Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What do you oh guys do when it's potential thunderstorms?

I'm guessing it can be dangerous so was wondering what you all do how to know when to call it quits that day ? 
I will not work in a thunderstorm,forecasts potential thunderstorms till think Thursday. Worked all day Monday when potential thunderstorm anticipated and not a drop of rain...will do same today, not bothered with the potential part of the thunderstorm...just actual happening thunderstorm...then down tools.

I'm guessing it can be dangerous so was wondering what you all do how to know when to call it quits that day ? 
The loudness of the thunder clap will tell you how close the lightening is. You then use your intelligence to finish of and leave.

Thunderstorms are forecast for today and tomorrow. We will just keep an eye open.

The outlook has been updated since last night to all day today and nothing tomorrow. However, they also say we have less that a 5% chance of rain all day apart from 2 o'clock where it's a 10% chance.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
No different to a forecast of potential rain, fill the van and get out to work and if they happen to get the weather right then pack up and go home if the weather gets really bad.
Yeah just get out there, half the time what they forecast never actually happens or it does happen but less severe than anticipated. As this bloke says...if it does get that bad...just go home and pick up where you left off

Just mind lightning can strike up to 5 miles away from a storm (if I'm not mistaken). I just don't wear headphones when thunder forecast, so I can listen out and don't get too distracted. 

It would be unwise to work in a thunder storm especially if using a carbon pole  you would be asking for trouble , working in rain though isn’t a problem.  

If it's distant rumblings and obviously a passing storm I keep working as I'm surrounded by houses so not likely to be a 'target.' But if it's an approaching storm, then I usually take cover in my motor.  You can usually tell by looking a the sky and looking at the direction the clouds are moving,

It's worth noting that meteorologists say the rule of thumb is, 'if you can hear thunder then the lightning could reach you.'  But you would have to be very unfortunate to be hit.

9 hours ago, Master Jedi Alejandro said:

cars act as a faraday cage in thunderstorms, just don't touch any metal parts.

First time I've seen that. Thanks. Most informative.

Nobody would had siphicated equipment to test this in Africa. Sadly people who got killed by lightning were ones who took shelter under trees.

First time I've seen that. Thanks. Most informative.

Nobody would had siphicated equipment to test this in Africa. Sadly people who got killed by lightning were ones who took shelter under trees.
Lee Trevino was struck on a golf course. He was asked what he would do next time. He said he'd get his 1 iron out and point it to the sky because even God cant hit a 1 iron

Back