Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What's more effective door knocking ? Or leaflet drops

In my opinion door knocking if you have the time I believe if your confident and come across to the customer as a nice genuine person more people do say yes than just putting leaflets through most get chucked or put on one side and never reply hope this helps and good luck

Facebook and leafleting are both useful for identifying potential under canvassed area's once you get a lead canvasing around it can be profitable and leads to more compact work. You will need to do a bit of everything.

Door knocking is quicker than leafleting in my experience. Went out the other day and dropped 500 leaflets and got no response. However I managed to speak to 4 people ish. Got one customer from it and another guy asked for a quote and said he'd be in touch.

I'm leafleting at the minute because I don't know how well people would take to door knocking in current times. I only speak to people if they're out in their front garden etc.

Door knocking is quicker than leafleting in my experience. Went out the other day and dropped 500 leaflets and got no response. However I managed to speak to 4 people ish. Got one customer from it and another guy asked for a quote and said he'd be in touch.

I'm leafleting at the minute because I don't know how well people would take to door knocking in current times. I only speak to people if they're out in their front garden etc.
I was thinking the same , but plus if you wear a mask to the door you look like a burglar 

Door knocking is a bit more personal, as you'll have to deal with each potential customer face-to-face, rather than dropping a piece of paper into the letterbox and running away.

Both are very untargeted and time-consuming, as obviously it takes a lot of time to do the canvassing and you have no idea whos doors you're knocking or posting leaflets to, so it's like blind advertising.

It does work, can't argue with that, but it all depends on your resources and whether you're willing to put your time and effort into doing this manually yourself, or possibly if you have a budget to spend on advertising, then you could go with Google Ads or Facebook, which will produce results A LOT faster, albeit at a cost. And of course, there's a question of whether you do it yourself or outsource.

There's also always that argument that you get different types of customers depending on which method you choose to advertise, because those who come to you online, normally want a quicker service and more competitive prices, whereas people who reach out to you via leaflets or you get them through door knocking, are more casual in terms of job timing and less sensitive to the price.

Door knocking is best put the time and you will yield the results fast, spoke to another windy the other day who I only see once in a while, I don't canvass he does I have 20 odd houses on one new build estate he has gone from zero to 150 in recent years, he has a good manner and is well presented he is on every new job with door knocking, 

he wanted loads of work locally so he could ditch some big commercial over an hour away and has employed for a a year or so now so is doing really well, people want to know who is going to be cleaning their windows so a face to face works well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
To build a compact round you  need to knock doors , Facebook and any other advertising will bring in work all over the place , knock an area that you would like to build up a round in and speak ti as many as you can ones that arnt in leave a flyer and call back another time this is the best way to build compact work that’s what I did when I started 21 years ago we now have rounds on estates where we have in excess of 200 customers. 

All the above are make sense - and don't forget an online presence, but the reality is that unless you are very fortunate, it's not going to happen as fast as you would like. It does take time and you need to be in it for the long haul to get where you want it to be.

And if you're in too much of a rush the temptation could be to price it too cheaply to get customers.

Back