from there.

I'd suggest you look to buy your pure in initially if you can't afford a R/O
I use an old Merlin RO with new membranes. It gets my water down from 430ppm to 11ppm before DI, using a booster pump at 85psi. You can pick up old Merlins for a good price, but new membranes will set you back around £400.    However, the old Merlin does produce A LOT of waste water. It works for me personally because i’m on water rates, not a meter. It may not work for you, and i might be slated for using an old Merlin, but it works for me personally. Thought i’d throw the suggestion into the mix if you are looking for a cheaper RO option ??

Thanks for the quick replies. As I said im new to this and haven't even set up yet but will have to rethink what to do. im in the Republic of Ireland so buying pure  water is not even an option here as far as I know. 

Thanks for the quick replies. As I said im new to this and haven't even set up yet but will have to rethink what to do. im in the Republic of Ireland so buying pure  water is not even an option here as far as I know. 
Some people buy their water from other window cleaners that are all ready set up.

That might be an option to start with. 

I've been looking at the pentair prf ro system there and see I don't need a storage tank. Am I right in saying I would just need to connect this to my mains and then straight into what will probably be a 350L tank in my van? Would this be a good option for a starter ro system? anyone have any experience with this particular model?

I've been looking at the pentair prf ro system there and see I don't need a storage tank. Am I right in saying I would just need to connect this to my mains and then straight into what will probably be a 350L tank in my van? Would this be a good option for a starter ro system? anyone have any experience with this particular model?
You may need to run through a DI vessel too. Depending on the PPM after RO. You may also need a booster pump into the RO to bring the PPM down further. 

What's the GPD, it would need to be well over a 1000 for you to fill direct

What's the GPD, it would need to be well over a 1000 for you to fill direct
gardeners are claiming it will produce 2600 litres a day but obviously thats in perfect conditions. Im just wondering about this system as a start up and not be spending a fortune as I am just setting up and have to buy everything. if it works and I can build up a bit of business I can upgrade to something better then. 

Back