Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

RO Pump pulsing on Flush

Dabber

Hi

Ive got a 600gpd RO system which works fine on normal production but the pump pulses when I put it in to flush mode.
Any advice much appreciated.

thanmls

Dabber

Oh ok, thank you,  didn’t realise that, I’ve always flushed with the pump on, what if any issues might that cause.

Oh ok, thank you,  didn’t realise that, I’ve always flushed with the pump on, what if any issues might that cause.
If everything is working fine when producing then don't worry. I don't know what r/o system you have, but it sounds like the booster pump was trying to draw more water through the pipe than it could handle under free flow (no restriction.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I always flush with the booster pump on for 1 minute as there is around 3 times more water going through then switch off pump and turn tap off. 
The trouble is when answering questions you don't know all the details of the situation, the equipment he has or water flow rates to his r/o, etc. In the o/p 's situation the system ran fine when processing water. It just pulsed when flushing. So the solution was easy to suggest.

With smaller RoMan type r/os the 1/4 tubing they use will dictate how water will flow through the pipe. You can't suck more through the pipe than physics will allow.

On bigger r/os such as a 4040's flushing with the booster pump on could create other problems. By water authority regulations your boosted pump mustn't draw more than 12lpm from the mains supply. In my case if I were to flush my r/o with a booster pump I would fall foul of the regulations as the water free flowing from our back tap is 13lpm. That 13lpm is no problem in itself but if I drew 13lpm with a booster it would.

When Alex sold r/os and booster pumps he stated on his web page that booster pumps should not be switch on during flushing with 4021 and 4040 units.

The reason for buying a booster pump is because of low water pressure. Low water pressure can also mean low water flow. If we had this problem then using a booster pump on flush would impact on the other 4 houses in our cul-de-sac as we are the last house on the water ring main.

The trouble is when answering questions you don't know all the details of the situation, the equipment he has or water flow rates to his r/o, etc. In the o/p 's situation the system ran fine when processing water. It just pulsed when flushing. So the solution was easy to suggest.

With smaller RoMan type r/os the 1/4 tubing they use will dictate how water will flow through the pipe. You can't suck more through the pipe than physics will allow.

On bigger r/os such as a 4040's flushing with the booster pump on could create other problems. By water authority regulations your boosted pump mustn't draw more than 12lpm from the mains supply. In my case if I were to flush my r/o with a booster pump I would fall foul of the regulations as the water free flowing from our back tap is 13lpm. That 13lpm is no problem in itself but if I drew 13lpm with a booster it would.

When Alex sold r/os and booster pumps he stated on his web page that booster pumps should not be switch on during flushing with 4021 and 4040 units.

The reason for buying a booster pump is because of low water pressure. Low water pressure can also mean low water flow. If we had this problem then using a booster pump on flush would impact on the other 4 houses in our cul-de-sac as we are the last house on the water ring main.
For me it's easier to do a 1 minute flush each day after production otherwise I'll forget and it will still be flushing 30 minutes plus later ? 

Back