Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

I’ve finally got a van!! But I need some advice

BWC

Hi everyone! 

I’ve finally got myself a van.. I thought this day would never come! 

Ive been working out of my Nissan Qashqai. I started with a Gardiner backpack, upgrading to a pure freedom trolley about 5 months ago. 

I got sick of lugging 25l containers around, getting into the flow of a job and having to stop/start again to change containers when it ran out. 

The van I have got is a Renault Kangoo 1.5dci SL19 on a 56 plate. (All I could afford for now as didn’t want to finance a van) it has a 800kg payload which i am happy about (came as a surprise) air con, full bulk head and parking sensors too. 

I will be looking to get a tank and frame soon after I have it sign written and mechanically checked. Does anyone have/had one of these and if so what size tank would you recommend for a good fit that doesn’t take over the entire van. I want a upright tank but torn between 350 and 400.  

Any pictures of the layout of your Kangoo vans would be a huge help too. 

Thanks everyone 

I would go for a 400 tank unless your payload allows a bigger tank. I think the upright stubby tanks are good. I have a caddy and they didn’t recommend the slim upright one. But everybody has different views. Pure freedom do a good cage and tank. All the best. Those 25 Lts are heavy lugging around. Although you may still use your trolley for awkward stuff. Some just link up their trolleys to the tank. 

I would go for a 400 tank unless your payload allows a bigger tank. I think the upright stubby tanks are good. I have a caddy and they didn’t recommend the slim upright one. But everybody has different views. Pure freedom do a good cage and tank. All the best. Those 25 Lts are heavy lugging around. Although you may still use your trolley for awkward stuff. Some just link up their trolleys to the tank. 
Thanks for the reply @JangoMy payload would probably allow me a bigger tank but I’m just thinking space and dimensions. I use spotless water so I need room at the top to fit the nozzle to fill the tank. I also have a Skyvac atom with 7 poles I’d need to fit in.

I have the Gardiner backpack that will help me with though awkward jobs which is lighter and smaller than the PF trolley too. I think I’ll be putting it up for sale very soon, only 5 months old and that can go towards the system and van! 

Thanks for the reply @JangoMy payload would probably allow me a bigger tank but I’m just thinking space and dimensions. I use spotless water so I need room at the top to fit the nozzle to fill the tank. I also have a Skyvac atom with 7 poles I’d need to fit in.

I have the Gardiner backpack that will help me with though awkward jobs which is lighter and smaller than the PF trolley too. I think I’ll be putting it up for sale very soon, only 5 months old and that can go towards the system and van! 

Yes it can be difficult. Fitting everything in. I use around 400 litres a day using 6mm microbore hose, with a good flow. I can understand you just keeping the backpack. We did have the trolley and sold it. Wouldn’t it be cheaper for you to get an Ro system and produce your own water? Once you get the van kitted out you will be so pleased, it’s so much easier. You won’t regret it for sure.  

Hi everyone! 

I’ve finally got myself a van.. I thought this day would never come! 

Ive been working out of my Nissan Qashqai. I started with a Gardiner backpack, upgrading to a pure freedom trolley about 5 months ago. 

I got sick of lugging 25l containers around, getting into the flow of a job and having to stop/start again to change containers when it ran out. 

The van I have got is a Renault Kangoo 1.5dci SL19 on a 56 plate. (All I could afford for now as didn’t want to finance a van) it has a 800kg payload which i am happy about (came as a surprise) air con, full bulk head and parking sensors too. 

I will be looking to get a tank and frame soon after I have it sign written and mechanically checked. Does anyone have/had one of these and if so what size tank would you recommend for a good fit that doesn’t take over the entire van. I want a upright tank but torn between 350 and 400.  

Any pictures of the layout of your Kangoo vans would be a huge help too. 

Thanks everyone 
Well done mate, onwards and upwards ?

Will certainly make life a bit easier having the van - good stuff!

My last van was a Kangoo. 300L upright, you could get a 350 in no bother but my payload was less than yours. Upright is the way to go as you'll save a lot of room. ?
Thank you for the reply! Do you have any pictures of your Kangoo set up in the archives? I’m struggling to find some sort of rubber flooring to put in there. May use protectacote. What did you do in yours? 

Well done mate, onwards and upwards ?

Will certainly make life a bit easier having the van - good stuff!
Thank you mate! 

Yes it can be difficult. Fitting everything in. I use around 400 litres a day using 6mm microbore hose, with a good flow. I can understand you just keeping the backpack. We did have the trolley and sold it. Wouldn’t it be cheaper for you to get an Ro system and produce your own water? Once you get the van kitted out you will be so pleased, it’s so much easier. You won’t regret it for sure.  
Producing my own will be the next step for me I think! Just need to make some space for it. Exiting times ahead! 

Thank you for the reply! Do you have any pictures of your Kangoo set up in the archives? I’m struggling to find some sort of rubber flooring to put in there. May use protectacote. What did you do in yours? 

Thank you mate! 
if you search ebay or local book bookface market place you may find a second hand rubber floor one piece mat 

Thank you mate! 
I do indeed. Setup changed a wee bit before I changed it but the basics are there. Any questions just ask!

I fibreglassed the existing ply. As you can see, that did not go well. My new van is getting speedlinered. But its down to your budget and what you can do, I'm very bad at DIY, lol! I'll attach a thread I ran on it last week, shoaled help you. Protectacote not the best according to others, but have a read. - 

View attachment 14945View attachment 15488View attachment 16562View attachment 16563

@BWC wehereabouts in nottinghamshire are you? Ive not got a kangoo, but another small van (VW Caddy), if you're anywhere near my rounds you're more then weclome to come and have a nose at how things fit in to get an idea of what will work for you?

@BWC wehereabouts in nottinghamshire are you? Ive not got a kangoo, but another small van (VW Caddy), if you're anywhere near my rounds you're more then weclome to come and have a nose at how things fit in to get an idea of what will work for you?
Thank you mate very kind of you. I’m in Mansfield, whereabouts are you? 

Creswell.............but working in Mansfield this week. Got bits spread accross Edwinstone, forest town, mansfield and sutton in ashfield. So you can either pop over here and take a look, or meet me on the round somewhere. Send us a PM and we can arrange something?

I do indeed. Setup changed a wee bit before I changed it but the basics are there. Any questions just ask!

I fibreglassed the existing ply. As you can see, that did not go well. My new van is getting speedlinered. But its down to your budget and what you can do, I'm very bad at DIY, lol! I'll attach a thread I ran on it last week, shoaled help you. Protectacote not the best according to others, but have a read. - 

View attachment 14945View attachment 15488View attachment 16562View attachment 16563
Thanks for these @Master Jedi Alejandro it gives me a good idea to go from and get an idea of space. The van came with a load of tool draws and wracking in there. Going to get them cleared out this week and flogged. I can’t find a rubber load liner for a Kangoo anywhere online. I read your post about getting the reel through the door rubber too which is a great idea ??

Creswell.............but working in Mansfield this week. Got bits spread accross Edwinstone, forest town, mansfield and sutton in ashfield. So you can either pop over here and take a look, or meet me on the round somewhere. Send us a PM and we can arrange something?
I’ll send you a message now mate 

Thanks for these @Master Jedi Alejandro it gives me a good idea to go from and get an idea of space. The van came with a load of tool draws and wracking in there. Going to get them cleared out this week and flogged. I can’t find a rubber load liner for a Kangoo anywhere online. I read your post about getting the reel through the door rubber too which is a great idea ??

I’ll send you a message now mate 
Might wanna hold onto that racking, may be able to reuse parts of it, before you flog it. Just an idea!

i had a kangoo for a while but i found it too small...i had a 350L tank strapped in,gas heater and bottle,pumpbox,reel,etc.....in the end i hated it  because everything was so cramped i was glad to get rid in the end.....its ok if your just starting out though but you ll soon outgrow it IMO.....

i had a kangoo for a while but i found it too small...i had a 350L tank strapped in,gas heater and bottle,pumpbox,reel,etc.....in the end i hated it  because everything was so cramped i was glad to get rid in the end.....its ok if your just starting out though but you ll soon outgrow it IMO.....
We’ve all got to start somewhere. I’m happy with it. What did you use to line and protect your floor in the Kangoo?

We’ve all got to start somewhere. I’m happy with it. What did you use to line and protect your floor in the Kangoo?
Just rubber mats... no need to protect the floor....its a myth that van floors rot because of water getting spilled in the back...I used to flood the kangoo nearly every week!when I sold the van it was 14 years old....yep not a spot of rust on the van floor....??

I Protectakota coated by son's first Peugeot Partner van when he first started window cleaning.

As with most car derived vans the rear passenger footwells and rear seat mounting areas are covered with a metal plate to extend the cargo floor to the back of the front seats.

Unfortunately this plate isn't water proof and on numerous occasions when I overfilled his tank I filled the footwells with water. His van always smelt musty and damp.

He now has a Citroen Berlingo. I fiberglassed the floor completely and a little up the sides. Now if either of us over fill his tank the only exit of split water is out the rear doors. His foot wells are completely dry and his van doesn't smell musty or damp.

Back