Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First Gutter Clearing Problem

Ednic

Hi folks,

Just bought a SkyVac Atom and not yet started a job with it. I've already come to a problem on my own house's downpipe! Its one that goes straight into the ground and it's got a deep rooted flower at the top. I've tried sucking and blowing the flower but it isn't budging. I'd hoped to not ever need a ladder but having read on here there will be jobs I'll have to use one then I'll do it. Problem is, my house has too narrow a space for a ladder to got to the downpipe area for me to get near it. To be honest I'm pleased that mine is so tricky so I won't be surprised when a customer has similar issues. Any ideas how i can get near on the ladder and dig out that thing? Also, do you wash out the filter after every clean?

Thanks

Soak it with water for a while, then suck it out. 

This is where the 3600 watt machines prove their worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jab at it with the metal spiggot, that should breal it up a touch, tbf ive pulled 5lb lumps of foliage from gutters with my atom, if your struggling it must be a bloomin great big plant.

I tried jabbing and kept trying to suck it up but as you say, must be very deep rooted. I can hear the whistle of the suction from the bottom of the downpipe so I guess it can't be completely blocked.

Can you soak it with water using the Atom? Sorry if stupid question.

Thanks

I tried jabbing and kept trying to suck it up but as you say, must be very deep rooted. I can hear the whistle of the suction from the bottom of the downpipe so I guess it can't be completely blocked.

Can you soak it with water using the Atom? Sorry if stupid question.

Thanks
Never triedblowing water with mine tbh, 

If you clean WFP then id get that up there and stick 10/15 ltrsall over the problem

You gotta take a pic of the beast once you do get it.

Al you can do is keep at it, unless there's a screw preventing you getting down the pipe it will come out, eventually.

Regarding your filter, I have the Skyvac Industrial and depending on what I'm getting out of the gutters, a clean every couple of full drums is usually more than enough. If you only use it occasionally I'd wash it out everytime, especially after a sloppy mud job.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest it’s practice , just keep doing what others have said.  You will develop a skill for getting stuff out it’s like driving a car you  gradualy get used to all the controls it’s the same with the vac wriggle it around, trie a narrower end , just keep plugging away Ime sure it will come out. Ladders are needed now and again though .its better to have problems with your house than a customers ???

Back