Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

White lichen not moving

mike-71

Any one help , I have mixed 1litre  

hypo to 3 litres water for a small job, left for about an hour but the lichen still there , will it remove when I jet or not? 
Complete newbie to using this stuff ,

flags come up a treat , natural stone steps seem to have turned orangish .. Help!!!!!

??

thanks in advance 

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno mate, you sure thats not there normal colour?

Ive had it a few times when surfaces have been cleaned its not the colour the customer remembered

Dunno mate, you sure thats not there normal colour?

Ive had it a few times when surfaces have been cleaned its not the colour the customer remembered
It’s quite possible mate , she seemed happy in the end lol just I couldn’t have possibly guessed they would be that colour underneath ?

Hypo on its own will kill the liken but unless it’s pressure washed it won’t come off immediately it will take a few weeks , if you hypo it a couple of times , leave it 20-45 muinits pressure wash it will come straight off never have a problem , did  a couple of jobs like this yesterday  came up like new . Hypo will not discolour stone unless there is iron ore in it then it will turn it red/brown things like slate , are especially prone to this , concrete slabs , block drives , etc will not be affected by hypo , but once cleaned they will return to there original colour . 

1CC105D6-C7CE-4D52-9625-24DCDA2A8FA9.jpeg

5C213C54-3752-4732-A78D-68BB19D9D050.jpeg

572AC0F9-1E61-4025-BA02-3EB586EB11AE.jpeg

74EC774E-5D33-4C62-AA73-3F2293F0AD65.jpeg

Hypo on its own will kill the liken but unless it’s pressure washed it won’t come off immediately it will take a few weeks , if you hypo it a couple of times , leave it 20-45 muinits pressure wash it will come straight off never have a problem , did  a couple of jobs like this yesterday  came up like new . Hypo will not discolour stone unless there is iron ore in it then it will turn it red/brown things like slate , are especially prone to this , concrete slabs , block drives , etc will not be affected by hypo , but once cleaned they will return to there original colour . 

View attachment 21631

View attachment 21632

View attachment 21633

View attachment 21634
How did you go about the sandstone @pjj ? I find them hard with hypo alone, usually give them a very light pressure wash first (40° fan nozzle) 

View attachment 21631

View attachment 21632

View attachment 21633

View attachment 21634
Cheers pjj , the job looked great when finished , all the block paving and flags came up like new.  The steps looked like natural stone and when wet looked orangey but started looking ok when dried out 

How did you go about the sandstone @pjj ? I find them hard with hypo alone, usually give them a very light pressure wash first (40° fan nozzle) 
Did a big sandstone patio yesterday I couldn’t take pictures as  the customer was there ,but when I do  the windows next will try and get some , wet it down with a hose , apply hypo mix 4-1 leave for 20 muinits pressure wash with flat surface cleaner ,do  the edges  with a vario nozzle rinse off job done . We have a lot of houses diwn hear with sandstone window sills , I just wet them down apply neat hypo if really bad with lichen leave 20 muinits keep applying mix to keep it wet light scrub with wfp and they come up like new , we softwash a lot of houses and that’s all we do , picked up 2 houses today to do in the next few weeks . 

Did a big sandstone patio yesterday I couldn’t take pictures as  the customer was there ,but when I do  the windows next will try and get some , wet it down with a hose , apply hypo mix 4-1 leave for 20 muinits pressure wash with flat surface cleaner ,do  the edges  with a vario nozzle rinse off job done . We have a lot of houses diwn hear with sandstone window sills , I just wet them down apply neat hypo if really bad with lichen leave 20 muinits keep applying mix to keep it wet light scrub with wfp and they come up like new , we softwash a lot of houses and that’s all we do , picked up 2 houses today to do in the next few weeks . 
I did an indian sandstone circle with a whirlygig in the centre and it had some big black lichen spots. After softwashing it was still there so i cut up some clothes and soaked them in neat hypo and left them on the spots overnight. This morning I removed them and like a miracle they had vanished. Quick PW and job done, customer was over the moon because nothing would shift them. ?

I did an indian sandstone circle with a whirlygig in the centre and it had some big black lichen spots. After softwashing it was still there so i cut up some clothes and soaked them in neat hypo and left them on the spots overnight. This morning I removed them and like a miracle they had vanished. Quick PW and job done, customer was over the moon because nothing would shift them. ?
Thick toilet gell bleach also works well as it stayes  on the surface and only costs pence , very good for small areas like window sills etc 

Back