Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Battery to battery charger

HWCS

Cant use split relay in my new van so have bought a sterling ultra pro battery to battery charger, but have been advised to NOT mount in rear of my van and put it under passenger seat due to damp, does anybody have one in the back of their van, and if so any problems?

Screenshot_20200814-081400_Chrome.jpg

??? wouldn't have the foggiest, only just manage to change a plug. Mine's fitted on the tank frame, if water is a potential problem then I'd fit it away from any potential rain problems.
I think PF fit them on a mounting plate that has a curved lid to protect it against spills.

I've done the same with some plastic guttering.

Although it has an IP rating is's only IP21 =

2: Intrusion protection = Protected against solid objects over 12mm, e.g. fingers.

1: Moisture Protection = Protected against vertically falling drops of water, e.g. condensation.

So IF you can ensure no drips from wfp they you should be fine. I would be tempted if possible to mount under a seat as it's not a cheap bit of kit and unless you monitor batt voltage daily you won't know the B2B is damaged till your battery is flat!!!

Although it has an IP rating is's only IP21 =

2: Intrusion protection = Protected against solid objects over 12mm, e.g. fingers.

1: Moisture Protection = Protected against vertically falling drops of water, e.g. condensation.

So IF you can ensure no drips from wfp they you should be fine. I would be tempted if possible to mount under a seat as it's not a cheap bit of kit and unless you monitor batt voltage daily you won't know the B2B is damaged till your battery is flat!!!
Cheers mate, will look at under passenger seat as an option or on bulkhead in the cab

Is it all new vans that need one of these? I'm thinking specifically a 2l 70 plate expert... ? and can anyone point me in the direction of the exact one I will need?!

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all newish vans have smart alternators. Some manufacturers sell a package that makes the van more fuel efficient - like lower rolling resistance tyres, smart alternators, aero devices etc.

There are a few ways to see if you have a smart alternator. First is to ask manufacturer giving them your vin number, second is using a multimeter (or maybe ODB adapter and app). Find a local auto electrician and get them to test.

As for which charger - a Sterling Battery to Battery is a good option although not cheap. 

Just be aware that if you only do a few miles each day then even a B2B charger might not be enough to charge up the battery over a few miles.

Not all newish vans have smart alternators. Some manufacturers sell a package that makes the van more fuel efficient - like lower rolling resistance tyres, smart alternators, aero devices etc.

There are a few ways to see if you have a smart alternator. First is to ask manufacturer giving them your vin number, second is using a multimeter (or maybe ODB adapter and app). Find a local auto electrician and get them to test.

As for which charger - a Sterling Battery to Battery is a good option although not cheap. 

Just be aware that if you only do a few miles each day then even a B2B charger might not be enough to charge up the battery over a few miles.
Thanks mate, I was wondering which Sterling batt to batt to use? There seems to be a shed load of options haha!!

Thanks mate, I was wondering which Sterling batt to batt to use? There seems to be a shed load of options haha!!
The Sterling BB1230 is good and they have a good customer support reputation. It can put a max of 30A in to the leisure battery which is quite a bit. 

Thanks a lot!
I have a BB1260. A BB1230 is fine. A leisure battery will only accept the charge it can absorb. So even after a long day with 2 pumps going the charge rate will quickly drop to around 8 amps. That's the way lead acid batteries work.

If you went the Li-ion route then those batteries will accept a mega charge rate. In fact when charging a Lithium Ion battery bank in a marine environment they fit a temperature probe to the alternator which triggers an electronic gizmo that reduces alternator output until the alternator cools down.

I did ask George Sterling Junior about the difference in charge rate between normal alternator charging through a split charge relay and the same charging alternator using a BB1260. He didn't answer the question.

In my particular case I find the b2b charger works better. However, I also find that when I switch the engine off the B2B charger stays connected and continues to draw current from the starter battery until the starter battery drops to 12.6v. Every morning my starter battery is 80% charged. There is a solution to this but it isn't the perfect solution.

The way I know this happens is that I have a Victron battery monitor attached to my system. It monitors the leisure battery but also shows the starter battery voltage as well.

Back