Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning spray painted upvc?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ched999uk

I have noticed that people are getting their white upvc windows, gfs and doors sprayed a dark colour. I watched a neighbour have theirs done about 12 months ago. I think they were cowboys who did it as they worked out of an old Jag!!!

Anyway just noticed today that I can see the white upvc showing on their gutter brackets and the gutter it's self - mainly at expansion joints.

So do you use any special methods to clean the windows or gfs to ensure you don't remove more paint? Should you inform the customer that the paint may come off when you clean as it's a naff job or refuse to clean?

Any thoughts?

I have noticed that people are getting their white upvc windows, gfs and doors sprayed a dark colour. I watched a neighbour have theirs done about 12 months ago. I think they were cowboys who did it as they worked out of an old Jag!!!

Anyway just noticed today that I can see the white upvc showing on their gutter brackets and the gutter it's self - mainly at expansion joints.

So do you use any special methods to clean the windows or gfs to ensure you don't remove more paint? Should you inform the customer that the paint may come off when you clean as it's a naff job or refuse to clean?

Any thoughts?
We usually clean scuff marks off white upvc doors and door frames with an abrasive cleaner such as 'The Pink Stuff.' We won't touch painted upvc now as I've noticed the oxide paint on the cloth in the past. Every time we do this we are making the paint film thinner. I have seen some where the white upvc frame is showing through due to weathering.

Any thoughts?
I'd always tell the customer and let them decide. Wouldn't want to be blamed for others shoddy workmanship and as they've probably disappeared without trace you're the next one in the firing line when the custy spots it as well.

I've never heard of spraying the uPVC dark, sounds like a recipe for trouble long term. As they say "there's one born every minute".

I would point out that there is a risk of the colour coming off with regular cleaning and leave the ball in their court.

I've never heard of spraying the uPVC dark, sounds like a recipe for trouble long term. As they say "there's one born every minute".

I would point out that there is a risk of the colour coming off with regular cleaning and leave the ball in their court.
A 2 story house round the corner from us had their window frames, gutters, facia, downpipes etc all sprayed a dark grey last year. Just after they had the roof pressure washed with blokes walking on the tiles with zero safety equipment!!!!

There seems to be a trend on new houses to have coloured upvc and I think that is prompting people to think it's modern. Then there are companies sprouting up offering to spray upvc frames but this one over the road is starting to look look like the paint is wearing off!! If it gets worse I think they will have to either have it removed or repainted!!!!

A 2 story house round the corner from us had their window frames, gutters, facia, downpipes etc all sprayed a dark grey last year. Just after they had the roof pressure washed with blokes walking on the tiles with zero safety equipment!!!!

There seems to be a trend on new houses to have coloured upvc and I think that is prompting people to think it's modern. Then there are companies sprouting up offering to spray upvc frames but this one over the road is starting to look look like the paint is wearing off!! If it gets worse I think they will have to either have it removed or repainted!!!!
Its good if you are selling but nothing seems to stick to plastic for very long. When I PW a roof I'm usually sitting down all the time because i have a 90 degree bend on my lance but i need 2kgs of lead to work as a counterbalance. I'm getting more enquires regarding roof cleaning and the money is good. Did one over the weekend and i didn't realise how dirty it was with moss.

pop1.jpg

We get a mid wood finish uPVC which looks really good, in fact I had my front door done in that finish and I really like it. Not like the simulated dark wood c**p that was popular twenty plus years ago. We also get a mid grey finish which seems to be the new trendy.

The other thing we get is grey anodized aluminium, near the sea that's not a clever option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not had any issues at all I have some that have had their composite doors painted a different colour and one job that has had all the doors and windows done and it has all held up well the only issue so far is black run marks off the window seals which I explained I wouldn't be able to remove in case I damaged the paint which they fully understood, 

One custy painted his own metal faced front door but clearly didn't prep the surface as the paint comes off as soon as put the brush on the door so now I just rinse the door down. 

Back